December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. I believe half of what I see and none of what I hear

Does he really mean this, or is he just pointing in the direction the wind is blowing? These days it seems like everyone is out for something and everyone is working the angles.

December 24, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  2. don from NY

How about a grade of F++++++!

December 24, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  3. Amber

Spin THAT, Limbaugh!

December 24, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  4. Max Pargament

Not gonna lie I didnt even read this story. I am an Obama supporter and a total Bush hater, but Pat Robertson is insane (although I skimmed through it for what I'm about to say).

This is the guy who claimed homosexuality caused 9/11 and other horrible disasters. He should be totally be ignored of any comment he makes whether intelligent or not because he is simply insane.

December 24, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  5. Brenda C

Don't be bitter Pat because your own party never let you near the White House. People quit listening to you long ago. I'm a republican and I've always thought you were a few french fries short a happy meal.

December 24, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  6. S Callahan

I don't think Pres. Bush is an awful person, just made awful decisions.
    I don't think Pat Robertson is alone is seeing we are moving forward.
    What concerns me is those that don't believe in God's role as protector of his people...which surely God is doing for America.

December 24, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  7. scott in SLC

Maybe its time for a little less fundamentalist christian in our politics.
    Bush's actions have never been a representation of his "proclaimed faith" but Robertson still supported him during two elections and now only complains because it effects his pocket $$$

December 24, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  8. Jim,Atlanta

Hey Robertson.....I thought God told you that Bush was the chosen one for President in 2004.

Was God wrong or were you?

Hard to believe, but some people still follow this gasbag.

December 24, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  9. david Armendale, SF, CA

call it a Christmas Miracle!

I've been praying that God would cause Pat Robertson to relocate his sense of reality.

Now, how long before he backslides into his divisive partisan ways?

December 24, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  10. An independent

You are either a fool or very gullible if you believe that Mr. Robertson word and words are anything more than self serving. He has no creditability and you in the news services should stop trying to pretend that he does by putting up his statements or even interviewing him on television. You do not have to take my word for this. Please go back or the last eight years and listen to what the man has said.

December 24, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  11. Philadelphian trapped in Texas

Scott (11:07 AM ET), I'm not sure honesty and forthrightness will solve all of the Republicans' prioblems, but I guess that's a good place to start.

December 24, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  12. Jesus is an independent

Feel the Christmas love...

December 24, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  13. Rojai

I'm a Christian and I think Pat Roberson is wrong, doesn't he "prophesy" that on 2007 it would be a terrible terrorist attack , did it happen ?.
    That "prophesy" make him a false prophet according to the bible that he knows and I know.

December 24, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  14. Ohio Steve

Oh please. Who cares what these self anoited, self appointed "preachers" have to say? They hide behind religion soliciting donations from the ignorant and add nothing to our society except devisiveness and intolerance. I include Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and a few others in this stew.

Yes, Bush was a miserable President, yet we elected him for a second term. We, the people supported his failed policies and lack of effective leadership. We said nothing as he appointed political cronies instead of competent qualified leaders. When he proposed his personal lawyer for the Supreme Court it should have set off the alarm that this President was not qualified to lead.

President elect Obama is far more intelligent than President Bush. So there is hope. We already see that his appointments are far better and more well thought out.

Is it any wonder than even a political phony like Pat Robertson would recognize the difference?

December 24, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  15. Julia O

Hell has frozen over! Or maybe ole' Pat just received a "word of knowledge".

Wonder what all of the neocons/wingnuts will have to say now. . . What was that ?

**crickets**

December 24, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  16. Blah

blah blah... everyone here just spewing hate on each other. Society is so sad. Progressives and conservatives are both idiots.

December 24, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  17. Satyam Vallabha

Mr Robertson,

You are very genwerous in grading Bush with C Minus.

Satyam

December 24, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  18. becky

wow brian- you're scary- if that's all you see as Bush's mistakes- you really have no sight at all...the rest of the world can see it, it shoudl be obvious to you- protect us? how about nearly BREAK us? and who do you think has taken the world economy down- your wonderful Bush baby....you really need a shot of reality brother...

December 24, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  19. naqib

Texas Teacher

Nevermind Pat Robertson and the type of religious intolerance that he and his ilk preach! I just read the next article about the memorial service for Obama's Grandmother. Frist Unitarian Church is a nondenominational church that preaches religious freedom and tolerance! I hope that the Obamas will bring this church to the national front.

Yea... His preacher choice for the 20th sure inspired that kind of thinking... LOL

December 24, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  20. Riaz Amin

Bush has become a scape goat for all the right-wingers who pushed their policies onto Bush on the first place.

Bush never really was a politician. He simply was a puppet for the right wingers and signed on to whatever their cronies – Dick & Don had to say. So please stop blaming Bush. Look in the mirror Pat, and you will see, it is you and likes of you, who are failures and not him.

December 24, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  21. Beebee

Americans amaize me sometimes. What is all the hell about talking about Peoples qualifications and records, when it was always clear that President Bush has had a good record of running down companies in the past. Do they think that running a country is much different from running a company?. You mean nobody ever looked at his records before he was elected and reelected?.

December 24, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  22. Taniel

Campaign Diaries just released its first Senate rankings of the 2010 cycle, with detailed analysis of all 36 races. They find Democrats once again in a dominant position with Republicans playing defense for the third cycle in a row.

December 24, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  23. Wake Up Please

"A" from delusional Neocons

"C minus" from thinking, Republican, Evangelicals.

"F" from most everyone else.

December 24, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  24. smart

SG .... thank Obama, DOW hasn't dipped any lower. It would have easily crashed though 5000. In fact, there were several pundits predicting it to go as low as 3800. Obama at least helped stop severe bleeding by appearing in public and demonstrating leadership, while Bush and Paulson totally playing a disappearing act in time of crises.

December 24, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |