December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. M.H.

Pat Robertson talks out of both sides of his mouth. Before the election results were in, he was talking about Obama's link to William Ayers on his show primarily because he was constantly praising Sarah Palin. So - now he thinks Obama is great? Give me a break. I can't stand the fact that he uses his television show as a political platform anyway. It's totally disgusting to me. He is such a hypocrite.

December 24, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  2. Doug

Tom, 11:40 a.m.,,,great comments! Couldn't agree more. Robertson is a hateful divisive man.

December 24, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  3. Swampy

As an Obama supporter, I'm worried. Pat Robertson is the guy who said 9/11 happened because God was "mad at America," among many, many other ludicrous, uninformed and bigoted statements. If he's jumped to this side of the fence, how much more will we have to put up with from him?

December 24, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  4. Michael Kutosi, Houston

I am shocked that Pat Robertson said anything against Bush or Republicans for that matter. I hope he is being honest.

December 24, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  5. merryjoe

As the Bible says, Beware of the wolf in sheep's clothing.

December 24, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  6. Peggy

KC

Dose the K.C. stands for KENTUCKY CHICKEN?

December 24, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  7. Rob

I love it! God bless you Pat. Merry Christmas.

December 24, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  8. RO

Robertson is correct....Bush has to be the worst president ever...may be a nice guy but sure doesn't know how to run a country, period.

December 24, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  9. ChasE

Does anyone really cares what Mr. Robertson thinks?

December 24, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  10. Bushed

The likes of Mr. Robertson supported Bush vs. intellect. The joke is on people like him and blind believers.

December 24, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  11. Tyler Derden

How did Bush get into office? TWICE?!? He was there for the wrong reasons, just like Cheney. That is the true test to use when voting – is this person a PUBLIC SERVANT here to serve their constituency? If not, don't vote for them. Especially if they are there for money and power!! OBAMA strikes me as a public servant there for the right reasons. I pray I am right, because this great nation has a LOT of recovering to do and it will take a great leader to do it. GO OBAMA!

December 24, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  12. wesdfwtex@yahoo.com

Follow the money Robertson and the rest of you religious fanatics that's what you're good at. You need to re-evaluate your relationship with God.

December 24, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  13. Anonymous

Gee, what was Father Patty saying when these disasters were occuring?

He called Democratic criticism of the Iraqi war as treason. (700 club , Dec 7 2005)

aaaaaaaaaand he linked Katrina to abortion (Sept 2005);

We have killed over 40 million unborn babies in America. I was reading, yesterday, a book that was very interesting about what God has to say in the Old Testament about those who shed innocent blood

And he used the term that those who do this, "the land will vomit you out." That - you look at your - you look at the book of Leviticus and see what it says there. And this author of this said, "well 'vomit out' means you are not able to defend yourself." But have we found we are unable somehow to defend ourselves against some of the attacks that are coming against us, either by terrorists or now by natural disaster? Could they be connected in some way?

I guess the economy was the wake up call?

December 24, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  14. Z, St. Louis, MO.

Well thats like the kiss of death.Doesn't Pat have some blood diamonds to sell or some "donations" to give to African dicatators or abusing his "charity" jets or maybe even buying oil refinary ?
    (Please look it all up, all of those things are things he has done).

December 24, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  15. John

Obama is going to screw up a bad situation even more. He's going to do what he shouldn't do: implement higher taxes and socialist programs that don't work. After, people will come to their senses and consider the Republican Party again. Take my word on this (and I hope I'm wrong), people will start to turn on Obama after everyone sees who he really is (a complete and utter phony). Give him 1-2 years of high approval, then the fascination with this weak president will come into fruition.

Romney 2012. Bank on it.

December 24, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  16. SEP in AZ

C-minus? That's being generous.

December 24, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  17. Pog Mahon

Trying to gain some credibility now. Robertson is admitting to the obvious. I guess better late than never, but what if? What if he and others of power in the their segment of society had spoken up when it could have mattered, even just a little. Instead they "stayed the course" for political and social ideaology reasons to benefit themselves personally and finacially.

December 24, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  18. Pat

Where is this middle of the road cabinet everybody keeps talking about? Gates is nothing more than a fall guy if Obama's Iraq/Afghanistan policy goes bad. Clinton is the least experienced Sec of State in History and the Sec of Ed is in charge of a School district that less than 25% of the 8th Graders (indiviuals under his regime) read at grade level or higher. Can somebody name one quality cabinet position pick yet?

December 24, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  19. Setarip

Sad. Not really sure why this is relevant though since Robertson exited the stage years ago. That Robertson (a long-time pro-life supporter) would embrace Pres.-elect Obama and kick Pres. Bush on his way out the door reflects his integrity or lack thereof.

December 24, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  20. Carol from NC

Robertson is completely irrelevant. He's a hateful bigot who filters his hate through old superstitions. His own handling of Katrina was to blame a meterological event on homosexuals. He blamed 9/11 on gays, feminists, pagans, the ACLU. The man is incapable of a logical thought and the idea that anyone takes him seriously is very disturbing.

December 24, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  21. Dorothy M. Oliver, Greensboro, NC

Rev. Robertson, your opinion lost its relevance on the world stage through your own actions and words. You are not a serious thinker or speaker. That is unfortunate, because you are speaking for a large group of followers.

December 24, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  22. Ravi in MO

Although I find Mr. Robertson's view on religion absolutely deplorable, you guys all need to realize that the very fact that Conservative Republicans are warming up to Obama means that Washington may actually be able to get some things done over the next 4 years... on important mainstream things like the economy and health care. We may have to put fringe partisan issues like environment on the back burner, but that's perfectly fine.

I really don't understand why so many of my fellow "liberals" are behaving like intolerant bigoted right-wing conservatives, attacking Barack for reaching out to Republicans and bringing in ordinary everyday rural Whites and other conservatives into the big tent. After all, these people are a part of our republic too. Isn't that what "tolerance" and "inclusion" is all about?

Barack Obama stated time and time again, that he will be President of the United States, not president of the Blue states. Get over it.

December 24, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  23. AnnMM

History will remember Bush even more harshly than today's critics do. He destroyed the world economy, invaded a nation with no provocation, created extreme chaos in the most volatile area of the globe, set science and medicine back decades... the list is endless. History will analyze his "regime" in minutia as the shining example of exactly how NOT to be a world leader.

December 24, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  24. jr

A C- grade is the same as a D+ for Dud, Dunce, Dunderhead, Dolt. I seldom agree with Robertson about anything, but he's right on target on the grade. Shrub has been C-, D+ his entire life. An extreme underachiever. It's a shame it took the right eight years to see through his facade. Given his current approval rating there are still some on the extreme right fringe that are still wearing blinders.

December 24, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  25. colleen

I think it's funny that Pat Robertson still thinks his views are relevant.

December 24, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |