December 26th, 2008

Nation's Second Dog is now 'Champ'

ALT TEXT

Vice president-elect Joe Biden’s grandchildren told him Christmas that they had decided to name his new German shepherd puppy “Champ,” a nickname the VP-elect’s father used for him as a child. Biden’s wife Jill will also be adopting a dog for the vice presidential residence - but her selection will come from the pound. (Photo credit: Tom Kelly IV/Daily Local News)

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. Independent

My, my look at the size of those paws......going to be BIG dog!!!!!!!!!!!

December 26, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  2. Joanne from PA

I second the vote for the greyhound. Got two myself, and they're great dogs! Very deserving of forever homes.

December 26, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  3. sunshine

we do love our pets, champ is a good name.

December 26, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  4. dollorbil

Champ is a good name. I have raised german shepherds for 40 years and as far as I am concerned a more loyal and family devoted dog cannot be found.

December 26, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  5. BB

I'd hate to have you people pick my dog for me. But I'd like to pick which dog YOU get. Sound idiotic? That's how you people sound trying to give advice on a BLOG.

December 26, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  6. Rory O Shea

I'm glad that Jill will be getting one from a shelter! They need love the most!

December 26, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  7. RESCUER

Over 4 million homeless dogs are put to death every year. Not because they were "bad" or sick but only because they ran out of time at shelters.

December 26, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  8. kerry

I second the greyhound adoption, I have too, awesome dogs that need homes.

December 26, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  9. GuyInVA

Dear "A race to the bottom",

You win that race. You're there.

December 26, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  10. Gallimimus

If I've learned anything in life. Those folks that are pet owners tend to be more trustworthy and dependable. Obama and Biden are both getting dogs for the whitehouse. Makes me feel optimistic. Better yet it sounds like they might be getting dogs from the pound. Thats even better news.

December 26, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  11. Independent Thinker

I can't figure out who is shadier, Obama or Biden. They are both very shady but usually in a shady pair of schemers one is shadier than the other. My guess would have to be Obama.

December 26, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  12. Dan, FL

This is a joke. Just to find a name for the dog takes so long. I wonder how they will manage our country. This is what it is. Wrong people in a wrong place.

December 26, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  13. Ms. Smith

Nice xmas story! Cute puppy too.

December 26, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  14. Wendy

I am very disappointed that the vice president-elect chose to support puppy mills instead of rescuing a homeless animal.

December 26, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  15. Jillian Walsh

Puppies are in great demand and are much more adoptable than older dogs. I'd like to see the President an VPresident adopt senior dogs and set examples to the public about the benefits of adopting an older dog. These will be the dogs that will be euthanized...not the puppies.

December 26, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  16. Irritated in Fl

Millions of homeless dogs and they pay hundreds for a pure bred that they are already giving raw meat to. Nothing liken training an attack breed on the taste of blood.

December 26, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  17. Robin

Economy in the toilet, but I'm so glad CNN can report on the "real" issues.
    I could not care less about the dogs both our PE and VP get.

December 26, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  18. BigVin

Looks a little like Hillary

December 26, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  19. Janet in Reno

I am very thrilled! People who love animals are the best people! Kudos to VP Elect Joe and wife Jill Biden for bringing animals into their lives and the White House community. ANYTHING the Bidens do is A-OK. I am so happy that Joe Biden is our VP Elect. Miracles do happen. 2009 is going to be a wonderful, new year with a fresh start.

December 26, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  20. Concern citizen!!

Ewww that dog is ugly.

December 26, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  21. Tru in FL

Just because the economy is bad does not mean other stories cannot be reported. That is why news papers and websites have a variety of sections divided by topic. This is a cute puppy. Writing repeated stories of the economy will not change the fate of the economy. For the idiot who mentions it looks like Hillary, your stupid comments of her won't change who she is as a person, the gifts God gave her or her position in the government. We know men like you vote for Palin because you wish you could have her, what man doesn't want a woman with loosely attached thoughts, competitive relationship with her daughter and obviously fertile, prejudiced and small minded. Yes, I know that is very attractive to you but some men like educated, beautiful, funny charming women, men like Obama and Biden and thank God they still exist. There is hope for young, smart women!

December 26, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  22. Stortz

Pet owners should have the sense that choosing a pet for their home is a PERSONAL CHOICE! The fact that the VP elected has gotten a pure bread Shepherd does NOT mean that this pup came from a puppy mill!

That said, Champ looks to be a fine pup. I have no doubt that he will be loved and spoiled!

December 26, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  23. Andrea/ CA

some of these comments so childisch, and yet grown ups written them.. They can get a puppy or a dog wherever they choose too. I mean really leave them alone. Champ is a great name, and a great dog. Grow up you people, grow up.

December 26, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  24. silver

Before Biden feeds his dog any more bones he should check with his vet. Although some say it is 'natural' for dogs to eat bones it is also natural for them to die or have major problems because of bone fragments. And some bones coming out the backside can rip the poor animal a new (fill in the blank)

December 26, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  25. DISGUSTED!!!!

OMG!! Are you all adults, or children on here?!?! I'm a 24 year old, happily married (for 6 years), mother of 2, who feeds homeless cats, and guess what?!?!? I think it's great that they're getting a puppy- who cares if they "could" adopt from a shelter, really? If that's your reasoning for thinking that Biden is going to be a crappy VP, then God help us all that you can vote!!! Get a life! GROW UP! And focus on things that are really important! Hopefully, if you are all adults (as I suspect), then hopefully my generation is smarter than you! ARGH!

December 26, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |