December 31st, 2008

Clintons to ring in the New Year in Times Square

2008 didn’t go quite as planned for either Clinton.
2008 didn’t go quite as planned for either Clinton.

(CNN) – Bill and Hillary Clinton will celebrate the end of the year in the heart of a city just as happy as they are to see the tail end of 2008, joining New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg to watch the crystal ball drop in Times Square tonight.

The former president and the secretary of state-designate share more with the mayor than an adopted hometown: former Clinton communications director Howard Wolfson has signed on to advise Bloomberg during his re-election bid.

Neither Clinton has ever endorsed Bloomberg, who was often a Wolfson target during past election cycles.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. gary of spokane

So what's the big deal, would rather see a celebrity figure than someone in politics, especially the clintons...BIG DEAL.....most are probably tired of hearing about this old couple.....

December 31, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  2. AJ

so the clintons are dropping a deuce in times square – now that newsworthy!

December 31, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  3. ABG

Happy to hear Bill and Hillary Clinton will be dropping the ball in Times Square.

If it were not for the Clintons, politics would be dull.

Go Bill & Hillary! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

December 31, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  4. Salt & Pepper

I like the Clintons. Could this be a sign of "out-with-the-old, in-with-the-new?" I'm also glad Obama has won and I look forward to some big changes in our government. Good luck with that and a very Happy New Year to all!
    :) PEACE...

December 31, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  5. Rob Stumpf

Yeah, Bill Clinton was a great President. Sure he was. He was the only Democratic President that was ever impeached. That's terrific. But he only committed perjury! That's not a "big" crime! ha ha. If you commit perjury about "sex", it's not a crime at all!

And Hillary? I'm happy that she was able to dodge those bullets in Bosnia long enough to have Obama kick her butt. No one clenches his or her jaw tighter when they lose. I hope she's a complete failure as Secretary of State, just for the pleasure of seing her jaw clench.

December 31, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  6. Bea McLain

Go Hil and Bill!! The people are still behind you!! Have a safe and Happy New Year!!

December 31, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  7. Rob Stumpf

Yes, I think religion is stupid. And yes I think people who believe in the bible are idiots.>

Have you ever actually read the Bible? If you have (which I doubt) is it really your opinion that there is nothing of value in it?

Seriously?

December 31, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  8. Rob Stumpf

They WILL NOT WIN THE WHITE HOUSE TIL 2020, period….<<<

Using all caps doesn't make hare brianed predictions any more important.

Experienced political watchers know it is dangerous to predict 6 months in advance....let alone 12 years. 12 years! Right, Larry. Sure. As if anyone could actually know in 1996 what would be happening in politics now!

December 31, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  9. Franky

Yep, that's one crazy powerful couple right there...

December 31, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  10. Franky

@Larry

Whoa, slow down Larry!! Let's not turned into the Yanks now...calm, and patience is a virtue...for real, is says right here on this paper I got, LOL!!

December 31, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  11. t

Ring my bell. More power to the Clintons
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

December 31, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  12. JT from Missouri

I cannot wait until 2009. A lot of things that should not have happened, happened. Personally, Bush is just average, but politically he could have been a lot better. I know that Obama will do his job as president best when he is sworn in on day one. What better way to start off the year with the last president that left us with a surplus to drop the ball. Divided we fall, United we stand.

December 31, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  13. Jan Illinois

Just a matter of time before we get a woman as president and the one who it should be is Hillary, smart and tough. Go girl!!!

December 31, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  14. Misty in MO

Bill will have his pick of young chicks to flirt with on New Years Eve this year..LOL ...How much lying and cheating does this man have to do before people see him for the bum he is. and Hillary isnt any better. Spends the whole campain slamin' Obama and then kisses up so she can be a Washington big shot again, Bill the same. what a joke they both are. wonder what the next scandle will be to embarras the United States.

December 31, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  15. Dave from Canada

I used to be an atheist but I gave it up. No holidays

December 31, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  16. Denise

All I have to say is Bill needs to die his hair. He looks old as heck.

December 31, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  17. Delegate for Hillary from California

This is Awesome!!!
    What an amazing year 2008 was, I had the privilage to work on Hillary and Blls campaigns and to have been able to marry to my husband of 9 years this year and we just got the keys to our first home today!!!

The Clinton's have made a huge impact in many people lifes and even do you may not agree with them in many issues, the ones they have appreciate it and thank them for everything they have done.

God Bless you and your family and Happy New Year!

Change is coming...

Robert in California

DEFENT EQUALITY – LOVE UNITES

December 31, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  18. MIKE J

HILLARY 2016...THE CLINTON NEVER QUIT!...YOU GOTTA LOVE THEM

December 31, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  19. Perusing-Through

HILLARY RISES FROM THE ASHES OF HER HUSBANDS IMPEACHMENT FIASCO . . . . .

I confess girlfriend (Hillary), when I first heard you were running for POTUS, I thought you had too much baggage. But when you fought for those 18-million votes, my heart and my views CHANGED.

Now you are U.S. Secretary of State and the most loved woman in the nation. You gave a lot of women hope and a lot of girls dreams & aspirations.

YOU GO GIRL!!!

December 31, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  20. Marie

I see that Obama supporters are here spewing their usual hate for the Clintons, I guess that's their warped idea of hope an change

December 31, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  21. Felonious Monk

Larry in Houston-
    Whatever happened to FDR and Eleanor?
    Whatever happened to Woodrow Wilson and Edith Bolling Galt?
    Whatever happened to Carter and Rosalynn?

These are truly insprirational stories not involving power, money, and greed.

December 31, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  22. Carolyn White

Bill and Hillary are he Best you are going to get, too bad, you were to Dumb to realize it, but you will face Reality come January 20th, when an ILLEGAL ALIEN TAKE OVER THIS COUNTRY, NO NEED TO CRY OVER SPILL MILK, YOU DID IT TO YOURSELVES, ONCE A SOCIALIST ALWAYS A SOCIALIST, AMERICA YOU HAVE BEEN DUPED BY A SNAKE OIL ILLEGAL ALIEN, YOU BLEW IT AND WILL SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCE. GO BLAGOJEVICH, YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT IS DIRTY, PULL OUT ALL THE STOPS AND THEN NAME NAMES, STARTING WITH THE FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE, THEN GO ON TO THE HOSPITAL'S LARGE RAISES FOR EMPLOYEES WHO CAN TURN FAVORS BECAUSE OF SPOUSES IN SENATE POSITION, RATHER THAN WORK FOR A DECENT RAISE. NEED I GO ANY FURTHER? HILLARY AND BILL, YOU WILL BE REMEMBERED FOR ALL THE GOOD YOU DID FOR THIS COUNTRY. AGAIN, YOU ARE AS GOOD AS IT GETS.

December 31, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  23. Proud American

Happy New Year Madam Sec. I srichard rohdeee this Idiot is at it again. This should be your year Richard, I hear it's the year of the Idiot.
    Happy New Year

December 31, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  24. Carrie

I am so pleased the Clintons will have the honor of ringing in the new year in this manner. I have never understood the hatred some folks have for them. They are both intelligent people and they have given to their country most of their lives. And for all the snide comments they are still together and have each other's back which is more than lot of folks can say about their marriage. I'm pleased Hillary will be Secretary of State and wish them both the best.

December 31, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  25. Alvaro Aguirre

I'm so glad designated SOS Hillary Clinton is set to ring in Times Square, I was there a couple of years ago and the party was absolutely awesome. SOS Hillary Clinton has my lifetime support and I can't wait to see her running in 2016!

Hillary Clinton inspired me to participate in this presidential year. You are my hero!

December 31, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |