December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. Charlie in Maine

How about that?

George W Bush said he was a "uniter" not a "divider". After eight long years of the most divsive time in at least 100 years he has finally come through. United as we are in the joy of his departure.

December 24, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  2. Tyler Derden

"I think the fact that we have prevented terrorist attacks on American soil in the past 7 years speaks for itself." – DICK Cheney.

"I think the fact that you have killed 3,000+ American soldiers with the BS war you sold to us speaks a little louder." -Tyler Derden

PS, Dick: Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

December 24, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  3. debbie

It's just the rat's deserting the ship long after it sunk.

December 24, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  4. mary

I really think some of the posters here are lunatics. I just come here sometimes when I want comic relief, and it it works every time. LOL!

December 24, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  5. Rosa

You democrats would just love to rule the world with an iron fist wouldn't you? Your don't want a democracy or free country, you'd rather have government run everything. And why is this? Talk about intolerant. Most of your democrats can't stand an opinion different from your own. And mike h..sounds like to me your the racist! I have never heard the man speak against ANY other race. And let me just tel you there are other races beside black, so get over it. Not every white person you don' t agree with is racist you idiot. And I, like Obama, am bi-racial. Neither entirely white...nor entirely black...

December 24, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  6. Deep in thought

You liberals are a funny bunch. Obama has never done anything but bullsh1t you guys, there is no way he can do a tenth of what he has promised. You go ahead and keep bashing Bush, but he has kept your sorry butts safe for the last 7 years hasn't he. If you would pull your head out long enough to realize that, you are no better than the things that you call him. I do not think he has been perfect, nor has any other president especially your beloved Clinton, who was the biggest joke ever. I will never stoop to the level of you morons and bash a president like you have done. Some of you need to take a look in the mirror and maybe do a little judgment of yourselves. As a christian and republican I wish Obama all the best as I am a proud American.

December 24, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  7. BS not Maverick

My first reaction was one of those Chris Mathews laughs! HAUH kinda LAUGH

December 24, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  8. jeremy

Way too late, Rev. Way too late... The damage has been done, the chickens have come home to roost, and the US has been crippled. "Goofs?" What's next, you're going to forgive Bush? Pathetic.

December 24, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  9. THE OLD TIMER

Pat are you crazy... praising Obama for not showing his birth certificate.. the USA will find out in time what kind of jerk this guy is and all the poeple who think he is the chosen one. will have egg on their face. heaven help us after he get sworn in. this guy has a lot to hide from the public

December 24, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  10. V. Wall

I am very surprised that Robertson spoke up like this and to be in support of our next President. I am and will continue to be very wary of this oncoming President for the U.S. I agree, Bush made mistakes, but I am only taking things said about Obama, with a "grain of salt".
    Time will only tell........

December 24, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  11. jkhmat

question for everyone. Since the US believes in separation of church and state (I wholeheartedly agree by the way) why does the president take his oath of office at the inauguration using a bible? Isn't this a blatant violation of church and state?

December 24, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  12. Don

Dubya, I wish you the worst Christmas you have ever known. I hope your dog bites you, I hope your wife files for divorce, I hope your children never speak to you again, and I hope you spend the rest of your useless life in prison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 24, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  13. dblzap

Bush made Pierce look good

And Pierce was up till now the bottom of the barrel

Wait, he is related to Pierce!

Barbra Bush is Kin!!!

Go figure, 2 big loosers in the same family tree

December 24, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  14. S@ndr@, Oregon

He thought history would be kinder to "W", but I think a C- was pretty generous. I would graded him as failling, or an F for his handling of the economy, Iraq, and Katrina; for all the lies and scandals the man should've been impeached by now. God bless America and Obama.
    27 MORE DAYS!!!

December 24, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  15. TyWebb

Pat Robertson is a cutie!

December 24, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  16. Sean

A real pastor wouldn't judge and criticize another human being. Funny how Obama followers like to say keep religion out of politics then when a man of God speaks down towards another person they are all about it. Obama followers are quickly showing their hypocritical ways.

December 24, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  17. Ted:Canada

'Orphan Train' carried children to new lives CNN

Great story – someone should do a moivie "ORPHAN TRAIN"

likely will hit "number one"

December 24, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  18. Boston Irish

Brian, you really have a long post, but after reading it, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Especially about Obama. Where I disagree with you is in your final line. I do NOT want more of Jesse Helms or Newt Gingrich or Dan Quayle. I don't know how you can consider Dan Quayle a great Republican to admire. I'd never heard of him before he became Vice President, and he was so mediocre, you don't hear of him anymore. And, mediocre is putting it nicely. Other than that, great post.

December 24, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  19. Center of the middle

Not caring about Mr. Robertson veiws..even if he's right.

December 24, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  20. Maik F.

Ok...I see everyone talk about "seperation of church and state" thrown around all the time.

Do you realize that there is no mention of "seperation of church and state" ANYWHERE in the U.S. Constitution?

Heck, the phrase only came about after Thomas Jefferson mentioned the phrase in a letter he wrote to a Baptist church. And the only thing ACTUALLY IN THE US CONSTITUTION say "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

Progressives take the idea of "seperation of church and state" completely from an out-of-context reference and then claim it to be mandated in the Constitution when the case is quite the contrary. Do some research progressives!

December 24, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  21. Former Republican Army Wife

Ouch!!!!

December 24, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  22. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

Even Pat Robertson is seeing what a failure the Bush Administration has been and still is. But why didn't they (The Right wing fundamentalists) say or do anything about Bushco until now???

December 24, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  23. dr.mimi de la cruz

IT IS SAFE TO SAY THAT PRESIDENT-NOT ELECTED BUSH

HAS NOT DEALT "PROFESSIONALLY" WITH ANY OF THE

NATIONS NEEDS, WANTS OR DREAMS. BUT THEN AGAIN

THERE ARE SO MANY HOURS IN THE DAY. & WATCHING TV

TOOK QUIT A FEW. THERE WAS THE IQ DEFICIENCY AS WELL.

& LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT THE LEAST BUSH COULD NOT CARE

LEA ABOUT AMERICANS OR AMERICA. HE WAS IN IT FOR THE $$$$

THERE IS AN OLD SAYING "BE CREFULL ABOUT WHAT

YOU TOLERATE FOR YOU WILL GET MORE OF IT".

December 24, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  24. Jeffrey E. Salzberg

Those who call Bush - as incompetent as he may be - the "worst president ever" reveal themselves as being amongst those who believe that history started at the moment they became sentient.

As bad as Bush is, there have been several who were worse - Bush is not even the worst in my lifetime (Richard Nixon, remember, paid people to keep quiet about felonies they'd committed in order to keep him in office, a coup d' etat in anyone's book).

Harding was worse than Bush. So was Grant.

On another note, given that Pat Robertson thinks Bush was inadequate and yet supported him in both elections, what does that say about Robertson.

December 24, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  25. John in Ohio

Did I wake up in Bizarro world?

December 24, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |