January 1st, 2009

Obama to host Commander-in-Chief's ball

(CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama is set to host the Commander-in-Chief's inaugural ball, an event that honors the country's active duty and reserve military.

It's a tradition that started in 2005 by President Bush, according to the Presidential Inaugural Committee. Invited guests will include Purple Heart recipients, families of fallen heroes, and spouses of deployed military, the committee said.

The ball is set to be held at the National Building Museum on January 20.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. TeddyN

As a retired US Army soldier, I strongly disagree with you TCM. I think he will make a great Commander in Chief. It amazes me how conservatives, 99 percent of whom claim they are Christians, can show so much hate just because the candidate they demanded be elected didn't get elected. I, as a born again Christian, think those that continually show hatred should read John 15: 17-19.

January 1, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  2. lgl

Why Israel? They are the only country that doesn't hate us. Beside this country can learn a lot from Israel. Have you been there Susie? Do you know anything about what Israel is up against? crazy Palestinians . . .That's what I thought! BTW GWB is not throwing us into this disaster, That idiot did THROW US INTO THIS HELL . . .
    My husband is a techie and has been in and out of work for the last eight years, sound familiar!!!! No retirement for this couple. But you worry about billions going to Israel for guns.

January 1, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  3. Sherrol in Canada

@TCM at 3:47pm………………..

You sure are exhibiting some very strange behaviours, what's the matter dear, a wee bit bitter?

Your off beat and mostly factless rants are becoming more and more frequent and quite frankly, I'm beginning to fear for your health.

Take a few deep breaths, take your fingers off the keyboard, sit back, close your eyes and count to ten…….There, better??

January 1, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  4. lgl

TCM get real!!!!! Oh I'm sorry I forgot your a republican!!! hahahahaha, how sad, another loser! Thank goodness . . .

January 1, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  5. DAN ASCANI

tcm.....happy new year ...not!

January 1, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  6. G.R.I.T.S - Girl Raised in the South

I'm not quite sure that, if I lost my husband or father or son to this war, that I would feel like going to D.C., getting all dressed up, and going to a ball.

January 1, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  7. Ken in NC

@ TCM

You seem to be very bitter over the election of PE Obama and that is sad but I hope you will consider the fact that the election is over now and while I did not vote for him, he is going to be our President on 20 Jan of 2009.

He already has a lot on his plate and taking care of all of these problems will require help from all of us, citizens, of the United States of America.

I hope that you and others can find it in your heart to help us all fix our nation. You do not have to like him as a person but try to respect that fact that he will be our elected leader and in 4 years even if he makes our nation a better place to live you can still vote him out of office if he has not done what you wanted him to do. I do not agree with many of his ideas but he will be our leader so I will respect that and work with him to try to make our nation a better nation before he leaves office than he found it.

January 1, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  8. fred

To Proud American: You're talking about Bill Clinton right?

January 1, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |