December 27th, 2008

Strange bedfellows in Illinois

Sen. Dick Durbin asked President Bush to commute former Gov. George Ryan's prison sentence.

Watch: Amid one controversy about an Illinois governor there is another. CNN's Elaine Quijano reports on some strange bedfellows.

Filed under: Dick Durbin • Illinois
  1. Lisa Vilen

The St. Paul Pioneer Press recently listed the top five Corrupt States: In order, they were Louisiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, Alabama, and Ohio. Illinois was number 6. Makes you wonder what is going on with the top 5, if Illinois is only number 6.

December 27, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  2. Phil

Durbin's arguement is that George Ryan's wife is old and frail and George should be let out of prision so he can be with his faimily.
    The people who lost famlies to the drivers he sold drivers licenses to will never get their famlies back So I for one do not feel bad for George Ryan. A second point. Currently Blago is on his way to prison as well. Both should remain their full terms to send a message to others about corruption government.

December 27, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  3. thanks, but no thanks

Please, CNN stop talking about accountability when it was nothing for 8 years. Where were the tough questions befo e the Iraq war. Oh forgott, public feelings were going to be hurt, or the story would not sell. You are just pseudo-jounalists, there is nothing fair and balanced in your reporting. You also need change.

December 27, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  4. earle,florida

Well, this is another fine mess you've gotten us into Blag'? With Lincoln's" prodigal son" frolicking on the beaches of Hawaii, and his right arm Emanuel in Africa,say what? You want a pardon for the same behavior we're admonishing now as criminal,...tell me it ain't so Dick? God Bless America for truly you have forsakened us!

December 27, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  5. BB

Regular people don't get pardon or their sentences commuted, it shouldn't happen for politicians either. Are they above the laws they make for us to live by?

December 27, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  6. Farrell, Houston, Tx

There should be a trade off if Durbin wants Ryan's sentence to be commuted. Durbin should take his place.

December 27, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  7. charmaine a nygaard

Somebody, help me please. I would like Barack to sign my Barakc Obama Mobile, so I can then auction it off on E-Bay. Who can help me with this. Thanks, Char, Greenlawn, NY

December 27, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  8. Texas Teacher

And are we surprised? Just wait... there are going to some pretty pitiful pardons before Bush is OUT... *sigh* too many in his "team" who need pardons. I'm sure he will find many befoe it is over! Again, let me reiterate..... good ole boy politics. It's going to die hard... to be sure. But die it must, if we are to have a real democracy in this country.

Just saying... :)

December 27, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  9. rob

Who does this guy think he is, he was one of the most vicious critics of Bush's spewing hatred and lies and now he wants a favor for a guy who sold false drivers licenses to illegals, I hope Bush asks him to kindly POUND SALT.

December 27, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  10. phil68

good luck.

December 27, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  11. malabar

if you want tons of comments for anything you write, inject sarah palins name in there somewhere. she's obviously a complete rock star on both sides of the aisle, for good or bad, SARAH PALIN IS HERE TO STAY! Thank goodness for that!

December 27, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  12. tom

Texas Teacher- After reading just some of your posts. I would doubt it that you are. Before you mention ONE WORD of anybody Bush pardon's, I recommend you review the LONG list of pardons by the one and only Billy Jeff Clinton. THAT list would make a hooker blush (Billy Jeff would know). The hypocrisy of the liberals no no bounds.

December 27, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  13. Larisa

The only people who should be pardoned are two board patrol agents in prison for doing their job. It's disgusting that based on the word of drug dealer, they were convicted in the first place. All these "deals" with prosecution are disgusting. But if system worked this way, the least that can be done now is to let them go now.

December 27, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  14. Richard Larson

I guess we can expect that if a president pardons convicted drug dealers and scam artists, that he would be willing to pardon a crooked politician. "Birds-of-a-feather"? Sounds appropriate doesn't it?"

My guess is that the senator believes that political favors are wrong only if you are paid to do them. My guess is that Ryan has family who can take care of his wife. I can't see any point in letting a convict out of prison early unless he has shown that his release will add to the good of the community. Releasing Ryan won't accomplish that end. It would only be a favor to him that he doesn't deserve.

December 27, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  15. No Hillary = No Obama

Politics is one big fat strange bedfellow.

December 27, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  16. Mike

Why doesn't a reporter ask OBAMA whether he thinks Ryan should be pardoned? He has come out for Illinois politics to be cleaned up but yet his good friend is for letting another corrupt politician out of jail early while Patrick Fitrgerald does a great job trying to clean up the state. I AM GLAD I VOTED FOR CHANGE I CAN BELIEVE IN !!!!!!!!!

December 27, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  17. Say NO to TOM

Tom, Let your obsession with Bill Clinton go-that was 1999. Can you move forward, please?

December 27, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  18. dittoheads are sick

At least his parents gave him the right first name.Durbin is one.

December 27, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  19. Joy

Wow isnt' that something Lisa Vilen. The top five states you listed are all republicans. Wonder why the media isn't reporting on that or how Coleman is being investigated by the F.B.I.

December 27, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  20. WIlly Brown

The next most democratic controlled corrupt state in the Union.

December 27, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  21. honestly

Most reporters are NOT telling the whole story about George Ryan, because he is responsible for 11 deaths attributed to his bribes for unqualified commercial drivers' licenses to help finance his run for Governor in 1999.
    Not only did Ryan know about the deaths caused by his little kickback scheme in '94, he covered them up. As a result, innocent people died, including 6 small children of the Willis family outside of Milwaukee WI.
    Personally, I don't think Ryan should be released AT ALL; he should spend the rest of his days in the worst prison we can find.
    What's up with Dick Durbin? He's cut from the same cloth as George Ryan. Maybe they could share a cell someday.

December 27, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  22. Texas Teacher

I wish the ole Texas Teacher would proof read before posting... *LOL* sorry, commentators it shocks me as much as I image it is shocking you at some of my comments! I stand by each and everyone of them.... coherent or not! :)

December 27, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  23. ml - California

If Illinois is number 6 for corruption, then why is there so much time being spent on Blago and his doings? Should we not be spending time on critical issues that affect this country? This Blago situation and his buddies is ridiculous – get off it media and move on!!! THIS COUNTRY DOE NOT HAVE TIME FOR THIS NONSENSE!!!

December 27, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  24. ChicagoSuz

I agree with Sen. Durbin.

December 27, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  25. Apples for sale

This guys photo is worth a thousand words,but none of them are good.

December 27, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |