December 26th, 2008

Obama, Clinton top the list of most-admired people in the world

President-elect Obama and Secretary of State designate Hillary Clinton topped a new poll of most admired people.

(CNN) -- For the first time in over a half century, a president-elect has topped Gallup’s poll of the nation’s most admired man.

Thirty-two percent of Americans surveyed in the new USA Today/Gallup poll said Barack Obama was the man they most admired — a better showing than either former Presidents George H.W. Bush or Bill Clinton ever achieved.

The last president-elect to top the list was Dwight Eisenhower, in 1952.

President Bush, who was named the most-admired man by 39 percent of those polled shortly after September 11, falls to a distant second, at 5 percent — the first time since his election that he has not topped the poll.

The nation’s most-admired woman for the seventh-straight year is Obama’s secretary of state-designate, Hillary Clinton, named by one in five Americans. Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, a newcomer to the list, is second with 11 percent.

Rounding out the list of most-admired women living today are Oprah Winfrey in the third-place spot, current Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in fourth place, and future first lady Michelle Obama, in fifth place with 3 percent.

The survey was conducted December 12-14, and is based on interviews with 1,008 Americans. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percent.

1. Albo58

Of course the Dimwits admire the "leadership" of their party, but 4 years from now, they'll stack these knotheads on the Jimmy Carter woodpile! Our country will have never been so weakened!

December 26, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  2. Ana

JAY-nice rant, but the article clearly states that Americans were surveyed. Kind of puts a hole in your theory, huh?

December 26, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  3. Ridgeway

1008 Americans? Why so many? Who took the survey, ACORN? Now that's a cross section of America.

December 26, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  4. tom

Linda in MS, WOW do you mean the book that he dedicated to the "honorable" rev wright? The racist hater he threw his grandmother under the bus for? Showing off your intelligence today?

December 26, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  5. J.C.

This seems like a bad joke.

December 26, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  6. rich

Sarah Palin and George Bush second? LOL. CNN..its the day after Christmas and not April's fools day.

December 26, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  7. DeLiRon

top the list of most-admired people in the worldtop the list of most-admired people in the world

December 26, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  8. pam

bk
    Yes Palin did say she could see Russia from her house. Not even SNL could make that up. I watched her say it. She has sounded and looked like an idiot in every interview she has done. My personal favorite was the recent 'turkey" interview. That one was priceless!
    No one is trying to make Palin look dumb. She does that all by herself.

December 26, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  9. tom

Well Ana if you are so smart, given that Obama Hussein was elected with ~54% of the popluar vote...what happened to the other 15%. Lost them already? He's not even in office yet....we WILL be reminded why there has only been 2 democratic administrations since the 60's.

December 26, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  10. Joe Fattal

With her looks and brain and his............I can't find nothing good about him yet. They make the perfect couple anyhow.

December 26, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  11. Franky

My boy didn't really inspire me, I respected him. If there was anything that I got inspired is that I saved my country! But other than that, nothing spectacular. I just got inspired to find out the truth about my country, that's all. Plus, I don't do all that work for nothing...and I didn't even get paid for it. Dems sure are lucky I hooked them up...plus, it is ironic. I never thought I would try to help out a Dem...

December 26, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  12. Change

You Betcha!

The numbers will only improve, 2010.

December 26, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  13. Michael

bk,

No, it's not the SNL skit, it's the ABC interview. You know, the one where she talked clearly about how her air guard monitors the situation when Putin flies into Alaska's airspace...

Michael

December 26, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  14. AB

LOL

Bush admired? Who are these aliens?

December 26, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  15. Dan, TX

I used to bother to read these comments. But to have to wade through 50 or 60 moronic comments to find one of intelligence just isn't worth it. If CNN doesn't get a moderator to screen out the crap, I'm just going to stop visiting this wasteland.

December 26, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  16. randy

why not the deserve it

December 26, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  17. Rick

of course, two crooks are the same as peas in a pod

December 26, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  18. Aaron from Ohio

Obama being number one doesn't surprise me. Palin being number 2 (there's a joke in there somewhere) doesn't surprise me either. I work with some very conservative guys and they LOVE Sarah Palin. She hunts, she goes fishing and she is pleasant to look at. They also tell me that Sarah isn't as dumb as people make her out to be. Well, most people think she's an idiot so I guess they might be right. She did finish a four year degree in only 7 years at five different colleges. She came out of nowhere and was the VP selection for the republican ticket. I'm still laughing over that one. I firmly support Sarah for the republican nomination in 2012. I'm also hoping Joe the Plumber is the VP nod that year. If they run and do win the election...I can only pray that the Mayans are right and that the world does end on December 21st, 2012. Having Sarah as our president would just be too humiliating.

December 26, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  19. Liberals love the race card

Palin is not even the main topic of this article and yet that won't stop the liberal from foaming at the mouth to say something hateful about her. Big Shock

December 26, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  20. Amy in Minneapolis

Greg December 26th, 2008 3:26 pm ET

Can any of you 40% please tell me what Barry has done to earn your admiration?
    -------------------------------–

He didn't take the low road to the highest office in the land for one like he promised.

December 26, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  21. Wayne D. PA

My pick is #1Obama #2 Joe Biden #3 Michelle Obama #4 Jill Biden #5 Wayne D.

December 27, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |