January 2nd, 2009

2009 political predictions: What will be the big story?

Barack Obama will take office with a big to-do list in front of him.
Barack Obama will take office with a big to-do list in front of him.

(CNN) - This past year was full of unexpected twists and turns on the campaign trail.

With a new president taking over and a host of problems awaiting him, there's no telling what will happen in 2009.

CNN's political analysts and contributors offered up some of their predictions for the upcoming year:

Full story

Filed under: Politics
  1. M J

I see most Republican are upset with Obama. I don't think I want a President who is not willing to change his plan if it warrant that change. We have had 8 years of the cowboy stance on issues and now look where we are today. So if Obama change his mind on taxes, Iraq, and solving the problem in regards to the ecenomy I do believe that decision did take great deal of thought before making a quick decisions. That is what leaders do. So Obama please if you hear me, if you see diaster ahead, simply change the play. I do not believe a President owes no political party a favor. He is there to lead the people, not just the Democrats. That is why the Republicans will have problems being elected the next 16 years. So don't get upset with Obama, because of your mistakes on representing the people. Get upset at youselves and the poor choices you guys made. I really don't understand why most of you are Republicans anyway, most of you make less than $250,000.

January 2, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  2. CanIcallyouJoe

I sincerely hope that the biggest news story for '09 is the successful prosecution of Bush/Cheney and their cronies for war crimes and treason against the people of the US.

inuk of the north @ 10:54
    "He has waffled on Iraq, the bank bailout, the big-3 bailout, the Bush tax cuts, the windfall tax, the mortgage foreclosure crisis and more. This guy plays every position and comes down squarely, on both sides of the fence."

Rarely does one get the chance to rebuke a paragraph with one word, and I take the opportunity:

Bush.

January 2, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  3. Sherrol in Canada

Paul Begala struck the nail on the head with his predictions on the GOP, they really have alot of work to do.

Contrary to what 'The Watcher' has to say, Obama has not lost the respect of his party. The man's 'reign' hasn't even begun yet.

January 2, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  4. billy-bayou

I'm afraid I have to agree with Robin, but with one exception.
    I have no intention of accepting the incoming freak as president. There are too many unanswered questions, resolve those problems, then I will take another look.

January 2, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  5. writingwithelegance

Obama was not my first choice–Clinton was. However, he earned my vote in the national election and I wish him well!

January 2, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  6. katiec

Well, we had a couple days of moderators who posted all our
    our opinions, but guess it was too much to hope for that it
    would last.

January 2, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  7. Fred

Obama leaves a legacy similar to Roosevelt, jobs returned, America's image abroad improved, and the slump was made less worse than it would have been if the current practices had been followed.

January 2, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  8. EW

The big story will be the economic meltdown and the civil unrest caused by tax increases.

January 2, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  9. just funny

why did "Proud American" say that another poster needed to learn to spell and then go about mispelling so much in his/her post?

January 2, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  10. PA Dem

I think the big story is that we are going to learn how much about the Bush administration we did not know. I believe information is going to be leaked about the level of incompetence from the top down.

January 2, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  11. Ray Fisher

I am hopeful the big story will be the emergence of the hydrogen economy to save our national economy, put millions of zero-emission hydrogen fuel cell autos on the road, the boom created by slowing oil imports, terrorists & OPEC crumbling due to lack of oil revenues, global warming reversal and green house gas levels dropping. With a hydrogen economy, it will spur a pleathura of opportunities from fueling stations to generators, forklifts, boats, planes, trains, UPSs, home energy stations, etc.... not to mention the jobs created and investment opportunites galore. I am watching the fuel cell industry preparing daily with an explosion of developments straining to break free!!!

January 2, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  12. William A. Schaedler from St. Louis

Incompetence on the part of everyone's favorite politician –the almoghty OBAMA will be the big story. Then and only then will these misguided people realize that their great prospective leader is incapable of being the head of a country. He should have tried a governorship before he leapfrogged his way to the top.

January 2, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  13. Indiana Voter

@Proud American

You say you are a "proud american" but your words say otherwise.

You look to be just another hate filled democrat who has Bush Derangement Syndrome.

You are in fact the "village idiot."

January 2, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  14. David LA

No problem is too big for the "One". He has a whole truck load of promises to deliver. I think his mouth overloaded his rear end.

January 2, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  15. Charles L. Shaw, Liverpool, NY

Bigger Wall Street losses, a record number of American Citizens hungry, a record number of American Citizens jobless, a record federal budget debt, a record number of retail failures, the return of the military draft, an ever growing increase in the loss of freedom and liberty for the American taxpayer, and an over all kinder gentler machine gun hand!

Oh and I forgot the number one reality TV show will be the "Running Man" where gladiators fight for their freedom from the Justice of the righteous, LOL
    Because doing RIGHT has no end....

January 2, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  16. Soccer Nana

The Watcher must have started his job AFTER Obama won the election. It appears he selectively chose not to WATCH the current administration. Are you planning to WATCH and make sure Cheney and Gonzales get a court date? Remember, they have been indicted, but for some reason, CNN or theh GOP aren't talking about that. Hmmm.

January 2, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  17. richard

Democrats have runed everything they touch. Now they have their hands on America.

January 2, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  18. David from NOVA

The unexpected will be the big story of 2009. Our enemies and even some of our so-called friends will act like the US has no teeth. Russia and Al Queda will act in a way we hadn't seen yet.

January 2, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  19. Anti-Obamabot

Proud American – you are a disgrace to America. I suppose you are one of the loser's who claim to be an African American

January 2, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  20. catmom

That Obama will work very hard to clean up the absolute mess left behind by George Bush and the Republican party and make some headway. That Republicans and Conservatives finally realize how bad a shape this country is in and will stop criticizing Obama and give him a fair chance to do the job he was elected to do.

For all you Obama haters, the American people have woken up. Most of us realize that what happens in 2009 and possibly beyond that is a direct resault of the policies of George Bush. You cannot blame Bush's failures on Obama. It won't work, the American people know better.

January 2, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  21. 18 Days To Go

Same people posting their negativity and doom and gloom day after day.

I for one hope that PE Obama achieves success for the sake of the country and the world. I also will be watching the Republicans to see if their actions are for the country or the next election.

January 2, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  22. Franky

"I will not blame Bush that my neighbors purchased a home out of their price range with no money down and are in the process of a "short sale"."

Do you know what's odd about that?? Everyone wants to live the the "American Dream", right? Well...what part of that is the American Dream?? Purchasing a house, right? I gotta say, forclosures should rise up and I just seen the numbers on house values drop. I gotta say, that's odd. How could houses be worth less than our well being?? Houses are our shelter, is our economy, is not supposed to be like that. Having a house drop in value is like buying a car from the three automakers. If one of them falls, then good luck with that car, it'll probably be no value. Now that's what I'm afraid off, houses that are worth less than our character...I think that's the most underrated aspect in this economy, I truly believe so.

January 2, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  23. Brenda C

The great unknown is whether there will be any turnaround. If there is, look for Democrats to take credit. If not, look for them to continue to blame the Bush legacy.

I would bet my house and everything I own that this is the political big story of the new year. Of course it will only be big news when it has to do with blaming Bush.

January 2, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  24. alvino

Griff-

You have to be the full time idiot in your village. Some towns have people take turns, but I really doubt there is anyone who could match you.

Peace and love to you in 2009.

January 2, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  25. CHANGE.COM

The investment in the country's infrastructure will boost the economic recovery; the dow jones will ticker upwards; Gitmo will close; Roland Burris will nto be seated as a US senator.

January 2, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |