December 26th, 2008

Nation's Second Dog is now 'Champ'

ALT TEXT

Vice president-elect Joe Biden’s grandchildren told him Christmas that they had decided to name his new German shepherd puppy “Champ,” a nickname the VP-elect’s father used for him as a child. Biden’s wife Jill will also be adopting a dog for the vice presidential residence - but her selection will come from the pound. (Photo credit: Tom Kelly IV/Daily Local News)

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. DISGUSTED!!!!

OMG!! Are you all adults, or children on here?!?! I'm a 24 year old, happily married (for 6 years), mother of 2, who feeds homeless cats, and guess what?!?!? I think it's great that they're getting a puppy- who cares if they "could" adopt from a shelter, really? If that's your reasoning for thinking that Biden is going to be a crappy VP, then God help us all that you can vote!!! Get a life! GROW UP! And focus on things that are really important! Hopefully, if you are all adults (as I suspect), then hopefully my generation is smarter than you! ARGH!

December 26, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  2. Brandon

Some of you people on your high horses. You can barely figure out what to do in your own life and here you are trying to tell other people how to live theirs. If anything, THAT is a big part of what's wrong with this country.

This country truly is in a sad state when people can't just be happy that someone has added a pet to their home. Be it from a pound or reputable breeder, an old hound or a young pup. Some of you are just sad, sad little people.

December 26, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  3. Art from Indy

Hey Tru in FL: Whatcha mean? You have loosely attached thoughts and I don't even want to know how fertile you aren't. I really like Palin because she is not only attractive, but because she is more qualified and capable that you, Obama, or Hillary was when she was elected. I salute the fact she has solid family values and she would bring experience to the national ticket that Obama 08 and Hillary 2000 could not. Forgive me, but I don't want to sleep with you, Hillary nor Gov. Palin. I can make rational decisions re my candidates without wanting to have sex with them. You insult the intelligence of American men. please go away.

December 26, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  4. Joe

Why is this news?

December 26, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  5. Suzi

Good for them for adopting and loving animals - so what if it's a pure bred. A person doesn't give up the right to enjoy life or make choices just because they are in political office.

It's bad enough if we feel like we have to please our family or our boss – I can't imagine how unpleasant life would be to try to please the 305 million people in the United States. Can't be done.

I appreciate Joe Biden and wish him well in every area of his life.

December 26, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  6. yellow dog democrat

THis is not really "news" but at least its fun to read about. As for the "usual complainers & whiners (not the dogs)" go bury your bones – cause you are boring to listen to – go howl at the moon 'cause we are tired of your constant yelping.....whining....and your constant peeing on everything because you think its all for you!!

December 26, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  7. Kevin in WA

I knew there was a reason why Biden was my choice all along for Obama's VP...

I had a German shepherd named "Champ" growing up =)

December 26, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  8. E in Korea

Why does that dog look so dirty? And what about the environment he's in? And what about the adult dog in the background? This doesn't appear to be a healthy situation.

December 26, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  9. mary haze

why is this news? because a german shepherd is the best breed in the world. yes, i would rather that Mr. Biden rescued a gsd, but that is one dog that will never know starvation, hanging & abuse. most people posting should really think about how much they've done for animals before judging. i run a gsd rescue. specifically for shepherds with a bite history. anyone else????

December 26, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |