December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. Nathan Duty

As a Christian I find it absolutely amazing, what a reveation for Pat Robertson. For almost eight years he (Robertson) has defended Bush's blunders and shot down those that opposed Bush. He in fact continued to defend the worst president in the history of the United States until recently and now Robertson has the "revelation" that Bush has messed up "a little". His words are, in this case true (finally), however his credibility is about the same as Bush's. Just another Elmer Gantry working the crowd and using Christianity as his vehicle. Too bad he couldn't following in his fathers foot steps and be what he really wanted to be, a politician.

December 24, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  2. James Dadas

I think most of the American people share the same view as Mr. Pat Robertson. But what strikes me the most is that WHY! Mr. Robertson did not speak out a year, two or even three years ago? unless he has motives and he always go to where the wind blows for his own benefits witch I believe is the case now. Bush is out Obama is in let's get him on our side.

December 24, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  3. Tom St Paul

"Serious goofs"? Understated, but coming from this guy, we'll take it.

December 24, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  4. flyer

Who gives a rats butt what Robertson has to say. He doesn't speak for everyone.

December 24, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  5. Brian

Wow – Bush always referred to God and Religion to excuse his behavior. He used it as a hammer to invade and kill in a country that did nothing to us. Now the Religious are biting his legacy. Karma is a great thing.

When history looks back on this it will be even more critical as all the corrupt details have not come out yet. The fun is that Bush is young enough to be around to see the fall out. The sad part is it took this fool destroying the economy on a global scale for people to finally say. Hey this is a bad president.

December 24, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  6. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

it is telling when Pat Robertson is compelled to let CNN know that he is content with president-elect Obama. perhaps is a new dawn in American politics; if so... it is about time. we must look for that which unite us not that which will divide us. good for him

December 24, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  7. Fat John

This is going to confuse my Father greatly, for he is one of the hardcore
    fundamentalist right wingers that absolutely believed in President Bush.
    This is a great thing For Pat Robertson to speak up about because it is true and the truth will set you free.

December 24, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  8. Mrs Obama 2016-2024

C-. Are you kidding us? thats how he got thru college and became Prez. Throw the bum out now.
    And Pat, give yourself a pat on your back for backing him.
    Remember what goes around comes around.

December 24, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  9. Thomas L. Bakersfield, CA

Reverend Robertson is correct about Bush. Only my grading the current President gives him a solid F for *failure* to properly carry out his duties to the American people in a Presidential manner. It's amazing how he's going to receive diplomatic immunity for all of the laws that have been broken and the injustices that have been committed, while the average Joe, would be bound for vigorous prosecution and prison time. But I guess that's the American way huh? If you're President, you get to do anything you want to and get away with it, whether legal or not.

Well at least we now have something much more promising on the way to lead this country. There is a God!!

December 24, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  10. Tyler Derden

Worst president and vice president of all time. What we need is self-awareness as a nation and as individuals. I see the light at the end of the tunnel...

December 24, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  11. Bryan

Dear Mr Robertson.

First I would like to say goofs and mistakes are not the terms the American people are using.
    They would be Failure, Illegal,War Crimes, Treason, Illegal wiretaps of Americans phones.
    Of course this is just to name a few, there are hundreds more.

Bush will forever be remembered as the WORST PRESIDENT IN AMERICAN HISTORY and he will always be refered to as just that.
    Right there with his corrupt sidekick Mr Cheney and all the other cronies.

The Obama Administration are going to review everything Bush and his cronies have done. If they find illegal documentation they will turn it over to the FBI and maybe finally we can have them arrested and indicted and show the rest of the world that Americans do not condone what the Bush and cronies have done.

Good ridence to bad rubbish

December 24, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  12. MikeH

Pat Robertson is an agent of hate, racism, ignorance, and intolerance.

Obama's going to (one would hope) move the country towards the light of reason, acceptance, and rational thought.

Pat's just trying to stay relevant like someone else posted here. He is afraid he's going to be left lying face-down in the dust as the nation moves away from religious extremism.

Like a flea, or any other ectoparasite, Pat's trying to attach himself to the body politic and ride along hoping to inject his style of venom at a later time.

December 24, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  13. Alan

Can't wait to hear the religious right-wing bible-thumping reaction to THESE comments.

Myself, it makes me re-check my feeling for Obama. Naaaa. He's going to be magnificent. That's why MOST die-hard Repugs are so disgusted and still desperate to find fault.

If Obama can only carry out HALF of what he's stated he clearly wants to do, by comparison to the past eight years, we're in for a good solid 12-16-year run for the Democratic party - and possibly the Republican party changing dramatically or fading into oblivion.

Who knows? It could actually make a third party VIABLE.

'Sall good.

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone - even the idiot hanger-on die-hard Repugs. You're idiots but I still love you and wish you the best.

December 24, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  14. Michael Wolf

Dear Rev. Robertson:

It is so easy for a successful corporation preacher to access blame. Personally, I feel that you have always followed the money and not the party. Shame on you.

December 24, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  15. James Dadas

I am a true christian and believer! is Mr. Pat Robertson is a real christian or just mumbo jumbo one with one track mind?

December 24, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  16. KampBell_BrOwn SUx

Pat Robertson is Sarah's grandfather.

December 24, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  17. Alan

"Some serious goofs???" What the? People DIED in Katrina's aftermath because of his bungling. People died by the THOUSANDS in Iraq due to his bungling. And they are dying on the streets because if his current bungling of this financial crises. That's not a "goof" - that's totally indefensible. C-? Try D-!!!!

December 24, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  18. Ray Fisher

Pat, I was Republican also till Georgie and the first step to recovery is admitting we have a problem. This is not our father's Republican party!!! Our nation has suffered in many ways under this administration and will continue to suffer in the future. We can only pray that President Obama or somene can inject some integrity into our government or the future is lost!!!

December 24, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  19. Mesa Mick

Robertson is a money grubbing mega-church televangelist, what do you expect.

His "flock of sheep" for the shearing is dwindling so he'shoping to pick up so low information rednecks from the Obama camp.

This hypocrite mixes church and state – don't trust 'em anybody...

December 24, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  20. Bryan

P.S.

Obama/Biden The Future of America.

We finally got the election right.
    Of course Bush stole the last two.

December 24, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  21. Texas Teacher

*LOL* Hey, I wasn't finished with that RANT!

Crazy old fingers get carried away and tap the wrong key and there I am... on the screen before I finish.... well, surfice to say, I think I got it all in there. :)

I do hope the Fundamentalists have learned their lesson that Church and State is WISELY SEPERATE as per the wisdom of our Founding Fathers!

Just perhaps this announcement by Robertson is an acknowledgement that they are starting to GET IT! They have divided the Nation and aided the Bush Administration in Raping the Nation of its honor and its economy! This is the very closest we have come to a dictatorship in our history! And how the Religious Right can look themselves in the mirror without feeling pure shame is a mystery to me. Ahh.... man's inhumanity to man.... will we never see the end of it?

And the leaders of the Christian Right are the ones who are responsible. They have blindly lead their followers right to the cliff's edge, and they are just waiting to be led over by the right voices... such as Sarah Palin. Perhaps... just perhaps McCain/Palin campaign has made them cast the scales from their eyes, and face the reality of what they have done!

When will it end..... I don't see an end in sight. Their is way too much polarization between Religious Fanatics and the REST OF US! But perhaps.... just perhaps.... Barack Obama will be able to unite the People again. I pray it is so!

December 24, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  22. TM

I am both surprised and pleased that Robertson admits he is pleased with Obama so far and that "he has the makings of a great president." I only hope more conservatives will make the effort to view the new administration with an open mind. Our country needs to unite to address our many challenges.

December 24, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  23. Ravi in MO

Thank you Mr. Robertson!

Even though you and I are on opposites of the spectrum in our social views, and I am so happy that you are able to see what a great person Barack truly is, and that you are able to see that he is indeed reaching out. Perhaps this is the beginning of something truly wonderful- UNITY.

After all, we may be a federation of 50 culturally/politically unique and sovereign states, but we are all united as ONE people in our love for this country!

December 24, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  24. john

i must agree, this guy is a wind bag. who sits on his butt week after week after week and goes on and on about, well heck i rarely even know what he is talking about to be truthful. this man does nothing but sit and collect money from idiots who give money to him. Church???? What church??? This is no church. Its Pat up there just taking in the cash. Please don't call this scum bucket a head of a church. He is the head of a money making racket. rat

December 24, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  25. pascal

Is my first times to see a honest and truthful republican .

thruly CHANGE HAS COME .may GOD bless America and OBAMA.

December 24, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |