December 31st, 2008

Obama's Hawaiian Christmas to be followed by quiet island New Year

The Obama family (above: the president-elect with daughters Malia and Sasha) will have a quiet New Year’s celebration as their vacation draws to a close.

(CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama will ring in the New Year quietly at the rental home in Hawaii, according to transition spokesman Ben LaBolt. “The Obama family is staying in Kailua, celebrating with friends,” LaBolt said, referring to he part of the island of Oahu where the family has been staying for nearly two weeks.

The Obamas are planning to move into a DC hotel this weekend.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Canadian Watching

Happy New Year to PE Obama and his family. May 2009 keep you safe, and may it bring a renewed hope to all of us, everywhere for peace and harmony.

December 31, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  2. carol

I wish the Obama family a very Happy New Year and looking forward to having them as our new First Family on Jan 20th

December 31, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  3. chuck

HE LOVES HIS DAUGHTERS AND FAMILY.

December 31, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  4. David Duke

Even I think they're cute.

December 31, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  5. proudliberal-independent

not even gonna get drunk? probably your last chance in a long time. christians and bible-thumpers dont like presidents who drink.

December 31, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  6. A Woman In California For Obama

If I didn't know better, I would think CNN is deliberately leaving out Michelle. Those children DO have a mother you know? It would be great to see them ALL together. She is there as well and did bring them into the world. It's great their father is there but their mother is a big part of their lives and should be pictured too.

Happy New Year EVERYONE. Democrats and republicans.

December 31, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  7. heartlight3

Obviously Ed Henry has never spent a New Years celebration on Oahu. Due to the Chinese influence, New Years is celebrated by millions of firecrackers being set off at midnight. There is nothing quiet about a New Years celebration on Oahu. The whole island roars.

December 31, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  8. katiec

I wish the Obama family a Happy, Healthy New Year and hope they were able to get some rest over the holidays. And that t his was
    accomplished regardless of the constant hounding by the press.
    Barack Obama has a hard, stress filled road ahead of him and
    deserved all the relaxation he could get. Jan 20th can't come soon
    enough.

December 31, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  9. Newport News, VA

President Obama and the fam might as well wait out in Oahu. The accomadations there are far better than in D.C. By the way, who wants to stay in that beat up house acroos the street from the White House?

December 31, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  10. Messiah in Paradise

Maybe they should just stay there forever–would anyone notice?

December 31, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  11. VAisforLovers

Happy New Year to the Obamas, Bidens, Bushs, and Cheneys – and everyone else in blog-world.

December 31, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  12. Erphan from LA

mhm... haha lets let him enjoy the last few days before January 20th!

December 31, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  13. Dan, TX

Happy New Year Barack!

December 31, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  14. jaye

This family deserves a nice break – Obama has campaigned for 2 years, and when he takes office he will be so busy it will be pitiful.
    Enjoy your time and enjoy your family!
    Godspeed to the Obama family.

December 31, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  15. A Woman In California For Obama

To Cam, Atlanta and M. Ann D. regarding the Obama girls hair:

First of all, I am a black woman and I'm really proud of that. No, I do not have straight hair (if that really matters to you). Before the two of YOU try to put me down and take my comment completely out of context PLEASE educate yourselves first. LEARN TO SPELL. I am not criticizing the girls in any way or Michelle. She is an incredible woman/mother and has worked very had to get where she is. As I said before they are adorable but I AM ENTITLED TO MY OPINION. My point was they will be in the public eye a lot now and that's that. I am sorry if my comment offended the two of YOU.

Now maybe YOU can calm down.

December 31, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  16. NEL E BELL

ALL THE CURTAINS ON THE WINDOW PICTURES AND STORIES ARE GETTING LAME NOW. IF THINGS ARE SO BAD WHY IS HE IN SUSPENDED ANIMATION IN SURF CITY. HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS ARE GOING UNACCOUNTED FOR JUST LIKE IRAQ ITS A MONEY FLUSH AND ITS COMMING OUT OF OUR'S AND OUR CHILDRENS POCKETS AND THIS DUDE IS WHAT CHILL IN, IN THE SUN. JUST REMEMBER O BRILLIANT ONE, 12:01:01 1/20/09 YOU GET THE FAME OR THE BLAME, AND COLOR OR ETHNIC BACKGROUND ISN'T GOING TO CUT IT ANYMORE. GOOD LUCK BEST WISHES AND GET TO WORK!!!!!

December 31, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  17. AnaB

Happy New Year to everyone.

We may not all see eye-to-eye, but like it or not we are all in this (world) together so everyone have a great one and stay safe.

December 31, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  18. Former Obama Voter

I don't really care about that. What could work out nice for everybody, is if he stayed over there in Hawaii and let someone more qualified take over the job of Presidency. That way, he and his family could live out their lives in a tropical paradise, and our economy can be turned around and things set right. Everyone wins!

December 31, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  19. Sherman in Atlanta

@Mark in bama.I bet he plays golf better than you play pocket pool jerk.lmao.

December 31, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  20. Larry in Houston

Happy New Year to You & Your Family, Mr. Obama......I think you're going to do well as can be expected....(especially with what Bush left you) I voted for you.....originally was for Hillary, because of the way the world is today, you need experience, but, since you've surrounded yourself with all of those Generals / Lieutenants / you don't have anything to worry about....... If it were me, I would do the same thing as your doing........Have all of my Generals & Lieutenants and everyone on my committees come to a concensus, before coming to a decision......So, that being said.....I think you will be a fine President of the U.S. of A.

Larry C.
    Houston, Texas

December 31, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  21. Kevin B

In the upcoming year I pray that Americans of all political strips will pull together and rebuild this once great nation.

Enough of the inane and petty back biting bickering done in the name of liberals and conservatives.

We can no longer afford to be our own worst enemy. By the continued political bitterness we are doing the terrorist and nations that would do us harm bidding for them, while diminshing our very spirits

We are not a blue or red America.

We are the United States of America

Welcome 2009 and beyond !!

December 31, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  22. Jonathan Buchanan

To the Obama Family:

Have a Blessed Happy New Year!! Looking forward to January 20, 2009 when you will become The First Family of the USA!!!

December 31, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  23. richard rohde

Was almost tempted to say something nice about PEBO, but then I got to the bottom where the wackos took over again.

December 31, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  24. eunice c

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE INCLUDING THE PRESIDENT ELECT OBAMA AND HIS FAMILY

December 31, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  25. Texas Teacher

Former Obama supporter... who are you kidding... you have been a full time Republican forever... why do people believe that their nonsense comment will be more palettible if they pretend to be from the other party! *LOL*

You guys can hardly wait to try to lynch Obama on the White House lawn.... hoods and all!

Get over it you lost.... and 75% of the rest of us are happy to have him.... and excited... no elated to see the END of Bush/Cheney... me among them! :)

December 31, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |