December 25th, 2008

Schneider: Obama's 'honeymoon' follows Bush's 'failed marriage'

Obama’s poll numbers have given him something to smile about lately.
Obama’s poll numbers have given him something to smile about lately.

(CNN) - How's the honeymoon going?

Very well. In fact, better than the country's previous honeymoons.

Watch: The new Obama approval numbers

When it comes to honeymoons with new Presidents, Americans have, shall we say, been around the block a few times. But this new guy is really sweeping people off their feet.

Eighty-two percent of Americans are happy with the way President-elect Obama is handling his transition. Even 61 percent of Republicans like him - and they're the in-laws in this marriage. He's not supposed to be good enough for them.

“You know, I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” conservative leader Pat Robertson told CNN this week. “I had grave misgivings about him – but so help me, he’s come in forcefully, intelligently.”

Previous honeymoons –- like fellow Democrat Bill Clinton’s - have been good. But not this good.

The public is particularly impressed by Obama's cabinet appointments: 80 percent approve of Obama's so-called “team of rivals.” Obama's scoring more than 20 points better on his cabinet picks than President Bush did in 2001.

A “team of rivals'” is well and good, but will Obama be a strong leader? He insists he will -– telling Americans the “vision for change comes…first and foremost” from himself. But do people think Obama will be tough enough? Apparently, they do.

Nearly half the public expresses “a lot of confidence” that Obama will provide real leadership. That's more confidence than people felt in President-elect Bush or Clinton. Obama even scores higher on leadership than President-elect Reagan did when he took office. That's saying something.

It's a bad time, and the country just went through a failed marriage with the current President. Obama represents hope. Isn't that what honeymoons are supposed to be about?

1. Kathleen

' God Bless You Mr. Obama '
    Keep On, Keeping On!

December 25, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  2. Enlightened Voter

Add me, my family and all of my friends to that percentage. Obama has been more open, transparent, attentive and made brilliant choices more than any other president so far. I believe this country will be great again with him at the helm.

December 25, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  3. The Real GOP

Once again CNN will not print what I say, but here goes. The genuine hope for change that people see in Obama is a direct correlation to the lack of change that people are willing to bring about for themselves. We have turned into a welfare society, expecting the government to be the agent of change for us. Americans are quickly losing the spirt of individuality and ruggedness that made this country great. Our forefathers granted us the right to "life, liberty, and the PURSUIT of happiness." It is incumbent upon the individual to exercise change in their own life. I grew up poor and my parents could not afford college, also I didn't have high enough grades to get a scholarhsip. I joined the Army, learned some valuable skills, served my country in a foreign theatre, and the Army paid for much of my college. You see, I sought change for myself. I didn't wait for some outside entity to seek change for me. No doubt Obama is a good guy, but he is a big government guy as well. The honeymoon for Obama is to be expected. We ought to give the president-elect the benefit of the doubt. He is a very affable man and he seems to be making a legitimate effort in doing the right thing. I just have a profound difference about the role of government. Government's job is to protect individual liberties and freedoms. In a nutshell that is it. Our expansive federal government has done more to bring harm to the people of America than anything else. And it is only going to get bigger. Regardless, I hope the best for Obama and will pray that God gives him wisdom and leadership as he takes the helm January 20th.

December 25, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  4. William A. Schaedler from St. Louis

You will get nothing but trouble from this fool. Anyone who voted for him is in for a very rude awakening. You can begin with his gaudy inauguration. It's showtime! But I for one refuse to watch the show.

December 25, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  5. World leaders will not respect a tabloid president!!

Why is the President Elect getting news coverage like a Hollywood celebrity????

I think it shows a lot of why he won........popularity is a scary thought for picking our next president!!!

Yeah.....a man of the people.......but FOR the people is much more important.

Please........no more pictures of our Commander in Chief in a swimming suit. World leaders will not respect a tabloid celebrity!!!

December 25, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  6. End Of An Error

Bush and the USA didn't have a failed marriage. It was out and out rape.

December 25, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  7. David Goldman

Willy Brown,

SORRY WILLIE BOY BUT THE PIG IS YOURS & YOU

& THE REPUBLICANS SPENT 8 YEARS REFRESHING

HIS LIPSTICK & IT DIDN'T TAKE !!!

WE HAVE ELECTED AN INTELLIGENT, CONFIDENT, HUMBLE,

HONEST & A MAN THAT LOVES HIS PEOPLE & COUNTRY, UNLIKE

THE THING THAT HAS DONE EVERYTHING ON GODS GREEN

EARTH TO DESTROY US & THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT. & I HAVE

A GOOD ONE FOR YOU. PRESIDENT OBAMA LOVES YOU TOO.

December 25, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  8. red

i am very proud....... god bless america... we are here to work with obama.......all the way.. i so proud that im here to see this..inaug here i come!!!!!

December 25, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  9. Michael Rodgers

I am so tired of hearing whining from gun owners. They wrap themselves in the Second Amendment and won't be happy until they are allowed to own army tanks and take them anywhere, any time. -

December 25, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  10. Mike

Unreal, the press has absolutely no resolve to ask even the most basic questions of Obama. His administration will be marked by tremendous failure that will make Americans long for Republicans to take over again. Can't wait for 2012.

December 25, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  11. America loses, Barack wins

As Barack's policies take effect, the honeymoon will become a nightmare for all of our pocketbooks and the Capital system that has worked since it began. To give up on it because of one bad year is plain wrong. Show me on stimulus package that has every solved the economic downturn and made things better. Yea, you create 2.5 new jobs artificially but to pay for them you kill 4 or 5 million when you regulate, tax and harm businesses that are trying to make it on main street to pay for your 2.5 million jobs.

As I said America loses, Barack wins for now.

December 25, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  12. giles clarke

Willy Brown above needs to appear on 'queer guy' show-seems lipstick is the would keep his neck red too if he uses it right!
    Well done USA for getting it right at last!

December 25, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  13. Bubba

Obama iS a good spirited guy I hope he keeps his promises though

December 25, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  14. I love Obama

Obama epitomizes what a real man and a real leader is supposed to be. He's got the internal strength, honesty, respect, sensitivity, vision, confidence, INTELLIGENCE, and an inclusive nature that makes all of us feel like we matter. After 8 years of these bozos telling us that what we say, feel, or think doesn't matter to them (wait a minute...didn't they work for US????) – this is more than a breath of fresh air. It's a new life for this country.

Willy – Obama doesn't need any lipstick...too bad you couldn't say the same about Palin (in more ways than one)....

Herb – it's time to face reality. The vast majority of us love Obama, support him 100%, and cannot WAIT until the losers you helped put in office are GONE!!!!! You and your village idiot President and VP have left Obama a ginormous mess – so you have NO room to call yourselves trying to bash Obama. He's the man that has been called upon by the people to clean up your mess. You should be grateful.

December 25, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  15. LaTeef Bob Alade, GA

President GW.Bush is the most incompetent US prez ever, he came to power through his royal name and election fraud. American public has learned a lesson and they refused to put another Mcain/Palin in the white house which will be the third term of Bush. The winner now is the American people for electing prez elect Barack Hussein Obama , as a matter of fact , the whole world has won, because Obama is getting ready to positively change the world.

December 25, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  16. get real dude

OMG!!! Michael Rodgers, you are so funny! I enjoyed reading your comment. Really made me LOL!!!! Thanks! Merry Christmas.

December 25, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  17. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

It's interesting how Americans react to an educated man, capable of putting a sentence together and answering questions off-the-cuff versus a drunken, coke-headed lout, who, if he can't read it, can't say it!!!

December 25, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  18. michael williams

I love the fact that we Americans have a breath of fresh air in the White House. Not wealthy first and all the rest last. I can't wait to vote in 2012
    aginst the Sarah Palin Joe The Plumber ticket!!

December 25, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  19. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Personal to "world leaders" and you comment about popularity:

During 2004 people were asked who you'd rather have a beer with and Bush carried that strong. Says a lot about the way they use what little sense God gave them and how they cultivate the rest on their own, doesn't it?! WELL?!?!?!?!

December 25, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  20. H From Seattle

I voted for the President-Elect and am pleased with his selections for his cabinet.

While I appreciate his desire to "go across the aisle", I do have a problem with his selection of Rick Warren to speak at the inaugural. I don't have a problem with him meeting with Mr. Warren to discuss issues but to allow a man whose ideas are very hateful to speak at such a historic event is very disappointing to me.

December 25, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  21. keekers

He's so competent that he enrages the ignorant racists like Erik. Bet you liked Palin huh Erik? You and the rest of the uneducated white males (her biggest supporters). Yea, she doesn't threaten you cause she'll go kill stuff with you, cook it and never talk over your head (couldn't if she wanted to). You and Rush...many bad years ahead for you...

December 25, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  22. Joe Fattal

I don't mind mix marriages. But this one was done the old fashion way. It was impose on some of us. Maybe one day my love will grow toward him. Right now I am still in shock.

December 25, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |