December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. Blue America

Wow, gotta love this. Even Pat Robertson is an Obamican. Joy to the world. Welcome to the side of the Good Guys Reverend. Peace on Earth Goodwill to all (even those haters of Team Obama)

December 24, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  2. zaphod2000

Either the end of the world is near or Robertson knows which side to cuddle up to for at least the next eight years, it not longer!
    LOL

December 24, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  3. Griff

A Very Merry Christmas: Mr Bush.... A very Merry Christmas "John McCain.... A Merry Christmas "Wolf Blitzer".... But not "Mr Cafferty"; Just jokeing: Jack!!!

December 24, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  4. dawn

I will truly miss Pres. Bush and Laura. I had always hoped to meet them both and wish them the best as they go bakc to their normal lives

December 24, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  5. sally

that's the christian way. point, point, point that finger especially just before that almighty, uh, something that happened so impacting morons just like this turd.

December 24, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  6. Richard Rohde

Amazing how long CNN leaves these comments open when it's a chance for the lunatic lefties to knock republican. If it is a possible negative story about Hussein or the weirdo damocrats they close it as soon as they can.

December 24, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  7. jack

About time the republicans admit that "W" put the screws to them and the nation.

December 24, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  8. raagos

GO AWAY PLEASE NOBODY CARES WHAT U SAY ANYMORE. BELIEVE ME GUYS HES LYING. HES JUST LIKE BUSHEEEEEE

December 24, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  9. Rickymo

This is the first time I ever agreed with this hate monger but having said that why he has credibility with anyone is beyond me. Like Bush and Cheney he shoudl just go back under the rock he comes from.

December 24, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  10. Cheryl from MN

Brian, the "no child left behind" was Bush's idea not Kennedy's. Bush had that "no child left behind" running in TX long before he became President. Maybe he had Kennedy twik it a little but it was Bush's baby. Do your research on that. Also, I am a harding working American and I have been working 2 to 3 jobs for the past 10 years with NO vacation or benefits. So if Obama wants to help out those that are less fortunate than those at the top, those that make $250,000/year, is fine by me. And I am all for the national health care plan he has. The Mayo Clinic refuses me medical care because I owe them $900 and I cannot afford to pay it. I barely have enough to pay all my bills and I am 2 months behind in my mortgage. Hey I welcome any change, Obama can't do a thing right now, he hasn't taken office yet. Instead of running him down like so many do, wait and see what he does. He just might surprise you and all the rest of us and turn things again. You said we will see the economy go into a downward spiral that will take years to fix when he takes office. Where have you been Brian? That is what has been happening the past 8 years with Bush and his cronies in office. I have HOPE Obama will do this country GOOD. Thats all I have left, is HOPE!

December 24, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  11. Rick Winet

Pat Robertson, a former candidate for president himself, has thrown in the towel like many other so-called Republicans. I wonder if Rev. Robertson is "remarkably impressed" with Obama's position on social issues. Can Mr. Robertson be impressed with the fradulent or ignorant refrain of building the economy "from the bottom up"?
    Maybe Pat Robertson is just a "Ross Perot populist" after all – these comments disqualify him as a serious leader in my party.

December 24, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  12. Steven Grimes Manchester, NH

Uh, yeah.....right, Brian.....Bush was, uh...."liberal"....and....uh.... that's why he failed. Wow, what a perfect example of a mind unable to comprehend any occurence that cannot be described in black or white terms...in other words, a moron. Yeah, Brian, let's return to the days of Dan Quayle, that's the answer. Because Quayle achieved so much. People should be forced to take IQ tests at birth and then put into concentration camps if they score less than 130. Any guess as to where you'd end up?

December 24, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  13. JD

For once, Pat Robertson is right – GWB has been a terrible president. Of course, Mr. Robertson is a genuinely bad person. Supporting the murder of the Venezuelan president? That, in addition to his well-documented intolerance of whole swathes of society, is not indicative of a particularly Christian mindset.

December 24, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  14. Anonymous

It's pretty bad when even Pat Robertson criticizes a Republican president. I mean Pat is a nut case himself and not someone I find credible either. I wish he'd just shut up and go away.

December 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  15. Brian MacDougall

Let's see: Bush has carried water for Robertson for eight years. Bush only did what Robertson and others of his ilk wanted him to do. And now he gets slammed for it.

Who's slimier, Bush or Robertson? Gee, that's a tough one.

December 24, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  16. Stacey

@Welcome To The Obama Show – What tool did Obama use to win the election? How come you haters can't get over the fact that you lost the election big time? As far as giving away free money to people who could work, what people are you talking about? The folks in Wasilla, Alaska? The majority of people on welfare are white, so what folks are you talking about. Obama hasn't sent any jobs overseas – Bush and Cheney did. And as far as prision, if anybody should go to jail it should be George Bush, Dick Cheney and Carl Rove. Talk about crooks! Obama will be the 44th President of the United States so get over it racist pig. Happy Holidays!

December 24, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  17. david

The current economic mess has its roots in the 1950's and has steadily picked up momentum since the 1980's and went into warp drive with the Bush/Cheny administration and congressional control by the Republicans aided and abetted by the Democrats. What is killing our economy is the same thing that killed the goose that laid the golden eggs... Greed at the Top.

December 24, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  18. Dave W

bush is a buffoon and had no business being president. If we had elected a bucket of sand, or a sheet of plywood as president, would we be any worse off today?

I wish the goof best of luck with the building of the bush library. Will that be for the books that he has already colored in all the pretty pictures?

December 24, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  19. GW

Robertson is right about Bush but probably not being honest about what he really believes about him. He knows that he must 'get in good' with many of his viewers esp. the Afro Americans and younger Americans who voted for Obama. If Robertson would spend all of his time denouncing what he believes to be Obama's 'Liberal Ideals' and condemning him then he would loose financial support.

December 24, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  20. Smith568

Who gives a toss what this tired old bigot has to say, even if he does want to jump on the bandwagon and bash the worst President in US history now, after supporting the man for over 8 years. Pat Robertson is nothing more than a con artist interested in separating fools from their money...

December 24, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  21. George E

A guy named Bush was elected in 2000 ...by the supreme court. Destroyed the Republican party. Destroyed the US dollar. Destroyed America's reputation. Destroyed capitalism and revived mercantilism. Destroyed trust in government. 9/11 happened on his watch. Mishandled Katrina. Created the largest deficit on record. Asked for 700B to crash the stock market so his friends can short the DOW and global markets. Foreclosures at all time high. Unemployment rising. Gas price manipulation. Decimated 401Ks and pensions. Health Insurance catastrophe. 4000+ dead marines in Iraq. 50000+ gravely wounded marines. The court of America asks: how do you respond to these charges?
    All the while Pat Robertson stood silent....until now. He now realizes there is no way oil can fall from $148 to $36 in 3 months on its own...And that cutting taxes for the ultra-rich does not produce a single job but instead creates crumbling infrastructure and bankrupt state governments....And that fighting 2 wars and cutting taxes at the same time is suicidal...And that dogma will always be inferior to pragmatism. Only Bobby Jindal can save the GOP....if the party can get over its dogmatic theme.

December 24, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  22. Greg

As an actual fan of George W., I must say that I will NEVER vote to re-elect a president again in my lifetime. Every president since FDR would have been better off with running for office just once and then moving on. Heck George W. might have been remembered as one of our greatest, what with 9/11 and all. The voters did his pop a tremendous favor by not re-electing him and I hope that Mr. Obama has that good fortune as well. The Office of the President is just too much for any human being it seems, at least over an eight year stretch.

December 24, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  23. Other Polar Bears Against Palen

God bless you, Pat Robertson!

I also agree with what he said about Palen being a category 5 moron.

December 24, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. Badger

To Welocome to the Obama show,
    The illegals are here because the Republicans wanted them here for cheap labor. Remember Ronnie Reagan gave them amnesty in 1986. They probably don't talk about that on Rush's show though. Free(not Fair) trade is also a staple of the Republican party. Another republi-troll parroting the neo-con talk radio morons.

December 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  25. Greg, San Francisco, CA

Hmm, Robertson praises Bush for 8 years then castigates him a month before he leaves office. How brave. I give him until the first crisis hits the Obama Administration for him to turn around and criticize Barack.

December 24, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |