December 26th, 2008

RNC chair candidate sends out controversial Obama song

(CNN) - A candidate for Republican National Committee chairman said Friday it was clear the content of a CD he sent committee members for Christmas - that included lyrics from a song called “Barack the Magic Negro” - was intended as a joke.

“I think most people recognize political satire when they see it,” Chip Saltsman told CNN. “I think RNC members understand that.” Saltsman, a former chair of the Tennessee Republican Party, was a top advisor to former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, and managed former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee’s presidential campaign.

The song, set to the tune of “Puff the Magic Dragon,” was first played on Rush Limbaugh’s radio show in 2007. Its title was drawn from a Los Angeles Times column that suggested Obama appealed to those who feel guilty about the nation’s history of mistreatment of African-Americans. Saltsman said the song, penned by long-time friend Paul Shanklin, should be easily recognized as satire directed at the Times.

The parody CD sent to RNC members this Christmas, first reported by The Hill Friday, is titled “We Hate the USA”, and includes songs referencing former presidential John Edwards and the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, among other targets.

Filed under: Chip Saltsman • RNC
  1. Haley

People always say their choice or action was a joke...so can I say RNC is a joke too because I am just joking too.

December 26, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  2. New England Yankee

Maybe it is time for someone to do a complete investigation of douche limbaugh and find out what is really going on. For a man who states that he is "one of us" he certainly doesn't act that way. I'm "one of us" and I do not have a walk-in humidor and I do not have gold fixtures in my bathrooms (I only have 1 1/2 and not 4). The illegal drugs should come into play as well. How did he beat that one?

December 26, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  3. tom

it is time to remove the republicans from all posistions of power they are evil

December 26, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  4. Where's the grace?

It's ironic that Chip Saltsman does something like that and I read what seems to be just as hateful speech back at him. There's no difference.

December 26, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  5. Sean

I am a black man..... I tried to see the satire, but I just can't. I am just deeply angry by it. This is so very sad.. And they (republicans) don't know why my race would be offended.....

December 26, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  6. T-Prop

Soooooo glad RNC is onb the outs.

December 26, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  7. Soccer Nana

Unbelievable. There is nothing "satiical" about the song. Obama is the PE and soon will be the President; get used to it! Pathetic.

December 26, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  8. proudliberal-independent

why not ask him to give the invocation?

December 26, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  9. Velmeezee

Regardless of if the song is racist or if it is 'merely' making fun of white guilt, it is NOT funny. The fact that some Americans still have to feel guilty about past and present mistreatment of other Americans is very sad indeed. Are doctors sending 'satire' CDs about AIDS or cancer to their constituents for Christmas? No I don't think there are any of those because AIDS, cancer, and the negative ways society deals with these scourges is not funny in any way, shape or form. Racially motivated injustice and its negative emotional aftermath is just as un-funny as AIDS. Anyone who thinks otherwise is callous and awful and I would think totally unfit to be in any leadership position.

December 26, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  10. Wayne in CA

just amazing(but not surprising..)

the RNC is a morally bankrupt and socially inept entity that needs to go extinct...

December 26, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  11. Texas Trail Kitty

OMG, you have got to be kidding. RNC, Rush all of of your ilk should just let it go. You cannot do anything to make President Obama, or any black people feel less than they are. The curtain has been lifted and the wizard has been revealed, and he ain't got no clothes. Seriously, Rush, get a real job, okay. And to the people who are the keepers of his 'audience' – take the sharp objects away from these people and give them shock treatments!

December 26, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  12. craig

who could use such a word?

United Negro College Fund

yes its a word, get over it.

December 26, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  13. Mike in NYC

Really, 90% of the posts here sound like they come from the same person.

There's more anti-white racism in this thread than there was pro-white racism in the entire GOP Presidential campaign. Actually, there was more pro-white racism evident in the Democratic primary than there was in the entire GOP Presidential campaign.

December 26, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  14. Sheri

Racist repugs. I will never vote republican!!!!!! Pigs, Pigs Pigs

December 26, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  15. Pat

Nasty Racist Pigs, Republicans

December 26, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  16. Linda

I am also AA and I HATE THE REPUBLICAN PARTY

December 26, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  17. Alaskim

Republican's are awesome. Their racist "humor" is pathethic. But gee, they don't care, they can go ask for forgiveness at church on Sunday.

December 26, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  18. John

I am 57, white and male. I have lived many places, done many things, lost too many friends already. I have a well-developed sense of humor.

Chip Saltsman should just die horribly, maybe F himself to death. That would be funny!

December 26, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  19. Lisa Vilen

O.K., if and when Jindal runs, I expect to hear tunes from the RNC like: Jindal Bells, Jindal Bells and Red Rover, Red Rover, Send Aladin Right Over. After all, it is only a satire, so why not have a little fun with one of their own. I also expect to see a Jindal Waffle Box, complete with a turban.

December 26, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  20. Steven

the satire is that barack isn't black or african american, he's half white, and his black father was absent all his life (where have we heard that one before?). he was raised on the beaches of hawaii with his white grandmother, if anything he's more white than "african american"

but let's face it, he used it to his advantage quite well in the campaign season. he describes himself as black, then acts like everyone else is racist for playing the "one drop" rule, which he uses on himself.
    you all know it – if barack obama didn't have a funny name and had fair skin, you wouldn't have nominated him.

i'm black, and barack doesn't know the first thing about the hardships black people have been through in this country. his ancestors weren't slaves, and i sure didn't grow up on the beaches of hawaii.

December 26, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  21. Hansen

How dispicable the Republic Party has become...wake up its 2009!

December 26, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  22. Hansen

Oops I meant how dispicable the Republican Party has become. Wake up it's 2009!

December 26, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  23. Jeffrey

Is it a wonder that 90% of all African Americans vote Democratic. I guess the RNC is aiming to alienate all of them. Truly pathetic. Now did he blacken his face and perform the song too?

December 26, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  24. Bgail

It is truly sad that we have people in major leadership (RNC) that would even consider, let alone carry out such a ridiculous, petty and racist communication and call it satire.

They know the difference and they know what they're doing. The difference now is that they have not wised up to the fact that most folk do not subscribe to their ideology any more. Talk about an inability to smell the coffee! Have they not looked around and seen what has happened to their party? People don't want to hear it–people who really care about this country anyway. I would think that they would wise up, lay low for a while and come up with a new plan. But I guess old beliefs and playbooks die hard.

December 26, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  25. NJP

Upon further review...

Just heard the "tune" on You Tube...it didn't strike me as particulary funny., nor as a clever satire of the LA Times column, which was its supposed inspiration. It was instead a rather ham-handed attempt to satirize Al Sharpton. Not sure whether it was racist but, as satire, I would have to say it was an abject failure.

December 26, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |