January 1st, 2009

Obamas checking into hotel steeped in D.C. history

The Obama family will check into the historic Hay-Adams hotel in Washington this weekend.

(CNN) - The hotel that will be home to President-elect Barack Obama and his family for the next couple of weeks offers one of Washington's best views of their future home, the White House, and a past linked with political movers and shakers.

The Obamas will be moving into the Hay-Adams hotel this weekend, aides say. They're doing this in part so that the family's daughters, Sasha and Malia, can begin school when classes reconvene after winter break.

They had hoped to move into nearby Blair House, which president-elects traditionally occupy five days before moving into the White House, early. But the Bush administration said the house, which is used as a guest house for visiting dignitaries, already had events scheduled there and guests who could not be displaced.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. GuyInVA

Tell 'em Proud American! That crazy little thing called the Constitution gets in the Left's way again.

January 1, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  2. crazygirl

Yea! Bush is even informing the NEW PRESIDENT where he is allowed to stay! Can not wait till that freak is out of office! He has destroyed every one's life & still thinks he is arrogantly in control! Way to go Mr. Bush! ( Hey! I have an idea).... go ahead and let the Obama family have the White House since you're not using it to better our country anyway. Frankly– I think Bush & Cheney should Both be tried on WAR CRIMES. Costing the American taxpayer billions of dollars on lies. Taking thousands of lives to finish what his Daddy started.

January 1, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  3. Timezone

How childish is this! It is sad that he has to check into a hotel.

January 1, 2009 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  4. Chana

Who is paying the bill on the Blair House for the Bush guests during the time that the Obama family wanted to move in so that their kids could go to school? Is Bush paying or the taxpayers? If the taxpayers are paying, then Bush should have made other arrangements and displaced his guests..... I am in the 75% that just wants to "get out the Bushes"....

January 1, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  5. chuck

GEORGE BUSH AND HIS HINCHMEN NEED TO VACATE THE WHITE HOUSE AND BLAIR HOUSE NOW.THEY ARE DOING NOTHING GOOD FOR THE COUNTRY NOW AND NEVER DID.

January 1, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  6. Geri

According to protocol, Blair House has always been available to the president elect after January 15th. It's Obama's choice to stay at the hotel so his kids can start school. No special privileges for him just because his name is Obama.

January 1, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  7. Denise....Boardman, Ohio

PE Obama and his family will be just fine...they are not trying to create any waves during this time of transition...let President Bush enjoy his last few weeks in Blair House....It will take a few more weeks for President Bush to pack up his stuff and move...packing up his copy of "MY PET GOAT", a bag of pretzels and his Rumsfeld "dolls" is hard work...give the man a break....

January 1, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  8. Chris from Missouri

When talking about the Blair House the story itself says that " president-elects traditionally occupy five days before moving into the White House." President Bush has every right to schedule whomever he would like to be in the Blair House up until the 5-day traditional period. President-Elect Obama can respectfully wait his turn just like every President before him.

January 1, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  9. aware

Enjoy yourself while it lasts PEBO & Co! You will soon be hated more than Bush! It goes with the territory! :)

January 1, 2009 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  10. No Hillary = No Obama

Whoopie-do. A year from now people will be wondering how they got duped.

January 1, 2009 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  11. tired of it all

Why is this in the news again? Traditionally, the incoming President gets the Blair House on January 15th. (I may be off by a day or two.) Barak Obama is getting the same treatment as any incoming President. No more, no less.

I just wish the name calling would stop. The President of the US deserves respect. After 8 years of "he's not my President", it's time to stop. Whoever wins the election is my President. I may not agree with anything the President does, but he is the leader of the country and we all lose if any President is not successful. Dissent is one thing, but the past eight years have gone far beyond dissent. The same can be said of the misguided Clinton impeachement effort.

January 1, 2009 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  12. Godluvr

I guess I'm being a little petty and somewhat partial, but I do think that the Bush people should have handled the situation more presidential-like and more professionally. It seems more like a final snub than a full house at the Blair House. Who could be more important in relation to staying there in that time frame than the Obamas? In fact, it would have been a great gesture, and a positive note to exit on, if he had asked the Obamas what their intentions were in relation to moving in. Courtesy goes a long way,

January 1, 2009 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  13. tired of politics

Didn't this article say that the Blair House is for the President-elect to move into "5" days before occupying the White House? That should not be until the 15th. I, for one would be majorly upset if I were bumped from my stay at the Blair House. This early move to Washington is for their convenience only. It doesn't bother me if they have to stay in a hotel. Personally, I think they should stay somewhere that we don't have to pick up the tab for their childrens sake.

January 1, 2009 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  14. John G

But Chris in Missouri, he isn't every other President. As he himself enjoys pointing out he doesn't even look like them...

He is Barack Obama and trumpets should sound, knees should bend and waters should part for his convenience. The rules simply don't apply to him.

Word on the street is that Obama can also outrun a speeding locomotive, walk on water, leap tall buildings in a single bound, heal the sick, raise the dead, make the little girls go out of their....oh wait that's Superman, Jesus and the Seventh Son...nevermind.

January 1, 2009 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  15. Farrell, Houston, Tx

FUMIGATE THE WHITE HOUSE, THE BLAIR HOUSE AND ANY OTHER HOUSE THE BUSHES HAVE LIVED IN. THE HOTEL WILL DO JUST FIND UNTIL ALL OF THE ABOVE HAVE BEEN ACCOMPLISHED.

January 1, 2009 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  16. TexAnnie *-*-*-*-*

Good God people, chill out.... and, please, engage your brain before putting your mouth in drive.
    First of all, historically the Blair House has not been available for the President Elect until Jan. 15th. Nothing different this year than from past years.
    The Obamas asked if it was available earlier so their girls could start school. They were told it would be in use, and they said okay and found a hotel instead. If the Obamas aren't upset, why should any of you posters be upset??
    Nothing is any different about this issue than for all previous Presidents/Presidents Elect since Blair House was built. This is a NON-ISSUE.
    I can understand the Obamas wanting to get situated in DC so the girls can start school, and they've resolved that situation quite well. They (the Obamas) will be paying the hotel bill– not you, not me, not the U.S. Government.
    I swear, I wonder why CNN allows some of the uninformed arrogant incendiary posts they do on here.

January 1, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  17. chuck

BARNEY AND CONDI -–THEONLY TWO BLACKS TREATED WELL BY GEOGE BUSH.

January 1, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  18. William A. Schaedler from St. Louis

Everyone who so fervently voted for this character better prepare yourselves for the eventual destruction of the United States as you know it.

January 1, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  19. Citadelgrrl05

GutInVA, where have you been these past 8 years, you have the nerve to say that it is lefties that don't use the constitution, you bush enthusist makes me utterly sick, as a militay spouse, I am utterly disgusted by this so called commander in chief and i can not wait for him to leave, after my husband had to spend six months in the desert, and be with out our 1 and 4 year old, I can not wait till Bush leaves, trust me there are so many military families that feel this way and that is why almost 50% of us voted for obama. Bush is completely WRONG in this situation, he could have gotten his favorability from 22% to at least 25% for being gracious in this situation, kids come first no matter, they should not have to stay in a hotel. He probably having all his saudi, texas, and lobbyist friends in there too woop it up, how pathetic. You know we are going to find out who stayed there instead it will definately make his rating go from 22% to 15%.

January 1, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  20. Call it down the middle

It doesn't say anything about Obama being upset about it, it just said they are staying at the historic hotel, that's all. What's the big deal. I'm sure Obama isn't losing sleep over it, also it doesn't say we (tax payers) have to pay for it. It also doesn't say Bush is being a jerk about it. If anything it seems like they are getting along pretty good. Everyone is going off over nothing. Everyone take it easy. I quote Rodney King, "why can't we all just get along?"

January 1, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  21. MikefromWV

If the Obama family is not complaining and is apparently understanding of the present situation with Blair House, then the rest of us should show some understanding. I hate Bush as much as anyone, but this is a trivial matter, not worthy of our energy and emotions. This hotel will provide them with worthy quarters to stay in until the 15th, when they will be able to move into Blair House for the next five days. I just continue to count down the days until Bush is gone for good. I just keep marking off the days on my calendar until Barack is our new President. Then Bush will retire as gracefully as is possible for him, to Texas, where, hopefully, he will no longer be able to harm our great Country.

January 1, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  22. RCLGuard

"No Hillary = No Obama" Are you kidding me? PUMA's are so 2008.

January 1, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  23. alex badme, albuquerque

Bush Rules. Hes the President and not just the elect. When O'bama gets in he can make the rules. The he'll tax teh us to kingdom come. What ever happend to above 250K. Its right back down to 150K and if you dont pay taxes they give you 2K for nothing. I am afraid we are going to go really down soon. Jan 20th is a very sad day indeed. If Obama can stay in a $6.5M house in Hawaii surely he can aford the hotel. I'm guessing the tax payer, me, not the ones making less then 150K are paying for it anyway so just stop your whining if your not paying

January 1, 2009 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  24. Marie,San Diego

Who are these "important" people currently staying in the Blair house? Are these folks more important than the next prez?

January 1, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  25. CD

If I was Obama, I would not let AF1 take Bush back to Texas. I would make him fly commercial.

January 1, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |