December 28th, 2008

Rice: People will thank Bush for what he's done

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says 'there is no greater honor than to serve this country.'

(CNN) – Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said that despite President Bush's low approval ratings, people will soon "start to thank this president for what he's done."

So we can sit here and talk about the long record, but what I would say to you is that this president has faced tougher circumstances than perhaps at any time since the end of World War II, and he has delivered policies that are going to stand the test of time," Rice said in an interview that aired on CBS' "Sunday Morning."

The secretary of state brushed off reports that suggest the United States' image is suffering abroad. She praised the administration's ability to change the conversation in the Middle East.

"This isn't a popularity contest. I'm sorry, it isn't. What the administration is responsible to do is to make good choices about Americans' interests and values in the long run - not for today's headlines, but for history's judgment," she said.

"And I am quite certain that when the final chapters are written and it's clear that Saddam Hussein's Iraq is gone in favor of an Iraq that is favorable to the future of the Middle East; when the history is written of a U.S.-China relationship that is better than it's ever been; an India relationship that is deeper and better than it's ever been; a relationship with Brazil and other countries of the left of Latin America, better than it's ever been ...

"When one looks at what we've been able to do in terms of changing the conversation in the Middle East about democracy and values, this administration will be judged well, and I'll wait for history's judgment and not today's headlines."

Asked by CBS' Rita Braver why some former diplomats say Americans are disliked around the world, Rice said that's "just not true."

Full story

Filed under: Condoleezza Rice • George W. Bush
  1. McKinney Kid

Let us not forget that we elected the guy in 2004. We elected someone else in 2000, but Florida ....

90% of us supported him at the beginning of the Iraq fiasco. I did too, though I voted against him. I believed Powell when he said that there was "no doubt" that Iraq had 2,000 TONS of bacterial and dirty nuclear material. That convinced me that they were intending to use it, probably against Israel, and that we should intervene. I was a fool. At least, I was fooled.

In the end, it is the voters who voted for him that are to blame. They should have known better. I certainly did.

December 28, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  2. jaye

Don't count on it, Condi.

December 28, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  3. End Of An Error

Wow, Condi, you're right – people will thank George W. Bush for what he has done.

Too bad the people doing the thanking are all enemies of the USA.

Bush and his cabal of thugs need to be facing charges for what they have done.

December 28, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  4. Familyguy

Thank you Mr. President. You have successfully created an entire new generation of terrorists for our children.

December 28, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  5. Todd Gearou

Can you say "Robot?" I wonder what color is the sky in Condaleeza Rice' world? All I can say is 23 days... 23 days...

December 28, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  6. Stephen

Rice is as big an idiot and ego-maniac as bush.

December 28, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  7. Dave

Ms. Rice, I know you have to be loyal to your party, but maybe just saying nothing at all would make you look smarter(and saner)!

December 28, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  8. geen

yup. thanks, george for your unparralled incompetence in sending 4220 americans to their meaningless deaths in iraq; thanks george for your unparrlelled incompetence in handling the disastor (ongoing) which was Katrina; thanks george for, because of your illegal invasion and occupation of a sovereign country (didn't Hitler do that in Poland in 1939?), your unparalled incompetence because of the cost of that war you love so much, has destroyed this economy; thanks george, for your total disregard of the bill of rights (except, of course, for the 2nd amendment, for which you owe the NRA for your election); thank you george, for your unparalleld incompetence in almost every area of government touched by your regime....to Condoleza Rice, I merely say..."WHAT ARE YOU....NUTS?..ARE YOU, AS PART OF THIS MOST INCOMPETENT OF REGIMES THIS COUNTRY HAS EVER HAD THE MISFORTUNE OF EXISTING UNDER, IN COMPLETE DENIAL...WHAT AMERICA WERE YOU LIVING UNDER IN THE PAST EIGHT YEARS...????" GOOD RIDDANCE TO THIS MORON AND ALL WHO BENT LOW TO KISS HIS A–!

December 28, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  9. aware

Yes, I am an Independent, and I thank Bush for many wise decisions! I think in the long run history will treat him very well! :)

On the other hand, PEBO, the Chicago bred palm-greasing, wound salting politician scares me silly! Saul Alinskey's son claims his father, the community organizer who wrote "Rules for Radicals" gave PEBO the tools to win the election. :(

December 28, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  10. Jason in SC

Lynn in CT,

While I won't stoop to calling you names or saying that you're lying, I will say that I lived the first 9 months of this year in Germany. And while I found that the majority of people did not necessarily like President Bush, I found literally zero "anti-American" sentiment. This held true in Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, and France–and if you have honestly spent any time over there at all, you'll admit that no one has any aversions to talking about politics, one way or the other.

As for Bush's "lies", I'd like for any one of the moronic Obama-bots on here to tell me just one thing that he said that was not previously said by both Clintons, Al Gore, John Kerry, John Edwards, Tony Blair, Jean Chretien, Jacques Chirac, Gerhard Schroeder, Boutros-Boutros Ghali, Kofi Annan....and countless others. Either they were all "lying" or there was an intelligence failure of monumental proportions–you can't have it both ways and lay it all on Bush.

Yes, the economy is currently in the toilet. But that is no more entirely the fault of Bush than it is entirely the result of the Community Reinvestment Acts of 1977 or 1995, both of which REQUIRED banks to lend to people who could not afford a mortgage.

I truly hope that Obama is a fraction of what his supporters think of him. If so, I'm sure the streets will be paved with gold and will each have our own big rock candy mountain in no time, not to mention the cures for cancer and AIDS. And of course, there will never be another person in the world saying a bad thing about "The Great Satan", America (for most of you who seem to fall between the ages of 12 and 18, we were called that long before Bush was ever president.)

December 28, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  11. Humored in Texas

Remember, this is the same woman who suddenly doesn't believe in Affirmative Action, when it was Affirmative Action that got her the job of Stanford Provost absent the usual tenure and qualifications!!!

December 28, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  12. Rob

Condi is right on, you people are so brainwashed by the liberal media you cant even see the truth. I would vote for both Bush and Cheney again if I could.

December 28, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  13. Rob

She can only hope this will be the case. How else can she live with herself after being such a loyal follower all these years . . . . .

December 28, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  14. Frank Lee

The only thing I'll thank him for is getting the heck out of the White House January 20th.

December 28, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  15. mickd

Sounds like most of the posters here have drunk alot of the CNN koolaid. Nothing better to do than sit around bad mouthing the people that protect the freedoms you hold so dear!

December 28, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  16. Don

Thank Him??? Is that what the Iraq was doing with his shoes??

December 28, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  17. Jan

The level of denial surrounding the Bush administration is so so sad. It prevents them from seeing and acknowledging past mistakes, and thus switching to a better course of action. That's why this country is currently stuck on the wrong path.

December 28, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  18. Leo

I'd like to thank him for going away....

December 28, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  19. Lucy

Condi, in your dreams. You've really lost it. Thank him????

December 28, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  20. yes

Thank you President Bush for keeping us safe.

Certain European countries do not like us. Trust me, I have experienced it. But, they like us in Latin America.

December 28, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  21. Karen - Missouri

Rice must be dreaming!

December 28, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  22. Bud

My America attacked a country that had nothing to do with 9/11. Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rice have a lot to answer for in the future. Our country, although supposedly at war, has near no border security and Homeland Security Chief Chertoff has illegals cleaning his house. Face the truth and ,hopefully, you'll face trial in the near future for crimes against humanity, our Constitution and supporting torture. Maybe you all can vacation at Guantanamo?

December 28, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  23. Smart Dem

Never a Bush fan, but you never know..
    If things continue to sour in the Middle East, our presence in Iraq (no, we are not leaving any time soon...we are in fact establishing military bases there, and yes, Obama knows this) could, in hindsight, be the best thing we have done the past decade.
    Even if it was initiated on faulty information...
    And, I will respect anyone's viewpoint about what jerks we are in the US by anyone who is willing to give up their lifestyles, sexual and religious freedoms, their SUVS, their HDs, their daily bread and fresh water, their Constitutional rights, etc.
    Because all too frequently, that is what too many live without on the other side of our oceans, or even just South of our Borders.

As for prosecution? The Congress is DEM– What's the Delay if there is a case to make?

Grow Up.

December 28, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  24. Cheryl from MN

I disagree with her and time will tell whether or not people will thank him for what he has done. I don't think Americans will thank him. He has done more damage to this country and to its image than good. Of course she will say what she has because his bad image also reflects on her and everyone else in his administration.

December 28, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  25. SteveMan

Bush has as much chance to be thanked later on as Obama has a chance to be a great president. Don't bet your next paycheck on either, folks!

December 28, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |