December 26th, 2008

Nation's Second Dog is now 'Champ'

ALT TEXT

Vice president-elect Joe Biden’s grandchildren told him Christmas that they had decided to name his new German shepherd puppy “Champ,” a nickname the VP-elect’s father used for him as a child. Biden’s wife Jill will also be adopting a dog for the vice presidential residence - but her selection will come from the pound. (Photo credit: Tom Kelly IV/Daily Local News)

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. A race to the bottom

I hope hes eating a Republican leg.

December 26, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  2. AnaB

Ok, while this is not really what I consider "news", how cute is that little face?

December 26, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  3. Cheryl from MN

Good Name for his Dog

December 26, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  4. Tom in CA

Jill,

Get a rescue dog - there are a lot of greyhounds that need homes! However, a Heinz 57 from the pound would be good, too!

December 26, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  5. American

Oh brother... surely the VP has better things to concern himself with and SURELY the media has news IT should be reporting.

December 26, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  6. tom

Tom in Ca, I guess you don't get it...liberals believe in "do as I say not as I do". As in Al "Carbon Credits" Gore.

Obama Hussein doesn't need a lap dog...he has the national media.

December 26, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  7. williefloyd

Champ is a perfect name since his master to be is a real "champion" himself. I think they're hoping to find a golden retriever.

December 26, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  8. jm for sc

Why is there so much interest in what kind of dog goes in the whitehouse this time?

December 26, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  9. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

eh, he looks like he needs a bath.

December 26, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  10. Nancy

Kudos to Jill Biden if she selects a shelter dog. Wish VP Elect Biden had found a very deserving Shepherd at a rescue facility instead of going to a breeder for his new pup! Buying from breeders simply encourages more animals to be bred and born imo. And as most of us probably know by now, shelters and pounds alike across the country are filled with 'companion animals' in desperate need of good homes!

December 26, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  11. JM

What a cute puppy. A race to the botton, you are just plain mean!!!

December 26, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  12. Milhouse van Houten

Lets just hope"champs"favourite bone isn't in the Vice -Presidents arm.

December 26, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  13. earle,florida

I hope he spends alot of time in "Champs" house. They both can bark at the moon together! No harm done there,...

December 26, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  14. Perusing-Through

Somebody better send Champ to the gym because he is looking more like Wimpy. Will somebody please put that dog on the tread mill and feed him a high protein diet. Champ has a legacy to carry, and right now Champ does not look as though he is up for the task.

December 26, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  15. Donner Anitoch, Ca

The Washington dog show.

I hope the dogs are being adopted out of love and not a photo opt. The Obamas, after all have never had a dog but are now seeking one for the white house.

I wonder what happens to these animals when its no longer in fashion to be seen getting off a plane with them?

December 26, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  16. Pat

Good thing VP Biden didn't get an Alaskan Malamute and call it Sarah.

December 26, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  17. Art from Indy

Second dog? You mean Vice President Cheney is getting a new pooch? Biden is not VP yet, but I hear he is busy trying to plagiarize his first speech as VP.

December 26, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  18. IKE in Atlanta

Should have named the dog 'bush'. : good name fo a dog.

December 26, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  19. sandee in Portland

Cute dog. Hopefully he's chewing on Chip Saltsman's leg.

December 26, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  20. Carol

I don't know why anybody cares about these dogs. All I care about is how well he and this new President does their jobs and that is a fact.

To much time is being taken up about these animals and that is a fact.

December 26, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  21. Kay MA

Kudos to Jill for adopting a pound dog that needs a home =) I wonder what she'll name it?

December 26, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  22. undecided

it should be named chump.

December 26, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  23. Bertha Lopez

How precious! Now maybe this will have take care of their animals by having them fixed and increase the adoption at animal shelters.

December 26, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  24. LB

I believe this dog is from the rescue center. Lucky for them, they found a shepherd. I've been on the hunt for a shepherd puppy in shelters for a while. I hope they give him lots of attention.

December 26, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  25. dog lover

I was raised with a german shephard as our family pet and now I own one myself and they are great. Perfect choice and great name

December 26, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |