December 30th, 2008

Returned Kennedy donation explained

Kennedy donated to both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.
Kennedy donated to both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Caroline Kennedy’s $2,300 donation to Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign was not returned because of her decision to endorse Barack Obama in the Democratic primary, a Clinton aide told CNN — it was sent back because the New York senator’s loss meant she would not be able to keep funds that had been contributed for her general election campaign.

The return was first reported Monday by the New York Post’s Page Six. Information available on Opensecrets.org confirms that a donation to Clinton from Kennedy was returned in August of this year, but does not provide any reason that the $2,300 was returned. Information available from the Web site of the Federal Election Commission shows that Kennedy donated the legal maximum of $4,600 to Clinton in June 2007 in two separate donations of $2,300 each.

Individual donors are limited to $2,300 to support a candidate’s primary run, and $2,300 to support a general election run for the White House.

A spokesman and adviser to Sen. Clinton informed CNN that Kennedy was one of approximately 8,000 donors who all had their contributions for Clinton’s general election bid returned on the same day four months ago.

Filed under: Caroline Kennedy • FEC • Hillary Clinton
  1. Mike O'Brien

If I hear Caroline Kennedy say.., ("you know').., one more time. Maybe, the Governor of the great state of New York should think about another candidate.., 'you know'.. Mike in Montana

December 30, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  2. Laverne

who cares!

December 30, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  3. Retired Army in San Antonio

OK........so what's the issue????

December 30, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  4. Boston Irish

WOW, $2,300.00 to Senator Clinton!! HMMMM wonder how much she promised Obama if he would pick Hillary Clinton for SOS because she "wanted the job just so, so bad". I'm sure she asked Uncle Teddy to "get me that job" and old Uncle Teddy will do his best. Anything for Sweet Caroline, you know?

December 30, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  5. rachel

Ya know why did kennedy even contribute to Hillary if she planned on backing ya know Barack it sounds kind of fishy yah know?

December 30, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  6. George

I don't know Caroline, why don't you just tell us. Thanks.

December 30, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  7. Jan Illinois

Making a mountain out of a mole hill here. Question? Why would you give money to someone your not supporting? Answer. It's called covering your own -. I don't like it it's dishonest and shows a lack of character.

December 30, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  8. eStreet4ever

All conspiracy fans please don their tin foil hats. It is not uncommon for people with lots of money to support more than one candidate in their party–and occasionally to cross party lines. You know.

December 30, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  9. Retired Army in San Antonio

rachel December 30th, 2008 4:05 pm ET

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I contributed to Clinton and Obama.

What's you point???????

December 30, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  10. Dan, TX

Like many Obama supporters, after Clinton withdrew from the race and endorsed Obama, I donated to the Clinton campaign because Obama asked us to help pay Clinton's campaign debts. Caroline did too. Only a very strange person could find something negative about this.

Practical, common sense, progressive conservative. That's me. That's Obama. That's why I supported him.

December 30, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  11. setys

I don't see anything wrong with Ms. Caroline Kennedy donating to both candidates. They are all members of Democratic party. It shows the good nature of Ms. Kennedy.

All you always fishing for negative things to say about Ms. Kennedy, get a life. I respect her greatly and she is qualify to be the next New York senator.

God Bless Ms. Kennedy.

December 30, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  12. Richard Rohde

Never know hill or Bill to return any money, you know, are you sure this story is true, you know.

December 30, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  13. Dave in Atlanta

Uh Rachel? A lot of people give money to both candidates in an election. Especially wealthier people. There are a lot of people that donated money to both Obama and McCain.

December 30, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  14. Proud American

And she's still 13 million in debt. Wow is this lady bitter..Wow Rachel your so smart you scare me. Your comment was so intelligent, has anyone every approched you about running for public office? A Idiot name is added to all ballots once a year and if it's ok with you I would like to submit your name. God Bless You Honey

December 30, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  15. Richard Rohde

How come Proud American call everybody and idiot? Just can't have an intelligent discussion without insulting anyone?

December 30, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  16. Pat

Proud American December 30th, 2008 4:34 pm ET
    __________________

What is your problem, buddy? Get up each morning itching to insult everyone? I don't for the life of me see what you have to be proud of - certainly not yourself - get a life, already!

December 30, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  17. Linda from Prescott AZ

Why must folks continually make mountains out of mole hills. I agree with Laverne.....who cares!

December 30, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  18. Texas Teacher

Well, there you go.... transparency is simply not enough for some people.... unless her name is Sarah Palin! *LOL*

That "you know" and "And"... is just a common speaking flaw for those who think of what they say as they say it.... it is about deliberation... they think things out very carefully even as they speak... *shrug* not ignorance. It can become annoying, but once you understand what is behind, it is a little less annoying.

Now I will bet money that you never got tired of hearing Palin "you betcha"... and go all over the place with little meaning in the same sentence.. I never heard a person who could skirt a subject so easily and fool so many people!

Boogles the mind! :)

December 30, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  19. ANA G. LOS ANGELES. CA

Why was she donating to clinton when she was supporting Obama. I dont like this lady and her sence of entitlement NY needs to give her the boot.

December 30, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  20. ANA G. LOS ANGELES. CA

I think rachel was making fun of kennedys "you know"

December 30, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  21. Proud American

Richard Rohde put your helmet on and go lay down. Parents of Idiots should be forced to keep a closer eye on them. Good Lord.

December 30, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  22. Li Li

Isn't this something! Caroline Kennedy who is rich is getting her money back but what about all the lttle donors who believed in her and give all they could afford to support her? I think the main point is overlooked here. The wealthiest people who donated should be the last people to get their money back. If I had donated to her campaign, I would be furrious. After all I actuallly worked for my money.

December 30, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  23. Don

you know....you know...you know....

December 30, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  24. happy new year

she supported the democratic party.

December 30, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  25. Beah

Why do Americans make fun of their fellow Americans who work hard trying to make a difference in this country? I bet people who talk trash are the once who doesn't do a thing in their community! Most of the time these people are bitter because they are jealous and unhappy about their lives.

December 30, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |