December 30th, 2008

GOP to Dems: Slow down on stimulus bill

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell wants Congress to holds hearings on the stimulus package.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Top congressional Republicans cautioned Democrats not to rush through a massive stimulus package that lawmakers hope to send to President-elect Barack Obama shortly after he takes office next month.

A House Democratic leadership aide told CNN on Tuesday that Congress will likely take up a stimulus bill the second week of January.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, said the Congress must prove to taxpayers that the stimulus bill, which some economists suggest could amount to $1 trillion, "is not wasting their money."

"We should have a simple test: will the yet-unwritten, reportedly trillion-dollar spending bill really create jobs and grow the economy - or will it simply create more government spending, more bureaucrats and deeper deficits?" McConnell said in a statement Monday.

McConnell's $1 trillion figure for the stimulus bill may be an overestimate, however.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Congress • Democrats • Economy • Republicans
  1. From the decider to messiah. Oh what a feeling when you're dancing on the ceiling

Reagan, Bush, & Bush has been a disaster for this country. If it wasn't for fiscal conservative Bill Clinton, this country would have tanked 8 years ago. Go dems. The time is at hand.

December 30, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  2. Salt & Pepper

OK, so now the GOP wants to restrain the democrats on what THEY have been doing for 8 years? It seems funny that THEY spent all they could but, now that things have changed, THEY want some say in it and would not let they Demcrats have anything [if much] to say how THEY pushed things through??? What's good for THEM is also good for US Americans.

December 30, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  3. Charlie in Maine

Thanks for the advice on the economy. I think it can be filed next to George W Bush's advice on the Environment and Science.

December 30, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  4. Texas Teacher

John in Ohio... ditto! I agree completely! :)

December 30, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  5. J.P.

Oh, pack it, McConnell.

You clowns were elected to be barrier to the Democrat National Socialists... not actively support their socialist "bailouts." If you can't keep control of your house members, don't get too cozy in DC, because we'll be replacing you with new members who WILL stand up to the National Socialists.

The solution to the current economic problem has a name, and it's called failure... let bad banks, bad businesses and yes, even bad home buyers FAIL. It creates buying opportunties for those of us who DIDN'T use our overpriced mini-mansions as ATMs to finance conspicuous consumption.

December 30, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  6. Texas Teacher

*LOL* whoa... we are getting fiesty on here... this is a HOT topic! And well it should be!

December 30, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  7. Vicki5

GOP – Stop harming the American people. Please just stop already. OMG are you all insane??

December 30, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  8. I'm a republican

Now lets slow down this silly little stimulus package. I happen to be a CEO with $700,000 in dividend stocks. I make roughly 1.4million quarterly from company royalties and each year i make a $100,000 bonus per 20k people that I lay off.

Now i'm struggling on purchasing my 8th home which will be valued close to 4.8million. Not to mention keeping up on the insurance and maintenance of my 12 luxury cars yacht, and private jet.

I'm not to keen on seeing a stimulus bill that doesn't have any kickbacks for rich guys like me struggling to keep my large multi-national corporation afloat while planning to move more productions out of the US

December 30, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  9. Texas Teacher

Danny in Chicago December 30th, 2008 4:16 pm ET

SHUT UP REPUBLICANS!!!

NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK ANYMORE!

*LOL* Yeah! You lost, Repubs... suck it up.... you lost.... get over it.... time for the People to have a break instead of FAT CAT REPUBS!

Jump on the wagon or get run over at the gate! We, the People, are alive and well.... and we voted for change... and THAT Barack Obama!

December 30, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  10. Don

Yeah like you repugs had any good ideas. You sicken the whole country.

December 30, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  11. Patrick

"The T" the correct phrase is would be "go to hell" you're ignorant.

Government spending doesn't create jobs, it takes tax payers money and deicdes where to spend it. Everyone agrees that something must be done to the economy. Why not cut taxes and let people spend it to how they see fit?

December 30, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  12. J.P.

"Some people regard private enterprise as a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look on it as a cow they can milk. Not enough people see it as a healthy horse, pulling a sturdy wagon."
    Winston Churchill

December 30, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  13. Proud American

Can Republicans be sent to prison for just being stupid?

December 30, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  14. chris

hmm, I still would like to know what banks got that 2 trillion dollars (outside the 750 Billion bailout). I mean 2 trillion and no accounting of it at all even though the freedom of information act says they are supposed to provide the information. If we can "let the banks have 2 trillion" without so much as a accounting of where the money went, I see no problem with this stimulus package for America. At least we will know where the money went.

December 30, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  15. ran

It is such a shame that McConnell got reelected. The republicans will do all they can to stop Obama and the Democrats form doing what is best for the people of this country and not for the special interest groups that the republicans are so fond of helping out regardless of how much it may hurt the people. I only hope that the media and Obama as well as Democrats point out those who try to stop our going forward to do what is best for us all. It is such a shame that the Democrats did not get a 60 majority.

December 30, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  16. Jim B.

I'm a single parent with a two kids in college and I make not much over $85k. If I read this stimulus bill, it really doesn't do much for me, if anything, at all. I don't think I'll even see it. I may made a little more than most, but, I'm hurting too, and could use some real help. How about put some limits on how business past everything to the little guy and still want to use taxpayer's money because they have a high overhead and make dumb decisions. Let them all go under and if they want the house, they can come and get it.

December 30, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  17. Lyndon from CA

Can you say Fillibuster?

December 30, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  18. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Like the GOP has any kind of record to stand on concerning the economy?

IT IS TO LAUGH...

December 30, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  19. John G

An idea occurs to me

Step 1-Suspend the salaries of the legislative and executive branches immediately until such a time as America is showing economic improvement.

Step 2-Take the $1trillion and use it to repair roads and bridges and dams and such-hire work crews from the local unemployment offices and use local contractors (small businesses) to do the work.

Step 3-Stop rewarding failure with bailouts. The bank bailout rewarded failure. The Auto bailout is rewarding failure and any Housing bailout that doesn't require people to start paying their own bills will be rewarding failure. How about we use bailout money to give people a tax break for paying their bills on time every time in a given tax year?

Oh and for the people who are blaming the Republican party...did you know that there has been a Democratic majority in Congress for quite some time now and they have done absolutely NOTHING to repair the economic troubles that have been plaguing us?

December 30, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  20. Pam

The party that created the largest defecit in the nation's history is suddenly concerned about fiscal responsibility? Give me a break.

December 30, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  21. John G

To Pat: I'm with you. Let's go full on welfare state. I'm sick and tired of working for the things I have and feeling a sense of pride in my accomplishments.

December 30, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  22. Apples for sale

He needs to go collect his payoff from the foreign car makers in his state.The South lost again Mitch,get used to it.Go fly you stars and bars hillbilly.

December 30, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  23. Wayne

When I read all the comments I can see why Congress has problems getting things done. They yell and attack each other just like all of you do. It is so counter-productive.
    Why not just listen to and consider what has been suggested? I am usually supportive of the left way of thinking but I think the GOP is making a good suggestion; at least one worthy of consideration. The last bailout package was rushed and mistakes were made. Let's not do that again. Our government needs to act..., not react.

December 30, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  24. Darth Vadik, CA

If there is one thing I've learned in the past two years, although Democrats were in a majority, Republicans have blocked any sensible bill. Remember those days when Republicans used to say "up and down vote", so so long ago, right?

Democrats cannot fix the Republican problem, Republicans have to fix their own party. I doubt it will happen, that is why its their bane. The Republican party will not survive as it is within the next 20 years. Times change and if you don't change with times, you're as good as extinct. (Dinosaurs were the top honchos in their day too, but they are long extinct)

December 30, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  25. LM75

Two words for the GOP. Shut up!

December 30, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |