December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. Dave, Illinois

Pat Robertson is a babbling old fool that does not represent most Christians. Take the camera away and he is nothing. I appreciate humble servents of the Lord, not celebrities that will say anything to stay relevent.
    As far as Bush is concerned, my opinion is that he is insulted the most because he has done the most. Clinton was popular because he talked a lot. Thus, the Dems found another talker in Obama. I am looking forward to Jan. 20 so that I can blame Obama for everything bad that happens during his time in office.

December 24, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  2. dg

If believe Bush administration isn't responsible for the mess the US is in then your either a hardcore Republican or an idiot

December 24, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  3. Charles

If Pat Robertson gives Bush a C-, you can imagine what the grade for the worst president in history really is: it's an F.

December 24, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  4. David

Maik F., you are a perfect example of why the Republicans like to keep Americans undereducated. You claim the Constitution does not say, "separation of church and state" and you cannot even see that the part of the Constitution that you cite, speaks of that, "Congress shall make no law..." Apparently, everything must be spelled out exactly for you. But, sometimes it is not and that is why we have a Supreme Court (although, admittedly, even they were unable to figure out that the second amendment was based on having a militia).

December 24, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  5. Bob

I would like to debunk most of the comments regarding Christians made by the radicals on both sides in these posts. As a Christian, I take great offense at the implication by many of you that all Christians are Religious Fanantics (the connotation in this instance being something evil) and Right Wingers. All Christians are not Right Wingers and we definitely are not all Republicans. Likewise all Democrats are not Atheists or Agnostics. I have many friends who are both Christians and Democrats. Pat Robertson, just like you and me, is an individual. He does not speak for me or express the beliefs of ALL Christians. He speaks for himself, only. So please leave out the stereotypical comments in your posts. If you want to comment on Pat Robertson, fine, but don't paint all Christians with the same brush strokes as you are painting him.

December 24, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  6. Mel of Alexandria, Virginia

This is also the result of a Ponzi Christianity, placing party politics above
    truth and what is best for the Nation

December 24, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  7. MorningStar

Now this is new....

December 24, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  8. Will18E

This is incredible. Pat Robertson is pulling a Jennifer Aniston.
    These type will say and do anything get media attention, and pretend to be relevant. Because who do you really think Robertson voted for?

December 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. Charles

Obama show is a total fool...Everything you name as problems in this society currently are the very things that were facilitated by the Bush Administration..but then you say not to blame him?!?The illegal immigration issue is much deeper and complex than you make it out to be,and the Bush administration did nothing..The economy has crumbled in large part to rampant deregulation of the markets,then watching the current administration sit on their hands why it all collapsed.Sending jobs overseas?!? Guess who facilitated and caused that buddy......BUSH? you are a flat moron,and part of the problem..Citizens like you whos IQ is flat out too low to be able to understand complex issues and problems,then act as pessimists before Obama even takes office...shut your mouth fool

December 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  10. Mike Bisaillon

When a right wing yoyo like Roberts gives Bush a C-. What should the rest of us give him? Somehow an F just does not seem to cut it. I think this article says it all. Is it just me or are more and more on the right starting to bail?

December 24, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  11. Robertson the Idiot

Pat Robertson is not someone whose opinion is held in high regard by very many people. His politically oriented and profit motivated ministry is ridden by scandal, self dealing, and greed. A man of the cloth he is not - a man of greed and self promotion, he is. Robertson is trying to catch the eye of Obama to try to get back into the spotlight -- anything that comes out of mouth nowadays has a self interest motive

December 24, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  12. Jaison From NYC

@WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW!!!!!

1, Bush's brain is smaller then 5 yr kids.
    2, America is free for everyone.
    3, Most Immigrants are hard working people too. and they have rights
    to become a citizen too.
    4, All Doctors and Lawyers and All Corporations are greedy too.
    5, Isn't these big Corporations are using tax payers money??
    6, So stop crying and move on with your life. if you don't like it then find
    better place where you can get all kind of help.
    7, Obama has common sense too.
    8, Don't forget unwanted Iraq War too. i am sure which you also have
    supported too right??
    9, My friend life is not fair with anyone. we should be able to take it
    the way it is.
    10, Pray and thanks to god for Good health.

December 24, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. observer

Finally something worth hearing from someone that I never thought I would even bear to listen to. I am goald though that he has come tod eal with his republican party demons.

December 24, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  14. John Starnes Tampa Florida

So where was Pat Robertson's "honesty" the last 8 years as he championed the crimes of the Bush/Cheney regime?

December 24, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  15. Mac

To the "screamer" that claims that this country is going down because of foreign-born US Citizens, among other things: deal with it, OK? The ideology espoused by the Republican Party is well on its way to the trash can of history. Conservatism has proved to be just a hollow shell that works only for those who enrich themselves from its implementation. Deal with it, man. If you don't like it, move somewhere else. Unfortunately for you there aren't any Fascist dictatorships left in the world but you still have Alaska. I'm sure Mrs. Palin will take you in a heartbeat.

December 24, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  16. Jim in Seattle

Why are you still reporting what this nut job has to say? This is not news. Please ignore him so he will go away.

December 24, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. rick

please take your holyier than thou self and clean your own house before trying to clean anothers house..........

December 24, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  18. goofus

Pat who?

December 24, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  19. terry

Pat's true color has come through. There is nothing positive about him. He's taken the easy road and jumped on Bush just like alot of others. I guess he thinks this stand will make him look more favorable among the people that support the new regime. I'm leaning toward he is just another politician with no backbone.

December 24, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  20. Jack in TampaBay

Isn't it PAST time that Pat Robertson shuts up?

December 24, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  21. Jack in TampaBay

Isn't it PAST TIME taht Pat Robertson shuts up?

December 24, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  22. Techn0 Hippi3 Gnostic

Ain't he the same dude that follows ancient scripture? Like I would really listen to him anyway. He and GW are both gay losers. Not anything wrong with being gay, just speculating on them being gay, as I know they are losers.

December 24, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  23. pam Eugene OR

Goofs???
    My God Bush is a criminal who stained the honor of this country. He led us into an illegal war, bankrupt the country and forever created hatred for America. Goofs? Katrina was an disaster that will be with us for years to come due to his total incompetence and will never recover. He water boarded and used torture in our name when he invaded an innocent nation.
    Goofs? He threw our constitution in the mud and created millions and millions of dollars for Halliburton and Cheney and his Wall Street frienda.
    Goofs? Bush should be tried, convicted and never see the light of day again.
    History will be kind to bush if he gets an F!

December 24, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  24. Doug Williams

Mr Richard Rohde, you need to watch other news besides FAUX. Hypocrisy should never be mentioned by a repub.... Get a life.

December 24, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  25. harish tekchandani

I give him "F"

He can not read notes properly
    He can not talk properly

He has been a disgrace, I do not know how he graduated from Harvard or did he?

He is a disaster, he calls himself the DECIDER, I feel he is a DESTROYER and a BULLY

No History will how he is one of our worst President – a total failure