January 1st, 2009

Kennedy clears political hurdle

A powerful New York Democrat now says he will support Kennedy if she is named Senator.

(CNN) – Caroline Kennedy appears to have cleared a big hurdle in her quest to replace outgoing New York Sen. Hillary Clinton.

New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, a powerful Democrat who has questioned whether Kennedy is the best choice to fill the likely vacant seat, said Wednesday he will support Kennedy should she ultimately be appointed to the post.

"I have determined there's a good possibility she will be the appointee of the governor," Silver told the New York Post. "If she is the appointee of the governor, I will certainly be supportive of her. I will work for her and will work strenuously for her election."

Silver's comments differ markedly from his statements last week, when he suggested Kennedy is too closely allied with Michael Bloomberg, the Republican-turned-Independent New York City Mayor.

"If I were the governor, I would look and question whether this is the appointment I would want to make: whether her first obligation might be to the mayor of the City of New York, rather than to the governor who would be appointing her," Silver told an Albany radio station then.

Related: Kennedy says she's best for the job

In the interview with the Post, Silver acknowledged he is now more favorable of Kennedy than he was last week, and said she will likely help the governor get elected to a full term in 2010 if she is on the ballot herself.

"The governor, I think, wants to run [in 2010] with a strong candidate, and I'm sure…having a well-known woman on the ticket will be helpful," he said.

Paterson has the sole responsibility of picking Clinton's replacement. His pick would serve for two years before running in a special election in 2010. If the candidate won that contest, he or she would have to run again in 2012, when Clinton's term ends.

Related: Kennedy's public campaign may box in Paterson

Filed under: Caroline Kennedy
  1. LEO ROBERTSON

I SUMBMITTED A COMMENT AND RECEIVED A MESSAGE THAT IT WAS A DUPLICATE, THAT I HAD ALREADY SAID WHAT WAS IN MY MESSAGE.

I HAD NOT SUBMITTED A COMMENT.

ARE ONLY NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT THE KENNEDY'S DESIRED?

January 1, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  2. LEO ROBERTSON

I HAD NOT SUBMITTED A COMMENT.

ARE ONLY NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT THE KENNEDY'S DESIRED?

WHAT BULL SAUCE!

January 1, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  3. Caroline Ya Know

The damage is already done. Everyone now knows that she's an inexperienced, inarticulate rich woman trying to get by on her family name.

January 1, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  4. Lauren

Caroline should NOt be appointed. No one should. That is my gripe about this. Whether you agree or not, Obama and Palin were both ridiculed for lack of experiance. Obama was slammed for being nothing more than a one term senator with community activist experiance. Palin for being only a governer and a mayor of a small town. Both slammed by the media and bloggers for lack of experiance.
    BUT,,,,
    Whether you like either Obama or Plain is irrelevant. They BOTh went out, campaigned, worked hard, put in effort to get elected. One did, one failed. Regardless, they both worked hard at getting elected.

Caroline has openly said, if she had to run for ELECTION, she would not seek this position. She only will take it if APPOINTED.
    This sound like blantant Kennedy entitlement thought. I am JFKs daughter, I am Kennedy, I am owed this. She is only " campaigning " to a select few in power, in all reality, she only needs to win ONE vote. Which is ridiculous.
    Why should this woman, and Burris from Illinois be entitled because one person feels they are what is best for the country, or that particular state?

Again, Caroline has said, she would not try to win and election, she only wants it if gave to her.

You can argue all you want about her being qualified or not, the simple fact is, use her own words to determine what her motive really is. Give it to me, or I will not want the job ,,,, if I have to WORK for it, or earn it the hard way.

This is exactly what is going to tear this country apart, this sense of entitlement, the simple fact of the haves and have nots of this country. The fact many people work hard, and still can not keep thier heads above water, but others feel they are above the cause, and EXPECT to be gave what they feel owed.

Caroline Kennedy is a prime example of this. I am of name, of heritage, you owe me this job, but I will not make an honest effort to EARN it.

January 1, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  5. bernie from maryland

There is a HUGE difference between being qualified enough to be elected to office and be qualified enough to be appointed to office.

Clinton, Palin, and Obama were all elected to office.

Some one who has not held any sort of elected office, or been a major player in any organization , public or private, certainly has the right to run for elected office. In that case, they get out on the campaign trail and experience the rough and tough political struggle with debates and hard questions from constituents and the press.

Caroline Kennedy has the unmitigated nerve to think that she should be appointed even though she has done pretty much nothing that involves service to anyone outside of her immediate family. Where in the world does she get this sense of entitlement? She acts like she is doing us a favor by serving us.

Certainly there are plenty of New Yorkers who have already proven themselves far more worthy of this job that Ms. Schlossberg.

January 1, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  6. Bev

Are you folks angry that Caroline is a Kennedy, or are you still upset that Obama won, or both? Have you read her books? She is an intelligent individual who champions the rights of others. What do you folks want, anyway? The people in New York will have their chance in 2010 to elect her, if they so choose. She will have a very short time to prove herself. Give it a rest.

January 1, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  7. Jan Illinois

Tell us what had to happen to make a grown man who is supposed to be a smart person change his mind over night about her? Did anybody bother to ask that? As if we did not know what happened? Bought and paid for!! What does that make of him? Just like the rest. I'm not against Caroline, just against the way this is done. Under-handed.

January 1, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  8. John Illinois

Anyone who thinks she will not be appointed is a fool. Jeez, with her and that ultra liberal idiot Teddy paying off everyone in sight, it would take an intervention from GOD not to happen.

January 1, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  9. bsmith171

sheldon silver also supports the idea that child rapists should NOT be held accountable.

what is carloine kennedy's IQ? about 78!
    she has the greatest kennedy DNA. being rather dumb!

sheldon silver supports child rape!
    he is the lawyers representative.

January 1, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  10. what the?

Hey – "Stop jerking us around"....your comments do not make any sense. Ted Kennedy supported Obama who got elected. How did that help to get his niece into Hillary's senate seat? the seat is only open because Obama chose Clinton for Sec. of State. If that did not happen, then the senate seat would not have opened. Won't it have been better and more straight forward for Ted Kennedy to support Hillary for president to get her Senate seat open? Sometimes there are no need for conspiracy theories.

And "bob", Harry Reid is trying to block the Illinios appointment because of the Gov. of Illinios insisted on appointing someone not because of the apointee. I think the Dems would love to have Burris.

January 1, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  11. Michael J,

A sad day for the state of New York when family dynasty trumps actual credentials.

January 1, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  12. Katy

If Caroline Kennedy is tapped as senator, it will truly leave a bad taste in my mouth. If she is given the job as senator, it will only because of her name; she certainly hasn't earned the job. I have nothing against Caroline Kennedy personally it is just that it will not be fair for her to be chosen. She has done nothing to earn the job. Absolutely nothing.

January 1, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  13. Jon

I hope she can drive better than Teddy.

January 1, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  14. victoria

What bothers me especially is that CK indicated if she is not selected to fill the position, she will not run for it. What does that mean exactly? To me, it means, "i only want it if it's handed to me; if I have to work for it like everyone else...nevermind". What unmitigated gall. As for as her experience vs. Obama's. At least he actually ran for offic in Illinois and won, he actually ran for Senator and won, and he actually ran for the presidency and won. Neither office was handed to him on a silver platter, and therein lies all the difference.

January 1, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  15. BUSH BEGONE AND NOW 75% OF AMERICA AGREES, FINALLY!

To be fair, Caroline does not abuse the term "you know", as much as McCain used "my friends".

To be fair to both, they are verbal tics and things they do to allow them to collect their thoughts.

January 1, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  16. anon

She does not deserve the senate seat!

January 1, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  17. dora

Go get em' all Caroline!

January 1, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  18. Janet-NY

NO MORE ZERO EXPERIENCE, NO MORE YOU KNOW FOR NY SENATE SEAT.

Be quitet ! Sheldon Silver, you konw, you didn't tell, you know, why
    you support C. Kennedy, you know,who doesn't have experiences,
    you know. Sheldon's support for her doesn't make sence at all for
    residents in NY States. You DON'T know so many New Yokers got upset and disillusioned with C. Kennedy's a greedy requestment.

January 1, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  19. shay

When the media gushes over the 'elder statesman' Ted Kennedy, I still feel queasy remembering how he let a young woman die to save his own hide. I think I would feel almost as ill seeing Caroline Kennedy become a senator. She should have remained a mystery and we would not know just how unquailified she really is!

January 1, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  20. Lew Wood

Let's see do we want an honest, caring, hard working Senator with little experience and high morals or one like we have in office now – DUH! Give me a 100 like Caroline and I will change this country for the better.

January 1, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  21. Thomas Reti

She should get a real job you know, earn a real living you know and get elected you know.

January 1, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  22. Chris

She is qualified, u mongrols. It takes a lawyer and some sort of public persona qualification to be competent to be a u.s. senator. She is a lawyer, who has written on legal issues and that in itself along with her support for public education is what new york needs. This woman is super intelligent. Everyone knows that and people to to get off her back. Jealous motherfo's.

January 1, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  23. Scott H

Big mistake, Caroline has no business taking Hillary's spot, sorry just because you are related to a popular political family does NOT give you the right to be a senator. What a complete joke this is, politics as usual!! And i agree with Bridge Party, go take a car trip with Uncle Ted!!

January 1, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  24. semp

The thought of Caroline in the Senate gives me the pukes. The Senate is already full of well dressing , rich morons.

January 1, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  25. Can't Believe This

Qualifications matter!! Then they don't!! People are picking and choosing here. In looking at our government now, Qualifications mean that you are a seasoned crook, Are their any decent ones left, I sure am wondering. What is going to become of us, other countries are predicting our demise. Can this be true? Our crooked politicians have destroyed our America? It seems as if there is nothing we can do about it.

January 1, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |