December 26th, 2008

SI.com: What does Barack Obama’s golf swing tell us?

Barack Obama spends his Christmas vacation golfing in Hawaii.
Barack Obama spends his Christmas vacation golfing in Hawaii.

Golf.com has performed an important service. It has posted five photographs, taken by AP photographer Gerald Herbert, that shows President-elect Barack Obama on vacation in Hawaii playing golf. This is invaluable as we all know that nothing, not even a CNN special called "Obama Revealed," reveals the soul as ruthlessly and efficiently as how one plays the old Scottish game.

John F. Kennedy nearly made a hole-in-one on the short par-3 15th at Cypress Point (the best-smelling hole in all of golf, if you like the mix of eucalyptus and brackish ocean water) while running for the presidency in 1960. Kennedy, considered by presidential golfing historians to be by far the most skilled of our golf-playing presidents, was relieved to see the ball stay out. He was trying to succeed Dwight Eisenhower as president, and not as First Golfer. The game then wasn't the populist activity it has become. Kennedy, foolishly, allowed himself to be photographed taking a golf swing in fancy loafers, no socks. Still, he won West Virginia.

But Obama does not have to run from his golf. The guess here is that he's an athlete and a duffer and fun to play with.

Full Story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Milhouse van Houten

Well.let's see,it appears his stance is a little bit open,his left knee is to upright.Not enough flex on his left side,clubs a little open at the top of his swing.I would guess,at best he hits a high fade but at worst,he has a nasty slice.

December 26, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  2. Leah DiMarco, Texas

CNN thank you for keeping up with all the trivia of Obama – it's good to see him having some fun – he has a lot of work to do in the near future ;)

December 26, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  3. Realist

it tells us that he sucks.

December 26, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  4. Pete

It tells me that the CNN journalists need to go back to school to figure out what to write about.

December 26, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  5. Pete

One question about a man from the Midwest with little kids. Why would you leave Chicago, with all it's snow, to spend Christmas in Hawaii? I know he doesn't have midwest values.

December 26, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  6. Chad, Wisco

Other than he's a lefty, not a whole lot.

December 26, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  7. T

Why are there 400+ comments on the Sara Palin calender and only 13 on the Rambo/ Blago Subpoena??????? and who cares about what obama does all day at home, looks like the media is going to let every crazy gun toting religious nut in the U.S get a clear shot. I didnt vote for him but looks to me like he needs to be more protected then this.....................

December 26, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  8. Irritated in Fl

OMG! Are you serious? First you make us look at his flabby torso with no shirt on then you show him hunched over a golf swing and call him an athelete? You news people are getting desperate.

December 26, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  9. Flo

sometimes I feel really bad for Obama..............whatever he does from now on will be scrutinized by people as evidenced by the posts on most of these stories. CNN mocking Golf.com analysis and reporting it with the zealousness of a tabloid. The man can't even go on vacation without the press trying to get a story. PE I'm glad you're keeping your head above this nonsense, "just keep on keeping on" and 4 years later they will be singing another tune.

PEACE

December 26, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  10. Robin

I know some people who were not able to afford Christmas gifts for their kids this year. Good to see Obama living it up on taxpayer's money and his 5 star vacation.

December 26, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  11. arkansaslastineverythingthatsgood

Where's the cigar ?

December 26, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  12. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

@NIKI

No, it's not just you.
    The man is smokin' HOT!
    Have you seen him shirtless??!?!?!
    YUMMY!
    Michelle is one lucky woman.

December 26, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  13. Tru in FL

Love that swing and that swagger Mr. President. ;) "No one on the Hill got swagger like him."

Whomever thinks FOX is unbiased you are funny as heck and gave me good laugh. There is NO UNBIASED news. Until reporters become robots, they are human and bias will be there. Tell Campbell Brown that. For all of her no bias no bull, it is apparent that she can't stand Obama. Also, I don't see how someone could compare them to Will and Jada and try to tell me that isn't race based. Will and Jada and Barack and Michelle are very different people and just because they are all beautiful shades of caramel doesn't make them the same people. Barack Obama is a beautiful smart person and the media loves beauty so the stories will be there. I enjoyed both of his books and I like the stories of him that aren't political. He is a fascinating person and every college educated Black woman I know wishes someone like that could be cloned for them. Haha. (ok...now I know the racist comments are coming after I mention black women since we are always above all, hated the most).

December 26, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  14. PHIL

HE KNOWS HOW TO PLYA. I LIKE HIM SO ...................

December 26, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  15. Trish

For God's sake CNN – you are so sick. I will go back to my other blogs. Thought by now things might have changed but NOT.

December 26, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  16. Jeff in NC

People please! He's not the President yet. He can do whatever he wants until Jan 20th. He's just the average American like all of us trying to enjoy the last bit of normallity in life. After Jan 20 the expectations will be so high and I really feel the Country will be his upmost concern.

December 26, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  17. goofy

Tiger Wood looks pretty good In this pic!!

December 26, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |