December 26th, 2008

RNC chair candidate sends out controversial Obama song

(CNN) - A candidate for Republican National Committee chairman said Friday it was clear the content of a CD he sent committee members for Christmas - that included lyrics from a song called “Barack the Magic Negro” - was intended as a joke.

“I think most people recognize political satire when they see it,” Chip Saltsman told CNN. “I think RNC members understand that.” Saltsman, a former chair of the Tennessee Republican Party, was a top advisor to former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, and managed former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee’s presidential campaign.

The song, set to the tune of “Puff the Magic Dragon,” was first played on Rush Limbaugh’s radio show in 2007. Its title was drawn from a Los Angeles Times column that suggested Obama appealed to those who feel guilty about the nation’s history of mistreatment of African-Americans. Saltsman said the song, penned by long-time friend Paul Shanklin, should be easily recognized as satire directed at the Times.

The parody CD sent to RNC members this Christmas, first reported by The Hill Friday, is titled “We Hate the USA”, and includes songs referencing former presidential John Edwards and the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, among other targets.

Filed under: Chip Saltsman • RNC
  1. GuyInVA

I'm a conservative, and I despise a bigot. It's easy to take a comment like this a attribute it to all conservatives or all republicans (they are not the same). A bigot is a true low life. Wouldn't you agree Senator Byrd (D-WV)?

December 26, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  2. ran

People we must demand that the Republican party change and if not we must never allow them to win another election of any kind. This kind of behavior can not be allowed to continue in any form. We the people can stop this if we truly care.

December 26, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  3. abdul S

This RNC party is not only routed and rejected by the majority of the Amercan people , but they also has committed political sucide by their ideology. I wonder sometimes where are their leaders. I thought they were going to rebuild their part and bring a new agenda to the American people. I guess that they haven not learned anything from the last election.

December 26, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  4. Thomas

There is simply no way to disguse this offensive *&%# as anything but racism. Pure and simple! Got it RNC? Oh, and by the way, it played on Limbaugh? Any more questions???

December 26, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  5. Anonymous

I just listened to this song for the first time on youtube just now. As an Obama supporter, I don't really think it's making fun of Obama as much as it's making fun of Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and all the other extremists who, in spite of all the effort and publicity they accomplished over the years, still didn't come close to what Obama accomplished in just 18 months.

December 26, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  6. Meka

AND WHY DIDN'T PALIN'S HATE RALLIES NOT TEACH THE REPUG'S ANYTHING? I CONTINUE HAVE TO REMIND MYSELF, AS WHOM I'M SPEAKING ABOUT!

THIS IS A PARTY THAT BELIEVES "EDUCATION IS A SPECIAL INTEREST"

*****GO FIGURE*****

December 26, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  7. Mary

I read the comments below and I must confess, I do not understand the "outrage" from people I perceive as being democrats. This is actually good news for the Democratic party.

Think about it: wouldn't be good if in 2012, Chip is the RNC chair and Gov. Palin is the Republican candidate for president? What better way to ensure 'D' victories in future elections than by having someone who jokes about hating America as chair of the RNC? And because he is a fan of Rush, we can expect to see more like this in the news, if he is elected.

So, in my opinion, democrats should work really hard to ensure that this guy wins the RNC chair position.

December 26, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  8. J

It's sad the republican party has been hijacked by southern racists. There is a reason why most northeastern republican congressmen were wiped out in this last election. So long as the national party is run by the South, the South will dominate their culture and push out the culture of anyone else who isn't white. I'm from the South, I love the South, I understand that these cultural holdovers from the South are destroying it. The death of Southern political power has been ruled a suicide.

December 26, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  9. Paul Krause

More Wit from the Un-American Party.

December 26, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  10. Pam

Wow, what a funny joke...not. This is why they always lose. Keep up the good work GOP!

December 26, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  11. Florida

Yep....another former Republican here (confirmed AGAIN by the RNC and its "leadership"). How sad.

December 26, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  12. Callie

CJ
    Oklahoma
    Here I thought a lot of people in my state had a problem with people of color, but nothing like this. I just can't believe my eyes. "I hate America" how dumb can you get. This man can't think for himself if his only answer for this king of dumbness is I hear it on the radio show of some one who we all know likes keeping America divided. I guess in my life time I will never vote rep. again, I sure don't want people to think I am that dumb.

December 26, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  13. Marge

I don't like any type of racial slur. Bet you one thing tho if they would write a song joking about women they would be offended if you complained. Look at the presidential campaign.

December 26, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  14. Miss Mellie

This is appalling. Not all republicans find this funny.

December 26, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  15. Crazy Cat Lady

Words of wisdom: "When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."

The RNC, on the other hand, has just ordered in a fresh truckload of shovels.

December 26, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  16. Sarah

Truly pathetic the republicans have become. Ohh and this guy was Mike Huckabees campaign manager. Yah way to go to the "christian party" spreading hate,racism, and inequality. PATHETIC.

December 26, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  17. Olaf

Well, the Republicans seem bent on political suicide. If they would lift their heads they would see the evidence all around them that American citizens are tired of this kind of crap and want President Obama to succeed.

December 26, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  18. Jeff Brown

Keep up the good work GOP... this is why you are out of power and will be for many years to come!

December 26, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  19. observer

And racism was suppose to be over in America??

December 26, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  20. Hopeful in Ohio

Wow......sounds like someone needs a teddy bear and a blanket.........The country is facing it's worst challenges in over 70 years since 1929, bailouts are going to every Wall Street Corporation with the only stipulation being that you must hold out your hand, and then there was Sarah Palin. What ever happened to united we stand, divided we fall. Not only is this an American mantra, but it's in the Bible (for all the right wing evangelicals). Do Republicans really read the Bible, or is it only needed every 4 years as a way to try and prove Democrats are heathens. I mean seriously, I often wonder, why is it that the party of morals, ethics, and values hides behind a vale of divisiveness, fear, and racism. Now I understand why there is a Black National Republican Party and there is the GOP. Amazing, it sounds like someone needs to go to church more often.

December 26, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  21. Brandon from WI

The Republican sense of humor becomes more and more senseless. Using a person's race in such a intolerant way is why they are continuing to lose elctions in a society that is becoming more pluralistic.

December 26, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  22. Racist white trash

This is additional evidence the Republican Party has become a hang-out for racist white trash. Ugly, uneducated people with ego problems when someone from another race outperforms them.

December 26, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  23. Troy Miller

RNC: Racist National Committee

December 26, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  24. AdamW

Pathetic racism disguised as satire. Really lame. Come on. It's almost 2009. Get a clue.

December 26, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  25. Ana

I must say that it's encouraging that none of the Republican bloggers who frequent this site have tried to rationalize this.

It gives me hope.