December 26th, 2008

SI.com: What does Barack Obama’s golf swing tell us?

Barack Obama spends his Christmas vacation golfing in Hawaii.
Barack Obama spends his Christmas vacation golfing in Hawaii.

Golf.com has performed an important service. It has posted five photographs, taken by AP photographer Gerald Herbert, that shows President-elect Barack Obama on vacation in Hawaii playing golf. This is invaluable as we all know that nothing, not even a CNN special called "Obama Revealed," reveals the soul as ruthlessly and efficiently as how one plays the old Scottish game.

John F. Kennedy nearly made a hole-in-one on the short par-3 15th at Cypress Point (the best-smelling hole in all of golf, if you like the mix of eucalyptus and brackish ocean water) while running for the presidency in 1960. Kennedy, considered by presidential golfing historians to be by far the most skilled of our golf-playing presidents, was relieved to see the ball stay out. He was trying to succeed Dwight Eisenhower as president, and not as First Golfer. The game then wasn't the populist activity it has become. Kennedy, foolishly, allowed himself to be photographed taking a golf swing in fancy loafers, no socks. Still, he won West Virginia.

But Obama does not have to run from his golf. The guess here is that he's an athlete and a duffer and fun to play with.

Full Story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. MaryJo Bruce Surprise, Ariz

Obamas golf swing tells us that he needs help and a cigarette,

December 26, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  2. GuyInVA

This is a historic moment. The first golf swing by an African American President-elect wearing short pants and two tone golf shoes while occupying one of the non-contiguous states that is less than 50 years into statehood. WOW! Just another mile marker on the Road To Rushmore.

December 26, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  3. Joe Unger, San Francisco

What is the complaining about? Obama is one of the biggest celebrities in the world so there are going to be constant stories about him, whether important or not. Until you, the people, stop buying into everything Obama, we will continue to hear every little detail about him. Aren't you tired of hearing about Paris HIlton, Britney Spears, Sarah Palin, Brangelina and the rest also? Me too. Our country is too celebrity obsessed but keep on buying the Obama shirts, caps, inauguaration plates, clicking on stories and buying up the magazines. Until the public stops buying, the sale of Obamamania will keep going on.

December 26, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  4. TexAnnie *-*-*-*-*

Okay, enough of the drivel. I voted for Obama, so I'm not out to slam him. But the constant coverage of such mundane trivial stuff is making the media lookj pretty stupid. Did you all get your training from TMZ or what??????

December 26, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  5. jimbo

To all right wing RACISTS – you will be RULED over by a black man for 4 yrs, whether you like it or not. That's right...hahaha...eat your hearts out. I look forward to watching you squirm in pain for 4 yrs losers. Hahahaha...

December 26, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  6. Taa Taa

Keep it up CNN... I absolutely love it.. I log on to see what is being said about my President. Haters can log on elsewhere as this is not the only news out there.... Love Obama/Biden Hey now!!!!!!!!!!

December 26, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. Debby

Poor guy, I am surprised we aren't reading about his latrine duties hahaha.

December 26, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  8. Joyce

I am all for Obama, but agree that maybe the coverage is a little bit too much. How do I handle it? I just ignore it because it's not worth getting upset about....anyway there may be some people interested in his golf game, even if I am not.

December 26, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  9. fairness

when people will stop comparing ones to others? Why we all cannot be our own individualities? I personally do not like to be compared to anyone. I am I, myself. SO is everyone else.
    Kennedy was himself, Obama is himself, Einstein was is own person too, and anyone.
    It is so ridiculous to compare and keep comparing instead of finding unique qualities.

December 26, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  10. Dakota

he looks like tiger woods out there

December 26, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  11. Edwin

Seriously?! You honestly think that his caliber as a leader can be measured by his freakin golf swing?!

I cast by ballot for obama but this is insane!

December 26, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  12. A.P

Mr Obama I approve your last vacation.You have alot of job to done. Finish your job Before go to next vacation. I am your best Friends Ap.

December 26, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  13. Maurizio/Rome

There is a serious world recessionan, and this the best you can do, CNN?

December 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  14. chuck

MR.PRESIDENT YOU WILL DEFINITELY NEED TO CONTACT THE MASTER TIGER WOODS FOR SOME TIPS ON GOLF.

December 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  15. Elaine Armstrong

I'm a Canadian, but we must keep up with the States because if You sneeze we catch cold.Having said that I must tell you how pleased we are about Obama getting in and I don't care what you write about him as long as your're getting rid of Bush. I think he's mentally unstable to have done what's he's been doing for 7.9 years. Hey, just my opinion.

December 26, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  16. Florida Gold

I`m sure the media would like to know what brand of toilet tissue he uses

December 26, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  17. vanessa

Barack Obama's golf swing doesn't tell us anything you stalkers. The media has become too opsessed with this dirty Chicago politician, I can't wait to see the media turn on him once he commits a crime.He probablly won't cheat on his wife like Bill did, but maybe he'll implement the same old dirty Chicago politics like "Blago," or maybe Wright and Ayers might help him lead.

December 26, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  18. Lauren

CNN = National Enquirer

What is next? What brand of toilet paper Obama uses?
    I suppose this is the best we get from college educated journalism
    reporters. I think my small town local paper staff could do better.

Maybe I will just start going to Fox news for my information.

December 26, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  19. Norom

Noah the nitwit-
    Rohde the retard
    Get a life

December 26, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  20. clifford

Just what are we going to do about his saucer shaped parachute dumbo ears???

December 26, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  21. THE OLD TIMER

HE TALKS OUT OF BOTH SIDES OF HIS MOUTH

December 26, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  22. Rich

It tells us that CNN has nothing better to do than write stories that mean nothing and is a waist of time.

December 26, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  23. Tom in CA

If Barack was a good golfer (handicap =15), then you get your mulligans and everyone knows that you're not a sandbagger!

December 26, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  24. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Barack is a hottie.

And a smart one too!

December 26, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  25. tom

I wonder if he cheats as much as Clinton?...I mean at GOLF. Get your minds out of the gutter.

December 26, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |