December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. Tim, Coronado, CA

Hey Pat!
    Maybe you haven't heard this one yet..."Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!"

December 24, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  2. Griff

And why not! It's Obama's Birthday Tomorrow..... Idiot....

December 24, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  3. tee

welcome to the Obama show

If your not an american Indian. You are foreign as well.

December 24, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  4. Peter

A grade of C-? There's grade inflation for you.

December 24, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  5. 27 Days to Go!!

So "Welcome to the Obama Show" exactly how is PE Obama responsible for your list of "causes" for the economic meltdown??These all happened on Bush's watch!!

And for all of those complaining that PE Obama hasn't done anything...he is NOT the president YET!!

Seeing as 82 % of Americans approve of what Obama has done so far, it must be lonely being in the 18% and spending your days whining and criticizing over and over again on all the blogs!!

December 24, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  6. eugene OR

thanks to the religous right for how they made my miniestry work even harder to get those on the other side tobelieve in God because of their support of the R's. and the way they live and preach. give me a break give up all of your riches [to those who do not live like you are able] if you truely love god.

December 24, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  7. Neil

I'm no Bush fan, but I can't believe a nutcase like Robertson is even getting an audience for his comments. The guy is deranged. Remember, it was Robertson that said Katrina was god's revenge for the evil people of New Orleans.

December 24, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  8. FAYE, NV

Pat Robertson is absolutely right Bush Adm is horrible and he, Bush, did not know how to run the country nor his cabinet.

Obama and his cabinet will have to consider many things and the way business is done here and else where. No more free rides for CEO's, Bankers, Handouts and Non US citizens. If think if there is a website for us to inform the President elect about our concerns then these issues can be addressed.

December 24, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  9. Scott NYC Independent

@Chip Lusko – Apparently you still cling to the false statements of the campaign season. If you catch a few news programs you will learn that the slander thrown about by McCain, Palin and company were lies and misrepresentation in an effort to get your vote. You seem to be one of those that actually believed things you were told without looking up the facts. The internet can be used for that also. Then U can once again embrace the 8th commandment with pride.

December 24, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  10. steve

The real problem is evident from reading some of these other posts. People expect the President to run the show, to take care of every problem that comes along. That expectation IS the problem. Take responsibility for your own situation. What is going on now should stand as a great testament to the inefficiency of government. They have a $3 trillion budget at the federal level, and can't live with that. Estimated GDP in the US this year is going to be around $14 trillion, and probably slightly less next year. If certain campaign promises are carried out, the feds will spend about $6 trillion next year. At what point will we finally have had enough and put an end to this?

December 24, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  11. John in San Diego

Goofs? You call destroying the economy, failing to prevent 9-11, ignoring Katrina, eliminating what little health care children have, and starting pointless wars we are losing – goofs? Bush should sign a pardon for himself. The country should lock him and his accomplices up for life.

December 24, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  12. Matt

Wow what does an F require? Bush running down the sidewalk of Sesame Street gunning down everyone with pride?

December 24, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  13. Big Mike

Yes, Pat, that's right. Obama is not an IDEALOGUE like YOU and the President you supported through two elections. Obama has shown himself to be a PRAGMATIST, and I see him continuing as such after his inauguration.

December 24, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  14. Matt

It MUST be true. You're saying it in all capital letters.

December 24, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  15. Ro in BR

Gee Pat, I really have a problem with a businessman who makes his money off his religion. There is something just un-palatable about it. You remind me of one of the moneychangers Jesus threw out the temple. Then add your foray into politics, and it makes you look like a Pharisee. I'm sorry to be so critical.

December 24, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  16. Dave R., Pawleys Island, SC

Incredible, some Republicans just won't give up and GET OVER IT !! No matter how many of their party leaders come forward like this, they just don't seem to get it. If Robertson's and Powell's comments were the opposite of what they said, these same people would be cheeing. Instead, they consider their comments not credible.

Keep it up. All this negative talk just makes it that much easier for the Dems to win in 2012.

December 24, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  17. Joe Gonzalez

The welcome to Obama show is an IGNORANT,

December 24, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  18. NY republican

Dr. mimi de la cruz – Welcome to America, now type English!

December 24, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  19. Paul J

Maik F. , Correct separation of church and state isn't specifically mentioned in the constitution but that is what it has been interpreted to mean within the context of the law. The supreme court has used this very phrase in several opinions. So whether it is specifically written in those exact words in the first amendment, that is how it has always been interpreted by the highest court and thus, every other court in the land.

December 24, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  20. William

If Bush had not been so bad a president, the country would have never found the nerve to elect Obama. I hate the incompetence of Bush, but I like our prospects with Obama. I'm afraid the second required the first. WHJ

December 24, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  21. NY republican

Once again we find someone that can't spell questioning someone else's iintelligence, Thank you Dr. Mimi you and those like you make this SO easy!

December 24, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  22. SR

He hit the nail right on the head this time.I hope some of our people read this with an open mind and join with us to help Obama right this ship. HAPPY HOLIDAYS

December 24, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  23. dan

I agree with Robertson about Bush's mistakes and I applaud him for coming forward. All these mistakes are partially his–and other prominent Republican leaders–fault, though, because they were silent about his mistakes until now–when it's too late. If they had spoken up throughout his presidency, correcting him when he was wrong, things might be in better shape now. Instead, Robertson stood by silently and watched, making him culpable in the whole mess.

December 24, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  24. Darren

Let us keep in mind that it's people like Pat that have had this country's ear for the last decade – THEY are largely to blame for all this, as they were the ones beating Bush's drum the loudest. Add to that list Hannity, Rush, etc.

Time for the US to learn the meaning of 'credibility' and dump the voices that led us to disaster.

December 24, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  25. PJ

To "Welcome to Barack Obama show":

I am an immigrant who has become a citizen. Just FYI, I do not stand in line for hand outs. I probably pay more taxes in a year than you have paid a life time. So, stop this immigrant bashing and focus on people like you. You are the reason why America is in this state now.

December 24, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |