December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. Phil in KC

I heard him make those comments on CNN and I have to say I thought it was pretty remarkable. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

December 24, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  2. Free from Religion

Anyone who believes in their religion that was told to them by there parents which was told to them by theirs which was written down thousands of years ago is just s stupid puppet unwilling to admit that the world as they know it is a fraud. We should not hate these people but feel sorry for them because they are not free. They are prisoners and are to be pitied in the same way that we pity addicts. The only reason this idea seems a bit crazy is that they have the power of numbers or what they call group think. The funny thing is many religious people know everything they think is a sham but to admit it would estrange them from evryone they care about so they just go along with the lie and turn off the critical thinking section of their brain when it comes to spirituality and religion.

December 24, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  3. Judy D.

I admire him for his honesty, and for being supportive of Obama. It's a good sign for the country that some of the divisiveness is starting to melt.

December 24, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  4. C freakin minus???

Come on now.....W deserves way worse than a C -.

He wasn't slightly below average. He's the worst president in modern history hands down.

December 24, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  5. Mike

The most significant value that the Bush Administration and the Republican party have given us over the past 8 years is that "greed" is a good thing! Greed has invaded this entire country in every aspect and it has become the highest praised attribute that a citizen can have now. What ever happened to the United States where everyone looked out for each other. We still have these good virtues in this country's soul we just need to have someone lead us out of our current values and let's all start working together for the common good. WE CAN DO THIS!

December 24, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  6. Loyal Democrat in MD

C'mon folks! Give the devil his due...You know that Pat ios being honest & forthright. LOL!!

December 24, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  7. jAMES

My oh my. Tracy Chapman sang a song one entitled "Please give the President, my honest regard, for disregarding me. "W" is coming back to Texas and I am just sick about that. Dick Chaney is headed to Wyoming. These two criminal(s), along with Condi, Karl Rove, (studid)Scooter, Donald Rumsfied, all should be hanged. This team did single handed what the "terrorist" could not do, destrod our cpuntry.

Bush, move to the cave w/ Osabama, and take your posse with you.
    Loser,Loser,Loser Texas is in BIG Trouble. $2 million home in the swany Dallas suburd. Meanwhile, many Americans are sleeping. I hope you have night mares for the rest of your life.

/jw

December 24, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  8. Griff

Where is Borack Obama today??? After all the promises he made, to all the Toto's.... He must be Sad-da Clause,,, I know the Toto's......
    "Change you can believe in", 50c in Pennies......

December 24, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  9. Virginia Republican

Texas Teacher--The Unitarian church is not a Christian church. They are humanists who do not believe that Jesus Christ is God's Son and our Savior. Don't call that church Christian when it isn't.

December 24, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  10. mary dale

Gee Pat, buyers remorse? You and the other millionaire religious freaks are why we had GWB pushed down our throats. You are the ones the made your gullible followers think that abortion was the only issue that was important in a president. Did you really think GWB cared about those issues? Grow up, hopefully lessons learned and you will keep out of future elections.

December 24, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  11. H-Town

The last eight years are the "lost years". Just unbridled supply-side, figure it out for yourself while we send more jobs overseas economics.

December 24, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  12. Archie_Leach

Calling DROOLING KNUCKLE DRAGGING rightwing reactionary SH!T-F0R-BRAINS VERMIN like palin and coulter and SCUM limbaugh "conservatives" is an ABSOLUTE insult to the term "conservative". No, VERMIN like palin and coulter and SCUM limbaugh are VERMIN and it's that simple.

December 24, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  13. Lucas

Hey Obama-Mama...do you even know where the term "redneck" came from? I doubt it. I actually do not take offense to that slang term. The term stemmed from a reporter calling the miners (who traveled from Charleston, WV to Wingo in protesting of the abuse by mine-owners of non-union mine workers) "rednecks" because to distinguish themselves from the gangs these mine-owners hired, the miners wore red bandannas around their necks.

December 24, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  14. Dave

Serious goofs? Ya think ? Thanks, Einstein for that input. Bush is an idiot and so are you. Go drop off the face of the earth somewhere, Pat.

December 24, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  15. Stacy from Leesburg VA

Pat Robertson denouncing President Bush is like Satan denouncing sin. I have news for you Mr. Robertson, he was your candidate and you had “visions” from God that he would win. You Christian Coalition types have done a real number on this country by backing this disaster of a man. I think it’s hypocritical to be criticizing him now. You goons should just do what you do best: go on the air and fleece your flock. Stay out of Washington, for the love of God.

December 24, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  16. Gracie

CAN YOU SAY BACK STABBERS????

The same OLD WHITE REPUBLICAN MEN BEING TWO-FACED whenever it's convenient for THEM!!!!

December 24, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  17. Joe

"THIS COUNTRY IS GOING DOWN FOR MORE REASONS THAN BUSH!!"

Indeed. Add people who write in all uppercase to your list of the reasons the country is going down.
    Your keyboard has lowercase letters. Use them.

December 24, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  18. John Ring

Totally awesome that he waited to say any of this until Bush's last days in office. Completely believable, too; I can understand why this man is considered a moral beacon by so many.

December 24, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  19. HEPETTE

i am just wondering y this moralist didnt say anything BEFORE??????. the right wingers need to get in line. THE LIBERALS WON DO YOU GET IT?????????????????????????all you right wing crybabies just shut up ok? people are tired of you whining all the time. get with the program and be productive instead of trying to always run the show............you guys ran the show and look what happened!!!!!!!!

December 24, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  20. Johan

For any one of you who actually care to look at the entire picture, Robertson has criticized the Bush administration on several occasions throughout both terms. Do you really think that CNN publicizing this one makes it 'special'? There's such a lack of critical thinking skills on *both* sides of the political spectrum it seems.

December 24, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  21. California Girl

This sorry excuse for Elmer Gantry is the biggest hypocrite I have ever seen. He was all over GWB during the last 8 years. Now all of the sudden he had some issues with the guy? Pat, we aren't that dumb.

December 24, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  22. Jumpin jack

Well well. Somewhere in hell there's a snowball sitting comfortably. Christmas still has miracles.

December 24, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  23. joethedumber

"The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible"
    I remember what he said at the time of these events. He blamed gays for Katrina, and he promoted the war as a second crusade.

December 24, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  24. Anne E.

Robertson is one more neocon who needs to clam up.
    IS IT JAN. 20TH YET???

December 24, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  25. Dave

Hey Mrs.Obama....Are you off your medicine? The elections are every 4 years....not 8!!!
    Get a life