December 26th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy dismisses comparison to J-Lo

(CNN) - In a Friday interview, Caroline Kennedy downplayed a comparison Rep. Gary Ackerman made last weekend between the prospective senator and another famous New Yorker, Jennifer Lopez.

“I admire the journey that J-Lo has traveled,” Kennedy told NY1. “I’ve been to a school in the Bronx pretty near the house that she grew up in, and so I actually have a lot of admiration for her, and she looks pretty good, but in terms of public policy and how we’ve spent our adult lives, I don’t think there’s really that much that we have in common.”

Kennedy pointed to her ties to President-elect Barack Obama as one of the strengths she would bring to the job. “And I think that I have relationships in Washington that I would like to put to work to benefit the people of New York,” she said. “You know I ran, helped run the vice presidential search process for Barack Obama. I have a good working relationship with him, and I know… people in Washington, and I want to be able to be part of the team that uses all my relationships.”

She said her mother “loved campaigning,” and would have been very proud of her decision to run for office.

“And so, I know people have a lot of opinions about our family, people in our family - good opinions, bad opinions - that’s something that I’ve grown up with,” she said. “But I can tell you that in our family, in my family in particular I think, there was a sense that we have to work twice as hard, because people have this perception…we are fortunate. But I think that’s a question of ‘what do you do with that opportunity?’”

As Kennedy steps up her public campaign, some officials, like New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, have expressed impatience with the pace of the process. But Gov. David Paterson said this week that some of his critics could be creating an atmosphere that was delaying a resolution - and that he would not be rushed into a decision.

Filed under: Caroline Kennedy • David Paterson
  1. happy new year

there is no comparison in these two women, caroline will be great at this senate job.

December 26, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  2. CONCERNED DEMOCRAT

December 26, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  3. S Callahan

You tell 'em Caroline! I'm a NYer who wants you to represent me!

December 26, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  4. Rick

Caroline is no JLO, JLO has the looks and all Caroline only gas a name

December 26, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  5. proudliberal-independent

she would be great. she would do the job as strictly a 'servant'. she has no other reason to serve except that she cares and wants to help change.

December 26, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  6. dr.mimi de la cuz

MS.KENNEDY ASKED THE QUESTION HERSELF,

"WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THAT OPPORTUNITY".

ANSWER IS, SHE HAS DONE NOTHING WITH IT .

SHE HAS NOT BOTHERED TO VOTE, TO VOTE !!!

IT IS IN VOGUE TO JUMP ON THE OBAMA BAND WAGON.

I SAY TO GOV PATERSON CHOOSE SOMEONE THAT AT LEAST

HAS VOTED. VOTING SHOULD BE A MINIMUM REQUIREMENT.

December 26, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  7. SOMEONE PLEASE THROW ANOTHER PAIR OF SHOES @ GW!!!

Rep. Gary Ackerman should equally be compared to Sarah Pain-lin, in terms of low-level intelligent quotient and seriously, no pun intended here!

The audicity of the right-wing nuts to smear any woman of substance as being an "entertainer' is mind-boggling....Ms. kenndy is way more qualified than Hillary & Cuomo combined; and where is the outrage of sexism against the media and the republicans who are calling ms. kennedy out of her name?!!!!

what is good for the goose is good for the gander!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 26, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  8. Kenneth M. of Flushing Queens

Caroline has the name and network to do a good job for NY. Even a Blind Man can SEE that. Butt she does not have the junk in her trunk that JaLo has.

December 26, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  9. David Goldman

I MOST CERTAINLY DISMISS THE COMPARISON AS WELL !!!

SHE IS NO J-LO !!!

L-LO HAS WORKED HER TAIL OFF TO GET TO WHERE SHE IS,

WHILE MS.KENNEDY HAS WAITED TO JUMP ON SOMEONE ELSE'S

BAND WAGON. SHE CAN'T EVEN GET OUT TO VOTE.

December 26, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  10. A NEW, NEW YORKER

OH FOR SURE MS.KENNEDY IS RIGHT. SHE IS NO J-LO !!!!

IT IS J-LO WHO SHOULD BE OFFENDED BY THE COMPARISON.

MS.KENNEDY CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO VOTE BUT SHE WANTS

TO BE A SENATOR. THAT'S LIKE J-LO ASKING US TO BUY HER

CD BUT NOT BOTHERING TO SING ON IT.

December 26, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  11. surprise

Is anybody serious about another this flunky?

December 26, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  12. for obama nj-dp

i hope everyone reads this, i just sent email to president elect, for him to ignore the rnc cd supposedly sent in error, and advise him to stay focus and ignore this foolishness from foolish men. american has too many large problems, and i told him to stay focused and that the american people love him and we are standing behind him and for him not to even comment on such foolishness...so now you did not win

December 26, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  13. for obama nj-dp

regarding the rnc cd again, we are standing behind president elect obama, regarding uniting america not dividing........ we will not let these small thinking people win, america will stand together in love, our task is too large to be divided.....

December 26, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  14. Jasmine in Germany

Caroline Kennedy would be the greatest Senator that New York State ever had.

December 26, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  15. Get A LIFE!!!

TO–CONCERNED DEMOCRAT December 26th, 2008 6:54 pm ET
    Caroline just keeps giving us more and more reasons why she SHOULD NOT be Senator.I hope Gov. Patterson doesn't cave into the Kennedy bullying and makes the right choice for the people of New York............Get a Life......Do not use (US) speak for yourself ...I think she will be great !!!!!

December 26, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  16. Eileen Patterson

Ms Schlossberg is very nice, but "very nice" doesn't cut it in today's political world.

December 26, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  17. Godluvr

My word for today is 'FOOL!' Anyone who would stoop to compare Caroline Kennedy with J-Lo is just that! No disrespect to Lopez, but it's like sardines and caviar in relation to their lives. Anyone who can't see the difference is also DUMB!

December 26, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  18. Renee

Caroline Kennedy is right – she's no J-Lo. She looks every bit of 65. Those Kennedy genes are just not kind.

December 26, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  19. valdo

Where can I go to get tickets to the coronation of HRH Princess Caroline Kennedy? It should be as star studded as the ascension of our Lord and Messiah, Obama.

December 26, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  20. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

JLO SUCKS

December 26, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  21. Agr8thign

Caroline Kennedy meets the qualifications for the position as dictated the constitution – she is a citizen of the United States and a registered voter. Yes I would agree that some experience in today's politics is needed, but let's face it, she is a lawyer, business woman, writer, author, has good communications and leadership skills and the ability to bring people together and off course RAISE MONEY. For those who seem to forget – Michael Bloomberg became mayor of the nation's largest city with no experience in politics, George Bush became president with no foreign or domestic policy experience and so did Ronald Reagan. So let up on Caroline. Her experience and willingness to serve without recognition is sufficient for me. Go for it! fvr

December 26, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  22. Mike

I'm not sure I understand the context of the comparison. J-Lo has had a remarkable career in entertainment and Caroline has, well, I'm not sure what she has done.

Caroline is right, one person has worked very hard to leave that difficult environment and the other has simply "been to a school in the Bronx pretty near the house that she grew up in." People that start out as elitists just don't have any comprehension of the difficulties that so many Americans face.

December 26, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  23. Dan, FL

Caroline is a joke. I think Hillary should have a chance to propose somebody. Caroline has no experience. Perhaps Barack can give her a job in the white house.

December 26, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  24. Ken

I don't see what the big deal is. We have a clueless liberal with no experience in the White House, why not another Senate seat???/

December 26, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  25. Alex

Oh wow, she has ties to Barack Obama... I'm impressed! Has she known him for 8 months or 9?

Just say "No!" to American royalty!

December 26, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |