December 26th, 2008

RNC chair candidate sends out controversial Obama song

(CNN) - A candidate for Republican National Committee chairman said Friday it was clear the content of a CD he sent committee members for Christmas - that included lyrics from a song called “Barack the Magic Negro” - was intended as a joke.

“I think most people recognize political satire when they see it,” Chip Saltsman told CNN. “I think RNC members understand that.” Saltsman, a former chair of the Tennessee Republican Party, was a top advisor to former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, and managed former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee’s presidential campaign.

The song, set to the tune of “Puff the Magic Dragon,” was first played on Rush Limbaugh’s radio show in 2007. Its title was drawn from a Los Angeles Times column that suggested Obama appealed to those who feel guilty about the nation’s history of mistreatment of African-Americans. Saltsman said the song, penned by long-time friend Paul Shanklin, should be easily recognized as satire directed at the Times.

The parody CD sent to RNC members this Christmas, first reported by The Hill Friday, is titled “We Hate the USA”, and includes songs referencing former presidential John Edwards and the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, among other targets.

Filed under: Chip Saltsman • RNC
  1. virginia for obama

Okay everybody get ready to get out there and vote 2012.

Obama/Biden

December 26, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  2. Ravi in MO

Now why I am not surprised that a Confederate (Tennessee is part of the Confederacy) Republican would defend a viciously anti-Black song as "satire". Why are these Southern Whites still fighting the Civil War (or as they call it in the South, the War Between the States)?

When the GOP goes back to being the party of Lincoln (instead of the party of Jefferson Davis), it will once again attract a wide variety of folks.

December 26, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  3. pam Eugene OR

This is exactly why the Republicans will be out of power for a very long time. It was not funny when Rush first played it and it is not funny now.
    I swear I never thought it possible that Newt Gingrich would be the only Republican with any sense.
    All of you old, white, redneck bigots will die off and no one new will join your party. It will be just like natural selection. One day the last of you will just drop dead and the Republicans will be gone. I think that day will be here soon.

December 26, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  4. flybyshoeing

Since the Karl Rove story is closed to comments, and he is a Rethuglican I hope some of you all will take a look at a new video story just released by Project Save Justice. Frightening stuff. Please Google "Project Save Justice" and click on video. Thank you.

December 26, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  5. Melissa

Yes, and unfortunately for the RNC, most people also recognize undisguised rcism when they see it.

December 26, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  6. Larry, Hazleton, Pa

Mr Saltsman is not a bigot – but he is very stupid. This has nothing to do with the party he belongs because there are very stupid people in all parties.

December 26, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  7. ANAG LOS ANGELES, CA

morons. The RNC has become a joke.

December 26, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  8. Ahmed in NY

Is this a joke???

How can you possibly call this racist song a joke? This reminds me of when they had cartoons depicting African-Americans as dumb, ignorant goofballs that exist only for whites' amusement. And let's not forget the blackface skits of the early 20th century.

How sad. This is just outrageous.

December 26, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  9. A loner in NC

My mouth is agape from reading this article. The Republicans should be ashamed of themselves. I am just appalled at this!

December 26, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  10. Karen - Missouri

The RNC proves once again they are idiots and not true adults. This country certainly can't trust them to run a nation!

The more anyone connected with the RNC opens their mouths, the more the country hates them

December 26, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  11. lilacs

Why would anyone want to belong to the republican party. This is the party of hate, war mongering,and lies, lies and more lies. I keep hearing that the democrats hate america. When in fact it is republican that hate america, and anyone that is not a white man. As a woman I will never understand why any woman would belong to the republican party. If they had there way woman would be barefoot and pregant all the time. Glad I was wise enough as a young woman to see through the bs. Woman every where wake and and learn that the republicans are only there to serve white men.

December 26, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  12. Kaye

Who in their right mind thought this was funny? Members of the KKK and the RNC.

December 26, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  13. Ravi in MO

Why am I not surprised that this is coming from the GOP?

December 26, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  14. flybyshoeing

To Abu, who said "He is from Tenessee, says it all" got me thinking.
    Where is Fema? Why are we not seeing any Fema help with that 500 million gallon coal sludge disaster. Where is Sen. Crocker? What is going on?

December 26, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  15. Flo

Satire, where have we heard this before? The New Yorker cover of Obama and Michelle.................The problem with the RNC is too many sh@theads in the party i.e. Rush, Hannity, Rove, etc.

December 26, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  16. bmoody

All the republican party needs to do now is elect their Redneck Queen Sarah Palin as their leader!!!

The demise of the republicans took a while but its awful sweet :)

December 26, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  17. Anonymous

Republicans aren't happy unless they're being nasty. Thank goodness this group has been marginalized, and will continue to be seen as hateful and divisive as long as they engage in politics as usual.

December 26, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  18. Dave, Illinois

I think its just a stupid parity of what idiots like John Stewert and his ilk do on Comedy Central and SNL. Of course, all of you who are calling this "racists" and are so indignant over it are probably just fine with them, though. You all are hypocrits.

December 26, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  19. jan m

And you wonder why the republican party do not usually appeal to the minority population. A joke my behind. Don't pee in my ear and tell me it's raining.

December 26, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  20. Ex-Republican since Election 2008

Yeah sure..of course..Most people LIKE YOU will recognise it as political satire.....satire my a--..thanks for reminding me once again why I left that sorry group of people...

RNC you are a mess

December 26, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  21. Kaye

This is why you are sitting on the OUTSIDE of the White House. This is why the RNC is the LOSING PARTY.

December 26, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  22. President George Hussien Washington

Who doesnt know that RNC stands for Racist National Committee: I believe that everybody knows that the Republican Party is the party of the confederate, they are all bigots, and should not be taken seriously

December 26, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  23. Steve Ivins, Esq. Arlington

Let's have demagogue Sarah Palin singing this song waving a confederate flag in one hand and a gun in another for the Sarah Palin/David Duke ticket. No need to hold back. Let it all hang out.

December 26, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse NY

To all those who are irate, I've heard a lot worse from Chris Rock. Why is it OK when he does it? I didn't hear many politically correct cries of sexism when SNL made fun of Palin (which by the way I thought was funny). You uber-libs need to chill out.

December 26, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  25. sunshine

shame on the republican party, they should do away with the whole party, this was not intended to be a joke, it was plain and simple more hate coming from this disgusting bunch of mean and shameless people. i will never again vote republican.

December 26, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |