December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. Jimmy C.

The reality is that President's are niether "all good" or "all bad" but somewhere in between. For example GWB led our Country into War w/o preparing the public properly and seeing through the intelligence failure as he calls it. But GWB turned the good guys loose to chase and eliminate the bad guys , keeping us safe. On balance not a very good Pres. by measure today, but let history judge.
    Remember noone like JCarter but if you look back he was right on many things including energy conservation. Just think where we would be had we stayed on this course. We would not need the oil we shed teasure and life on today.
    Agree, I thought so.

December 24, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  2. Betty the maid

AMEN!!!!!! Bush is the worlds most hated man and has been a royal fuc up as a president...I hope he rots in hell
    WE LOVE OBAMA!!!!

December 24, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  3. MK

To Bush and Cheney, I give a big lump of coal and my sincere wish that they are tried war crimes and placed in jail. To all of you who think different, go to hell.

December 24, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  4. Carrie Goodeagle Hayden, Idaho

Pat Robertson a Christian? I don't think so, he's the evil person that wanted to have Hugo Chavez taken out by the CIA. Who cares what this idiot thinks. Why is CNN even giving this evil person any credibility? His opinion is worthless. He belongs in a sci-fi world.

December 24, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  5. morleyl

Middle ground is hard to find. The main issue on both sides of the fence is morals.. Good mean you should be willing to give and help others while on the other end it should not mean that everything goes.. The liberals especially then to feel that people should tolerate sinful practices while the right then to be self-righteous about what is really right to help people grow..

December 24, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  6. Carrie Goodeagle Hayden, Idaho

Pat Robertson a Christian? I don't think so, he's the nasty person that wanted to have Hugo Chavez taken out by the CIA. Who cares what this idiot thinks. Why is CNN even giving this person any credibility? His opinion is worthless. He belongs in a sci-fi world.

December 24, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  7. RG, Texas

TO WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what your problem is when you say:

". MAKING FOREIGN PEOPLE AMERICAN CITIZENS AND THEN LETTING THEM STAND IN LINE WITH THE REST OF THE LAZY PEOPLE FOR FREE HANDOUTS."

We too came from another country, and became US citizens.
    When the nation called, my son, like thousands of others, joined the US Marines, and ultimately gave up his life so that someone like you also has the freedom to spew hatred in blogs.

So, here is a Christmas present to you – enjoy life, while my son is at his final posting station.

People like you make me sick!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 24, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  8. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Bush and Cheney equal a two-headed monster.... I'm so happy that they will retire in comfort and that they handed so many profits to big oil.

I HOPE THEY ROT IN HELL

December 24, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  9. Obama, first non-US citizen President!

Stop blaming Bush. He stunk, yeh, but if Clinton had done his job, there would be no 9-11. Then the country was in a recession when he took office, again, from Clinton. Bush sucked yep, but Clinton didn't leave a good mark.

Come on you left wing nuts, let me have it about your two saviors Obama and Clinton.

December 24, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  10. Yahbut

Personally, I have a very low opinion of Pat Robertson so any comments he makes about anything I take with a grain of salt.

December 24, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  11. Paul C.

I never thought that I would say it but I agree with Pat although he is way too kind. I would use much harsher language.

December 24, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  12. Bubba Bruce

Pat, did God lead you to make political criticisms of another Christian? Do you really know all the facts, or have you just been listening to the hate-Bush media? You need to apologize to the President of the United States for remarks of which you know nothing.

December 24, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  13. David Ray

Bush and Cheney are both war criminals and they both deserve to be taken in front of a world court and tried for crimes against humanity. And then maybe we can all have a necktie party that was afforded Saddam.

December 24, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. Mike G

Never listen to people who type in ALL CAPS LOCK.

It's the online version of a screaming retard.

December 24, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  15. Laughing Democrat

Let the republican circular firing squad continue indefinitely!

December 24, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  16. JP Bless

Where was Pat Robertson the past 8 years? Sounds like he just woke up from lingering coma.

December 24, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  17. The Artful Dodger

PEOPLE WHO WRITE IN ALL CAPS ARE IDIOTS!!!!!!

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

December 24, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  18. Rocky

Why should we even care what this nutcase thinks. He and fellow evangelicals got us a Bush for the past 8 years. It must be a real slow news day!

December 24, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  19. Alan Louis

When will people wake up and realize that the only thing that Pat Robertson cares about is furthering his own fortune. He can deliver all sorts of predictions from God as long as people keep sending the checks. He is just some guy. He has always been just some guy. He doesn't speak for God!

December 24, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  20. Pat in IL

This is sort of like the pot calling the kettle black. Robertson has done his share of harm, too. Oh well, at least he's getting wiser as he gets older.

December 24, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  21. Dennis

A grade of C-minus sounds appropriate, given the lack of intellectual talent in this administration. If the needed answer wasn't spelled out in the neo-con or PNAC palybook, there was no hope of getting anything done.

December 24, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  22. ANGIE

Well Far right Religious nuts what do you think about this the Pastor is right Bush was a complete Failure he sold us out Barack is gonna be a great President !! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

December 24, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  23. Amber

@Maik:

Perhaps there is no defined "separation between Church and State." However, I certainly do not feel worthy enough to lord my religion over all the peoples–I prefer to let each and all seek their own path toward the Light, whether Christian or no. Who can judge another's enlightenment?

@Texas Teacher:
    The Unitarian Church in general is extremely tolerant and kind willed towards all seekers. I visited one this past Sunday and was quite pleased.

@SG:
    Obama can't do much about the economy yet–he's not the President, nor is he a Senator any longer. Thus he cannot participate in the legal process until he is officially sworn in. Until then, all he can do is influence the process–not create it.

Thank you.

December 24, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  24. Paul C.

welcometotheobamashow, you come across as being a bitter deluded living in denial idiot. First, using all caps demonstrates an inferior and pitiful mind. Second, that is one of the most blatant examples denial that I have ever seen. Anyways, people like you are an anachronism now and you have no credibility whatsoever so there goes whatever argument you tried to make down in flames. History will not be kind to the village idiot and anyone and I mean anyone defending this man is either stupid, a corporate CEO, a religious fanatical christian wannabe or is mentally ill. I could write 15 pages of posts and that still scratches the surface! No doubt he will be remembered as the worst president we've ever had and I knew he would be from day one. He stole the election from Gore in 2000 and convinced enough sheeple fools in this country to go for him over Kerry so that's it righties. You have nothing to stand on and should be ashamed and atoning for your choice of this man instead of doing some pathetic limp argument trying to make Obama look bad. But do keep doing it because you'll just keep losing elections! As the song goes and it meant towards Bush... "hit the road Jack and don't ya come back no more no more no more no more:!

December 24, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  25. Brad

Pat Robertson is just as bad as Bush, so I'm not sure exactly what he's criticizing. Robertson's extreme intolerance to anything other than his screwed up brand of Christianity has only propped up the Bush admin for the last 8 years. He's using religion for his own personal and political gain.

Pat Robertson just needs to go away!

December 24, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |