December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. ran

Robertson has some nerve to criticize anyone. His hateful speech is one of the reason this country is so divided. He is right concerning Bush being so bad but Robertson has not helped.

December 24, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  2. Hewitt

This is just a further example of the Republican party splitting itself. I doubt that the religious right will be a major part of the party in the coming years. CNN even did a report on younger Evangelicals caring less and less about wedge issues like gay marriage and abortion. They are starting to care more about issues that both parties attempt to address, such as poverty and AIDS. Obama's choice in Rick Warren leading the invocation at his inauguration may infuriating to some of my further left-leaning fellow Democrats, but it truly does signify that he wants to step back from the divisiveness that the Bush administration has inspired. It will take time for us all to realize what is happening, but coming together to solve the most pressing of issues will result in our nation's return to prosperity and world leadership.

December 24, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  3. Dave

the obama zombie jargon never stops... Quit with the YES WE DID garbage already. YES WE DID what? elected clinton 2? The republicans are happy because Obama is a liar. You wanted a liberal and you got a moderate. congratulations fools.

December 24, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  4. jim

We the college voter's voted in Obama, wooohooo! My mother stayed home, and I bet a lot of older people stayed home but it wasn't enough, we took back our future!

December 24, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  5. Pat the prophet

Isn't it a little late to be jumping on the bandwagon?

December 24, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  6. Erik

A C-Minus? Really? Robertson's taking it easy on Dubya, methinks.

Regardless, even though I think Bush has been a disaster, I can't put any faith in anything Robertson says. The guy's a total clown.

December 24, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  7. Leena

I have to actually admire him for stating his honest opinion (and change of mind) in a way that wasn't derogatory or nasty but honest in an open discussion. Qualities of a leader whether you like him or not.

December 24, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  8. Dj

Man... as much as I hate to do it, I am going to have to grudgingly go to the darkside... to read how FOX is spinning this report.

December 24, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  9. Me

If there is a worse hypocrite than Bush, it's Robertson.

December 24, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  10. Carol

I am an Obama supporter but, let's keep in mind that Robertson is a raving loon and whatever he says is just useless babble.

December 24, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  11. Richard N from D.C.

Amen to that.

December 24, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  12. Fred S.

C- is much too kind. Bush and his cadre of fools have caused irreparable damage to the world.

December 24, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  13. grahame

This is just another example of the blame game.

By the time all the blame has been thrown around Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaigh, Micheal Savage, and Sean Hannity will have moved to Wallisa with the other loser who lives there.

If this continues then hopefully the Republicans will go the same direction as David Duke and the KKK, in other words just a footnote in hystory along with Bush and his pseudo terrorist Lon Chaney.

December 24, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  14. Shari, N.Y.

How much more can Bush take? I guess he can't wait to high tail it out of the White House.

December 24, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  15. Bryan

Pat Robertson, the same guy who described Sept 11 as the fault of "America’s abortionists, feminists, gays and A.C.L.U. lawyers" thinks that Katrina should have been handled "more professionally".

Pat, from the whole nation: STFU already, you tired, tired hack.

December 24, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  16. Matt

I think my head just exploded.

December 24, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  17. dlo

very funny Real Change. you see his 'predictions' on wiki? amazing

December 24, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  18. Boston Irish

Amazing how much those two guys look alike in the posted picture. I don't pay anymore attention to what Pat Robertson says than what Jerry Falwell said. Neither have ever said anything of relevance. It's just their opinion, but everything they say is supposed to be taken as the gospel. At times I agree, but tomorrow Robertson will be stating something entirely different. Just as long as he gets his name in print somewhere.

December 24, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  19. Fred

He hates to be critical - he's a republican?

Excuse me?

They've been the most critical bunch of absolutely everyone else over the last 8 years!

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, isn't it?

December 24, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  20. Bea

Oh the hypocrisy

December 24, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  21. Shari, N.Y.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year all!

December 24, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  22. Ken Sawyer

What about the money that evangelist take out of the public and proceed to live high on the hog with while the brethren scrape for a living with no guaranteed gain of anything? I don't see any difference with them than AIG.

December 24, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  23. RinFL

Well I'll be darned, I agree with something that Pat Robertson said. I better get outside to see if cats and dogs are falling from the sky.

December 24, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  24. IL4Obama

Republicans do not equal Christians. Christians are in both parties. It is good to see some Christian leaders make objective comments.

Pure Capitalist Republicans are the real problem. They wrap themselves in Christianity when they are attacked. Then tell the Christians they are being attacked and should support them. Not all of us are fooled.

Jesus would not support Capitalism. If we can't get rid of greed, it may be the best we can do. Socialism may not be the answer, but why aren't we looking for a better system then Capitalism?

December 24, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  25. Riaz

who cares... why is this news?

December 24, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |