December 30th, 2008

Obama family to move to DC this weekend, say aides

The Obamas are moving early in part so daughters Malia and Sasha, above, can start school on time.

(CNN) - The Obama family is planning to move to Washington this weekend, say two transition officials. “They will stay at a Washington hotel through the 15th and then they will move into the Blair House,” said the first official.

President-elect Barack Obama and wife Michelle are coming to DC early in part to be there for the beginning of school for daughters Malia and Sasha, but will not specify which day that will be.

The officials also note that the President-elect will be in Washington to “continue work on an economic recovery plan.” Democratic officials have previously said they’re expecting the Obama team to get the economic recovery plan to the Hill the first week of January.

1. sad

Bush is still using the Blair house for his frat parties until the 15th

December 30, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  2. Joyce

Best wishes, President-Elect Obama, in guiding the nation out of its problems. I wish you, your family, and staff well.

December 30, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  3. Texas Teacher

Just in the nic of time! :) Prayers for the First Family.. and the VP family....

December 30, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  4. Texas Teacher

In that picture... look at how much Malia looks like her daddy... as everyone used to say when my children were born... you sure can tell who the daddy is.... :) Little Sasha looks so much like her mom... What a lovely family.... it will be a pleasure to watch them grow...

December 30, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  5. rachel

All that moving has got to suck.

December 30, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  6. BB

Here come the right wing snarky remarks.

December 30, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  7. Ms. G

God bless the Obama family!!! My prayers always be with you. Happy New Year!!

December 30, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  8. A Woman In California For Obama

I hope the girls will enjoy their new school. Although I find the girls to be adorable, I hope Michelle spends more time on their hair styles.

December 30, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  9. deeh

Great news.

December 30, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  10. Anonymous

it's very un-presidential for our new commander-in-chief to be put on a hotel list, while other unimportant people are occupying the Blair House, it should become a law against what Bush is backhandling to President-elect Obama

December 30, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  11. Jon

Well, there goes the neighborhood.

December 30, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  12. S Callahan

And bring a Rabbi to bless the front and back of your new home.
    I will continue to keep you, President elect Obama, and your family in my prayers. Happy Moving!

December 30, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  13. Cindy

See? The availability of the Blair House is no biggie. Other arangements can always be made as long as circumstances are known ahead of time.

December 30, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  14. Show Stopper

Such an great president elect I wonder what comments are going to come about his move to Washington something stupid I'm sure from the Obama haters.I sure wish it was Palin going back to lala land with all her hate inticing and her stupid winking and flirting for those stupid republicans that fell for thak lunitic.She will go down as the worst mistake John McCain made choosing her as a running mate and no matter how much he praises her he knows it too about the new grandma airhead

December 30, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  15. Juan Grain

Yea, I don't blame you Chicago is on fire!

December 30, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  16. Darren D. Johnson

Con-g to the Obama Family! God and my family will be with you, 2009-2016!

December 30, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  17. Messiah watch

And no doubt he will ride into town in his own private rail car like Vladimer Lenin.

After that extravagant vacation, if he say anything about raising taxes on anyone, spreading the wealth, or shared sacrifices, I will vomit in the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue.

December 30, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  18. Proud American

It's about time, someone with a brain shows up in Washington. I've waited my entire life almost 40 years for someone like Obama to lead this nation. God Bless America and the Obama's.

December 30, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  19. Proud American

I believe it's safe to say that this guy is needed in Washington now. When was the President Elect required in Washington a full 3 weeks prior to taken office? Let's all thank God he available and willing.

December 30, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  20. Cynthia - Arkansas

Obama can't get there fast enough! He and his administration really have their work cut out for them. The mess that Bush has left is really bad! God speed Barack!

December 30, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  21. cLk

the sooner the better!!

December 30, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  22. Aurora LeBrun

How can the Bush administration deny the President-elect and his family the early use of Blair House? Original stories said the house was full, but I cannot imagine of any guest that would trump the new first family. I was not an Obama supporter, but I applaud their decision to move earlyto allow a smooth transition for their daughters, and I deplore yet one more mean-spirited and ill-thought action by the Bush administration.

December 30, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  23. No Hillary = No Obama

Time to put away the bathing suits, the shaved ice, the golf clubs, the strolls, the morning work outs at the gym, the vaction compound and get to work. Work? Oh wait, that's what he has Hillary Clinton for – Clinton will be Obama's work horse – Hamas & Israel – a chronic Hatfields and McCoy – Clinton, who has the substance and experience will have to tackle what Obama's brain can't fix.

December 30, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  24. I see u2

How nice it is to have a young family move into the white house... No more drunken teens(Bush girls) or unwed pregnant teens( Palin girl) and they all are Republican-moral majority right-right?

December 30, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  25. larry

At least we now have a president (elect) that is real leader, and not just a lap dog for special interests and the super rich

December 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |