December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. IDU

Hell is freezing over!!!!!!!

December 24, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  2. chuck

This is rich hearing Pat Robertson blame someone of being unprofessional. Isn't this the guy who knows exactly what God is thinking at all times and blames natural disasters on gay Americans? Does anyone really give a rats _ _ _ what Pat Robertson is spewing on any given day? Apparently CNN is happy to stoop to the lowest common denominator.

December 24, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  3. Stephen

You liberals need to hedge your bets a little. There will be a republican in office in four years after Obama fails. You have put to much faith in one man. Only once in all of history has that turned out well...that man was Jesus. And in case you don't now (which some of you apparently may not), Obama is NOT Jesus.

December 24, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  4. Carmen

OMG hell has frozen over and the devil is ice skating. Is that really Pat criticizing Bush? Wow Bush is going to be one lonely drunk come New Years Eve.

December 24, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  5. Dayahka

Make that a D minus, just short of an F. George Werewolf Bush has sucked the blood out of the country–he's run the country into the ground morally, economically, culturally, and spiritually. The only thing he did right is to stand up against the fundamentalist global warming bigots.

December 24, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  6. Dylan from MN

For the first time in my life I can say," Yes Pat Robertson, I agree with you".

December 24, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  7. NY republican

This man (the Reverend Robertson) is one of the best arguments for the separation of religion and government. I am ashamed that he caims to be a republican. I sincerely hope that there is no room for someone like him in the "new and rebuilt" Republican Party of the Future (Palin too for that matter).

December 24, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  8. sam in fla

I think a C- is too generous for this failed Administration. 9-11, Iraq, Katrina, the Economy have all been major failures. And then we have the corruption and lies from the Vice President, as well as the culture of deception in general in Washington. History will judge Bush in the same light as Nixon and Grant. WORST PRESIDENT EVER

December 24, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  9. Kevin B

Rev Robertson can see the obvious, there in no longer time for the petty liberal/conservative drivel.

All hard working and honest Americans should realize the stakes are just to high, not to be honest with ourselves, while we fight to regain the american dream after 8 years of incompetence in DC

December 24, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  10. Bill

Robertson give Bush a C-. LOL. Bush at most is an F-.

December 24, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  11. Nate

Interesting enough, Robertson must have believed all the lies his party had perpetuated about Obama for him to be pleased with him now. Really, did he expect him to nominate extremists and radical muslims to his cabinet? I think most people are please because Obama's doing exactly what we expected of him.

December 24, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  12. Franky

"Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

I'm telling you, not only liberals are gonna have their dreams come true but Conservatives have a surprise for them. Hmmm, you know, I've always talked about the errors and judgement of the GOP that I hardly bring up any positive talk BUT what if I told you that if you think Conservatives are not gonna be pleased, then you are wrong. Little that people know but I haven't expressed my point of view to what it'll do to Conservatives. I've said about the party but not Conservatives...

Let's just say the lord works in many, many ways. I ain't gonna tell them though, they will have to figure it out the hard way...unless I'm cool that day and give out some pointers, LOL!! This only happens once a time in our nations history and I knew it from the very beginning...

December 24, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  13. Sweet Pea

The Truth shall set you free!!

December 24, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  14. Joe

Merry Christmas!!!!!

Happy Holydays!!!

I pray for Obama in the coming weeks...that he may trust in the faith that America has placed in him...I pray that he will not be overburdened by the enormous hope and expectations of the American public and the rest of the world...and I pray for this country as we will surely be tested in the beginning of his administration...

I pray that Obama is just as successful as so many people hope that he will be...

May God bless this country as we strive to choose that which is right for the good of all people everywhere...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

December 24, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  15. Jack in Florida

Finally a Republican with common sense. I salute his credibility for being able to verbalize what has truly happened with the Bush Administration, but his grade is much kinder than what history will prove. Bush gets a big fat F-– THE WORST PRESIDENT IN HISTORY!

December 24, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  16. Wayne, Greenville TX

Pretzelboy has to fact the truth – when even the Ayatollah Robertson is against you, you have NO legacy......

December 24, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  17. Paul

Who's your Messiah now, Pat?

December 24, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  18. Obamaha, Nebraska

Thanks Pat, both for the rave review of our next president and the stating of the obvious failings of Bush.

You have accomplished two things here:

1. Angered more neocons with your criticism of Bush (19% of polled Americans still love him).
    2. Reminded the progressives that you're still out there, somewhere...waiting to remain irrelevant on something topical (we won't forget the many bizarre things that you've said or preached over the years).

December 24, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  19. lakeside176

I really took notice of "Real Change's" comment. Also, "Scott NYC". It is about time Hannity and Limbaugh take note, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I am very hopeful and think PE Obama will be one of the best presidents this country has had. I pray for his success.

December 24, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  20. Deep in thought

In my opinion you can blame Bush for a lot of things, but blaming him for ignorant individual who refused to evacuate during a hurricane is not his fault. These people were given ample time to leave, yet they decided to stay. It is a shame when a President is blamed for this catastrophe when their own mayor, governor and city officials are the ones to blame. When these people re-elect a mayor who did nothing, then guess what they get what they deserve.

December 24, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  21. Frank Lee

How soon beforee thus usual suspects (Hannity, Limbaugh, ingraham et al ) dismiss Robertson as a crackpot for his latest remarks?

It doesn't get any better than this – the right wing falling apart like a dollar watch.

December 24, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  22. Seattle Sue

And this after eight years of being a cheerleader for Bush. What ever Robertson has to say has no meaning to me.

December 24, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  23. bennifer

change has come? yeah I see what people are talking about when Obama is handling hands with Blagojevich under the table
    and there is more to come I guess............

December 24, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  24. ANTI-RELIGION

ROBERTSON IS A HATEFUL, BIGOTED KOOK. ANYTHING HE SAYS IS MEANINGLESS. THIS MAN IS A THREAT TO THE WORLD.

December 24, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  25. Louis

TOO LATE PAT–It was you and your brethren that so staunchly supported Bush's candidacy when he was running for President. While many of us easily saw his incompetency, you and your flock blindly voted for him. Instead of your after-the-fact criticism of Bush, you surely owe Americans a sincere apology for putting this buffoon in office. Without an apology, you should just shut up.

December 24, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |