December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. clinton w alexander

all of you that are obama haters and don't like him, he was elected fair and square, get over it and live with it.

clinton

December 24, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  2. Fenarkleman

Gee, Pat. Way to jump on this bandwagon. I guess you were also the one who said, "Hey, you hear something?" about five days after the Pearl Harbor bombing. You're really on it, Pat. Where have you been for the past 8 years, huh?

December 24, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  3. Culture Mix

its real sad, when you see all these Obama haters out there that still cant get over the fact that he WON,. and your game is now UP, get ready for real change,.... IN YOUR FACE !

December 24, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  4. RVNVET

Ecclesiastes 9:18 says "Wisdom is better than weapons of war, but one sinner destroys much good."

This has been my favorite bible verse since this idiot of a president decided to invade Iraq. It describes Bush and Chaney to a T. Two other sayings have always enjoyed:

An arrogant dragon will have cause to repent.

A dragon stranded in shallow water amuses the frogs.

December 24, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  5. todd

Pat Robertson is desperately trying to remain relevant and in the public eye. Pat, be quiet and retire, you backed Bush for 8 years, don't try to hide it now.

December 24, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  6. That Other Jerry

Kathy in Florida, be thankful that you live in a country where you don't have to worry about being arrested, imprisoned, and hanged/stoned yourself for such irresponsible comments. You, like so many others, are safe in your stupidity.

December 24, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  7. Mark

...maybe leopards can change their spots.

I am now fully prepared for another 8 years of stupid postings against Obama...made by the same idiots who supported all things bush/cheney the last 8 years.

Merry Christmas to everyone, anyway!

December 24, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  8. USING ALL CAPS MEANS YOU ARE EITHER A NARCISSIST, INSANE OR BOTH !!!!!

(that means YOU, WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW!!!!)

December 24, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  9. Brian

Robertson needs to stop editing-out parts of Scripture that conflict with his attention-getting urges, such as "JUDGE NOT LEST YOU BE JUDGED!" Where did this showoff come from?

December 24, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  10. uncle jimbo - Chicago

So when do the War Crimes, and Treasonous act of outing a covert CIA Agent come to trial ?

Enough koombyya – Start & finish investigations, repeal "Patriot Act" and restore the integrity of our Constitution, and our civil liberties.

Prosecute the most criminal Bush / Cheney Regeme

How about it Rev. Robertson ?

December 24, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  11. Juliet

Hmm, which one does Pat Robertson want to be this time, the pot or the kettle?

December 24, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  12. Mark

welcome to the obama show,

all those things you listed happened during bush's watch, while he had a repub congress for 6 of those years; yet, he did nothing to stop it. so why are you so enamored with bush? shouldn't he have stopped that kind of sh-....thing years ago?

BTW, using all caps is like a sports car...what deficiency are you trying to hide?

December 24, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  13. Julie

Wow, what a Republican manifesto Obama_Show laid out! Just more of the same old "blame the other guy" fodder the GOP keeps dishing out. I even heard one blame the current financial crisis on former Pres. Clinton the other day. Good luck with that line, boys – looks like a good majority of Americans have seen that the emperor has no clothes.

December 24, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  14. Dekonti

RE: WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're such an ignorant person to say the least. As an immigrant, you may need to read "your" US history a little. THIS COUNTRY WAS BUILT ON THE BACKS OF IMMIGRANTS AND CONTINUES TO SUCCEED ON THE BACKS OF IMMIGRANTS.

As an immigrant from Africa, I came to to this country with nothing. However, I've worked hard, become well-educated (grdauate school level), have a beautiful family and doing very well in corporate america. For your information, no one gave me a "handout" along the way. This situation is not unique to my wife and I. There are countless number of immigrants from various countries doing this throught the US every day.

You represent "shrinking" minority American that tend to blam immigrants when something goes wrong in the US. For most Americans (especially those who have travelled abroad), they understand significant positive impact that immigarnts continue to have on this country. Even those without a decent eductaion, they continue to work hard and do their best educate their children.

I have a simple advice for you – "Continue blaming immigrants for everything and not take the time to develop yourself and your family. I can promise you that Barack Obama will not be the last immigrant's son or daughter that is elected to the highest office in the US."

In an attempt to alter an old saying...Education Rules and Blamers Lose!!!

December 24, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  15. Slider

There is nothing conservative about Pat Robertson. The only thing that is conservative concerning Pat Robertson is media outlets like CNN consistently, and mistakenly, linking him to conservatives.

It's akin to linking Che Guevara to Democrats. Same political stripe, but the methodology is all wrong.

December 24, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  16. From the Funny Farm

Thanks for sharing Pat Robertson's insight. Be sure to send me a "Breaking News" email when you hear from Britney Spears.

December 24, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  17. Darrell

Brian I'm sorry but you are so off base. It always amazes me how people revise history. I don't have the time to go point by point how absurd you truely are but I will take umbridge with one statement from your post. "Bush kept America safe". Remind me who was president when over 3000 people lost thier lives on 9/11? Which president was a sleep at the wheel when American soil was attacked? Who continued to read to school childern while decisions needed to be made? No response needed I already know the answer "George W. Bush", the worst president in my lifetime.

December 24, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  18. Larry D

A Republican giving Bush a C minus, How kind. The remaining millions give him an F. He was the biggest mistake in the last century. How he could bilk so many is really his legacy. And shame on all that voted for him twice. Evidently, voters woke from their stupor and elected Barack Obama, but still some fuzzheads wanted to keep the Republican nightmare team going. How sad.

December 24, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  19. galileo

Robertson is an evil money grubbing hate and fear monger who has no right calling himself a christian. He should shut up... Katrina and aids are gods punishment according to him......Hell will be his I have a feeling..

December 24, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  20. David

Hey People!!!

One thing i want to understand from all of you!!! why these any
    Religion People or any Religion group is getting in to politics. i thought
    they have only one connection which is GOD right??? if we humans or
    politicians do something wrong which GOD does not like it then he'll
    give us punishment. but why in the hell these people/group taking GOD's
    law in to their hand. we all know that our human society is not fair. we people are creating all problems then we'll try to fix them.

So politics is not for religion people. it is a dirty business. so you religion people please pray for everyone and keep in touch with GOD then he'll do his magic on his way and right way. please pray for
    all of us. i am sure he'll listen to you earlier then me.

December 24, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  21. joe in Sausalito

Pat Robertson disgusts me. I loathe the man and all he stands for.

As for criticizing Bush, he's just as bad, maybe worse. At least Bush doesn't preach outright hatred.

December 24, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  22. whereismyamerica

hey all you bush-haters out there have overdosed on the koolaid and it has destroyed all brain cells. it is amazing to me that 53% of the amercian people voted for the most unknown, inexperienced, radical candidate in the history of our country. and please do a little homework about the economy....it was pretty much brought down by barney and chris and their cronies with the home morgage scandal. they screwed up with fannie and freddie ...they should have been run out of washington by now. please don't be stupid and blame everything on bush. he will be vindicated ON EVERYTHING and you frothing at the mouth liberals are going to look like fools. hussein is not going to save this country....might be a "cool" guy, but is going to make things much much worse.... unless you are a koolaid drinking idiot who thinks that big government, less liberty, small military, higher taxes, socialized health care, and a global society are the way to go. god help us.............

December 24, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  23. RTD

Not exactly sure why Pat Robertson's opinion actually matters, or why it is news none the less.

December 24, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  24. peter

by faaar bush is the worst president in american history. he and many of his administration staff should be labeled as terrorists in the US. they knew about 9/11 and did nothing about it. they took the country to war, eventhough our millitary intellegence told them iraq had NO WMDs!!! US image and reputation has gone out the window. it is all a conspiracy! the bush family is actually related to the british royal familly, the same people who we fought to obtain our INDEPENDENCE!!! since they cannot wage war, they will mess up our image, way of life, and reputation!

December 24, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  25. Observer

I think one of the problems is the excessive use of all caps when typing comments.

December 24, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |