December 26th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy dismisses comparison to J-Lo

(CNN) - In a Friday interview, Caroline Kennedy downplayed a comparison Rep. Gary Ackerman made last weekend between the prospective senator and another famous New Yorker, Jennifer Lopez.

“I admire the journey that J-Lo has traveled,” Kennedy told NY1. “I’ve been to a school in the Bronx pretty near the house that she grew up in, and so I actually have a lot of admiration for her, and she looks pretty good, but in terms of public policy and how we’ve spent our adult lives, I don’t think there’s really that much that we have in common.”

Kennedy pointed to her ties to President-elect Barack Obama as one of the strengths she would bring to the job. “And I think that I have relationships in Washington that I would like to put to work to benefit the people of New York,” she said. “You know I ran, helped run the vice presidential search process for Barack Obama. I have a good working relationship with him, and I know… people in Washington, and I want to be able to be part of the team that uses all my relationships.”

She said her mother “loved campaigning,” and would have been very proud of her decision to run for office.

“And so, I know people have a lot of opinions about our family, people in our family - good opinions, bad opinions - that’s something that I’ve grown up with,” she said. “But I can tell you that in our family, in my family in particular I think, there was a sense that we have to work twice as hard, because people have this perception…we are fortunate. But I think that’s a question of ‘what do you do with that opportunity?’”

As Kennedy steps up her public campaign, some officials, like New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, have expressed impatience with the pace of the process. But Gov. David Paterson said this week that some of his critics could be creating an atmosphere that was delaying a resolution - and that he would not be rushed into a decision.

Filed under: Caroline Kennedy • David Paterson
  1. Remy

What did Hilary have before she become the senater of New York? Former President's legal wife?

December 26, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  2. Lyndon from CA

Just Gary Ackerman plying his trade as POLITICIAN. At least he didn't equate her to Britney Spears or Paris Hilton, as some in political circles have been known to do to their rivals. See one John McCain. To mention the last two individuals would be downright plagaristic.

December 26, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  3. valdo

I bet J.Lo voted. I bet J. Lo knows the will of the people and the real challenges people face. I'm sure J. Lo knows what it feels like to be hungry, to work hard for a living, to impress enough people to make them want to listen to her. You know...you're right THERE IS NO COMPARISON.....

J.LO
    SENATOR FOR NEW YORK!!!!!

December 26, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  4. Ann

"Kennedy pointed to her ties to President-elect Barack Obama as one of the strengths she would bring to the job. "

I am starting to be curious.. what 'ties' does she have with Mr. Obama? does Michelle O. know about those 'ties"?

December 26, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  5. DG

There is absolutely no comparison between Caroline Kennedy and Jennifer Lopez. I can't believe anyone would think of something so stupid. Alot of people who get elected to the Senate and Congress have no experience. Caroline Kennedy will do just fine and will make a great Senator!!!

December 26, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  6. yellow dog democrat

There is no "dynasty" in this country – only people that are sucking sour grapes....she is no J-lo – She (Caroline) is a woman of integrity and grit – She is smarter than Palin – and as far as looks go – what does that have to do with anything you witless freaks!

I bet your mirror cracks everytime you look into it – not because you don't look good – but because you are mean!

Why don't you join Palin in the Calendar Girl Project and admire yourselves everyday - thats' productive!!

December 26, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  7. Ms. Johnson, Pearland,Texas

What is it with Dems and women? This is a woman who has nothing to gain by being a public servant, it would be a sacrifice for the good of the people of New York. Oh let's talk about the sacrifice of a father before age ten, the death of an uncle. The tragic death of a brother in the prime of his life. Through all of this she has endured without losing her mind. Degrees from Columbia and Havard. She is a wife and mother of three. She volunteered to raise money for public schools focusing on the arts and music. The governor won his job by default he should keep that in mind. The desire, willingness to learn and the ability to learn are all qualities Caroline has displayed. It is ok for those who do not want her to speakout but to personally attack her is just wrong. Fight on Caroline, these are same kind things that were said about Barack. America wants positive change.

December 26, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  8. Willy Brown

she would'nt make a pimple on JLo butt

December 26, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  9. Change

Caroline is a democrat, experience is not a qualification. Is this another pay to play?

December 26, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  10. phil s.

noone is like j-lo. j-lo is her own sub-category of subhuman species.

December 27, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |