December 28th, 2008

Rice: People will thank Bush for what he's done

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says 'there is no greater honor than to serve this country.'

(CNN) – Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said that despite President Bush's low approval ratings, people will soon "start to thank this president for what he's done."

So we can sit here and talk about the long record, but what I would say to you is that this president has faced tougher circumstances than perhaps at any time since the end of World War II, and he has delivered policies that are going to stand the test of time," Rice said in an interview that aired on CBS' "Sunday Morning."

The secretary of state brushed off reports that suggest the United States' image is suffering abroad. She praised the administration's ability to change the conversation in the Middle East.

"This isn't a popularity contest. I'm sorry, it isn't. What the administration is responsible to do is to make good choices about Americans' interests and values in the long run - not for today's headlines, but for history's judgment," she said.

"And I am quite certain that when the final chapters are written and it's clear that Saddam Hussein's Iraq is gone in favor of an Iraq that is favorable to the future of the Middle East; when the history is written of a U.S.-China relationship that is better than it's ever been; an India relationship that is deeper and better than it's ever been; a relationship with Brazil and other countries of the left of Latin America, better than it's ever been ...

"When one looks at what we've been able to do in terms of changing the conversation in the Middle East about democracy and values, this administration will be judged well, and I'll wait for history's judgment and not today's headlines."

Asked by CBS' Rita Braver why some former diplomats say Americans are disliked around the world, Rice said that's "just not true."

Full story

Filed under: Condoleezza Rice • George W. Bush
  1. Adrian Veidt

I didn't know Condi was planning to become a comedian.

December 28, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  2. zephyr

No way people will be thankful to him. Shut your mouth RIce.

December 28, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. Jack in Florida

Apparently Condoleeza has been living elsewhere these past 8 years............................

December 28, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  4. Victor in RI

Condi, you are such a fool. I don't thank Bush for a War, I don't thank him for unemployment, I don't thank him for deviding the nation...
    If you thank him, Condi, go ahead! Not me and not 80% of the nation. End your career in the whimper that others who have worked and defended Bush have. Goodbye! 23 Days and Counting!

December 28, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  5. Steven

Thank him? THANK HIM?!?!

Get lost already you arrogant rethug lady you!!

December 28, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  6. BUSH BEGONE AND 75% OF AMERICANS FINALLY AGREE!

Sounds as if Rice is trying to play CYA!

December 28, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  7. Texas Teacher

You must be losing your mind, Condoleeza Rice.... I can only imagine how it is that you and your "husband", I mean boss, can look yourselves in the mirror after all the lying, cheating, and covering your stupidity over the last 8 years. You will both go down in history along with Cheney and his bozos as the biggest terrorists of this century. I think History will treat neither of your kindly... and rightly so! :(

December 28, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  8. happy new year

evidently rice has been brain washed, maybe if bush and his cabinet would have been focusing on the U.S. instead of all these foriegn countries we wouldn't be in such a disasterous situation today, history may be kind to him but that don't change a thing, america is suffering.

December 28, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  9. Bob Sacamano

Yes, we will thank him for all the material he has provided for the late-night comedy shows.

December 28, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  10. chris@stl

No way, Condi. You, like your fellow repubs are living in a bubble unaware of what's going on around you, and patting each others back.

December 28, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  11. BB

But look what he's done TO THIS COUNTRY. People losing homes, no jobs, no money – oh, I guess we don't count. Where does the tax base come from? The big corporations ----– the taxes had better come from big corporations, because the little people are dead in the water. That's what I'll remember the Warmonger for.

December 28, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  12. Luke

I'll thank him for finally leaving office and all the entertainment he provided with Bushisms. Thats about it.

December 28, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  13. Denise Campbell

Condi in what world are you living in?
    You have became delusional.
    What a waste.

December 28, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  14. B.O.FAN

Oh yes she's got the Memo. Condoleezza Rice, Stick to the talking point the Admin sent out.
    You've got to be ashamed looking yourself in the mirror saying that bull***.

December 28, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  15. Chris

In the words of Rice, this theory is 'just not true.'

December 28, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  16. Lynn in CT

Perhaps if Ms. Rice lived for a while outside the US, and in the common world, not in the rarified air she's been breathing of late, she would find that it is very true that Americans are disliked around the world.

When I first moved ot Europe during the Clinton years, people were quite friendly and liked to talk about the US. By the time I left earlier this year, I had learned, when asked if I was American, to say I didn't agree with Bush. Not doing so could bring on a tirade against Americans and someone even spit at me and told me to take it back to Bush.

In fact, what impressed me first about Obama as a candidate was that he understood how the US has lost respect around the world and that needed to be regained.

No, Ms. Rice, it is not a popularity contest. However, a country cannot be hypocritical, arrogant and deceptive and expect other countries to continue to trust and listen to them.

December 28, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  17. Bush Beat you democrats twice, so who is the IDIOT?

Absolutely, Bush is a True Patriot and History will be kind to him. The idiot bloggers on here that call President Bush every name in the book these are the same people that have no concept of Reality and like their Messiah(Obama) are naive. THANK YOU PRESIDENT BUSH there are some Americans that actually get it and see you for what you are , a very GREAT American that Protected this country and his fellow citizens.

December 28, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  18. Proud American

OK, it's time to have condi drug tested. George Bush, Cheney, Rice Rumsfield and the rest of that admin. should be in federal prison. This a complete village of idiots.

December 28, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  19. scott

havent we had just about enough idiocy and delusion from Bush+Co??
    please.................just....................go.........................away...

December 28, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  20. Proud American

I'm sure all the parents and family members of dead American sevice men and women will be the first in line to say thanks. The federal Gov't should have this idiot drug tested.

December 28, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  21. With any luck

people will send him to jail

December 28, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  22. Sara from Arizona

I can't believe Clinton is going to replace Ms. Rice. So disappointing.

December 28, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  23. Give me a break!

Thank him? Thank him? For what Ms. Rice? I used to think you were the brains in the White House...now just go along your way with the rest of them. Geez!

December 28, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  24. Will, NJ

Statement = False.
    System error.
    Does not compute.

December 28, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  25. DOC

"Peace be with you"- The Messiah, 'Prince of Peace'

"Sometimes money trumps...peace"-George W. Bush