January 2nd, 2009

Carville makes painful prediction for 2009

Simple math says Democrats are more likely get caught up in a scandal, Carville says.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - You know, people will insist that 2008 had 366 days. I don't believe it. I think it had 36,066 days.

It certainly felt much longer than any year that I've ever experienced. Only time will tell what's in store for us in 2009, but first I have a few predictions.

Internationally, I believe there will be a peace agreement between Israel and Syria in the next 18 months. It is something that will be a priority for the incoming Obama administration.

In domestic politics, my first prediction is one that pains me to make, but I'll make it anyway.

The Democratic Party has had a recent run of corruption and sex scandals. Mathematicians say that there are no such things as streaks and that the last event has nothing to do with the next. The only people who disagree are crapshooters and political operatives. Since I am both, I firmly believe that there are streaks and that political scandals happen in clusters.

Full story

Filed under: James Carville • Politics
  1. strong

Typical James Carville verbal pablum. He didn't even mention the disastrous economy - duh, Hello James!!?

Who cares about scandals, they will always exists just like soap operas. And peace between Syria and Israel? Come on. Forget it, James and give your head a shake.

January 2, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  2. Gallimimus

Hopefully, Mr. Carville is wrong. But, the politicians that we have been electing into office, republican and democrats , have been pretty much worthless. I have no doubt that there will be more than one scandal on both sides of the parties. It's a shame. I suppose the only people to blame is ourselves, we keep electing them into office. Gotta be a better way than the two party system.

January 2, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  3. Reality

Democrats led by the woefully incapable Obama will create all sorts of inefficient bureaucracy and leech America of all its money.

International businesses, faced with increasing costs, increasing taxes, increasing regulations, and a less productive workforce will relocate off shore.

Iran, no longer concerned with American military might with Obama in office, will finalize development of a nuclear bomb. Meanwhile, the liberal media will continue to cover up the fact that Saddam was one small step away from having a nuke. (No WMDs indeed.)

Israel, no longer able to depend on America's support because of Obama, will take measures to secure its border. Oh that's right, this is ALREADY HAPPENING.

Once Iran gets a nuke, and a treaty with Russia, World War III is not off the table. We must all pray that Israel makes sound strategic decisions over the next 4 years because every nation on the planet knows Obama doesn't have the stomach or experience to handle such a crisis.

Good pick, Obamabots, good pick.

January 2, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  4. richard rohde

Carville is a very astute political operative and I believe the majority of the points he makes are correct.

January 2, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  5. GloomBoom.com

Carville is a stooge and his prediction of peace with Syria is a joke. Syria could not survive a peace agreement with Israel anymore than Hamas could. What a joke!

January 2, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  6. Adam

You know our political system has hit rock bottom when silly pundits like Carville start putting odds on the next sex scandal.

January 2, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  7. NC=Blue in 2008

Aww, man... I thought Carville was going to make a prediction about something big. What's so painful about the Republican party being forced to make an ideological shift or bust? Isn't it about time the party learned to be tolerant? Isn't it time the party stopped relying on ignorance? Isn't it time the party stopped persuading its base to believe that they are the only ones who care about the country and everyone who thinks differently is scary. I am so tired of the Republicans and their scare tactics. They better change. Not for me, not for them, but for OUR country.......

January 2, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  8. Janey

I wish democrats would get over their "bitterness" . they should all be on cloud nine. Instead, they find all kinds of things to chew about–Obama staying at a luxury hotel for a couple weeks, A qualified AA appointed to Illinois senate, C schlossburg being appointed to the New York senate! The rest of us knew all along that money gives you an" in "with democrats. We also knew that dems play the race card big time when it suits them. As an independent, I now know I voted for the right person–John McCain–too bad the economy bombed out because of Fannie and Freddie–we would have a President-elect not steeped in one scandal after another! 2012 can't come soon enough.

January 2, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  9. THE OLD TIMER

my perdiction is.....

OBAMA WILL HAVE AN ATTEMPT MADE AGAINST HIS LIFE IN THE NEXT YEAR...

THE USA WILL BE IN A DEEP DEPRESSION OBAMA WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PULL US OUT.

THERE WILL BE A REVOLT IN POLITICS SOMETHING LIKE TERM LIMITS OR JUST THROWING OUT THE PEOPLE OUT WHO THINK THEY HAVE A LIFE TIME JOB IN WASHINGTON.

OUTER SPACE WILL MAKE ITSELF KNOWN IN THE UPCOMING YEAR.

HURRICANS WILL ONCE AGAIN DOMINATE THE WEATHER.

SOME SORT OF PLAGUE WILL BREAK OUT AND CAUSE THOUSANDS OF DEATHS.

January 2, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  10. J.P.

James, buddy, as one of the rare conservatives who really likes you and your political commentary (and prognostications), I hope your predictions come true.

To be completely honest, my party absolutely and 100 percent DESERVED to lose in 2006 and 2008. Where were the conservative candidates? We got served a meal of cold, microwaved warmed-over liberals served up under a thin layer of watery gravy claiming to be "republican." Where was the leadership? Where were the ideas? Where were the small-government conservatives? Where were the CONSERVATIVES who would have made Teddy Roosevelt proud?

GWB? John McCain? Really? Is this the best the "republicans" can do? I'll take true conservatives like Barry Goldwater or T. Roosevelt over the likes of today's so-called "republicans" any day.

When "republicans" believe they can win elections by being as liberal as the liberals... when republicans believe "liberal lite" is a winning strategy... WE DESERVE TO LOSE. Maybe a season of wandering about in the political desert will serve my party well. And if the party dies in the process... good riddance... I'd rather be a man without a party than be represented by these spineless cowards.

January 2, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  11. JD in Moraga

"Reality"? Perhaps you'd better pick a name that more accurately describes what you're portraying (which, by the way, has little to do with reality).

Let me know what kind of sauce you like – I'll send you a bottle for when you get to eat your words.

January 2, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  12. Anti-Obamabot

I work for a living therefore I must be a Republican

January 2, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  13. JWheeler

These are meaningless and useless comments. Why bother making them? Just to hear himself talk, or what?????? Stick to the facts, James.

January 2, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  14. patriot

Jeez, Reality, that all sounds so horrible. Why the hell didn't you warn us about this before the election???

January 2, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  15. GET REAL.

Of course, you could all try to be optimistic... Adpoting the "us" and "them" partisan attitudes are just making you people rave like loonies. Despite what both sides may claim, change starts at home, so despite the bad weather, you could be out helping in your community or raising your family instead of posting venom on the 'Net.

Even if I sound like a hippie-dippie liberal right now, I think I have all the evidence I need when I look at you all losing your minds. Seriously. None of you can predict the future (not even Carville), so why don't we just wait and see what happens. In the meantime, the key word here is "support," not "destruction." Worried about thenew government? The economy? Get off your butt and DO something. These people here that you're preaching to won't miss you, trust me.

(Just like they won't miss me... even if this does get posted, I'm sure it'll be lost in a sea of negativity anyway... hello? *tap tap* is this thing on?)

January 2, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  16. John

I am a Democrat, but who cares what Carville thinks. He also thought that Clinton was going to win. You can’t even understand what he is saying most of the time.

January 2, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  17. Irritated in Fl

As a democrat, I am ashamed of what my party has become. So much scandal and corruption. Some how the conmen and crooks have found a way to exploit the parties willingness to be more accepting and have used that to dominate and basically take over. I firmly believe that the likes of Pelosei, Dean, Reid, Frank and Obama have entrenched themselves into our party and made themselves a personal goldmine. It's frightening and frankly I believe if we don't rid the party of these scurges, the party is doomed. I for one am voting strickly Republican until this party has been purged of the greedy, cheating and manipulating little group that has hijacked my party for personal gain.

January 2, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  18. GET REAL.

Even if I sound like a hippie-dippie liberal right now, I think I have all the evidence I need when I look at you all losing your minds. Seriously. None of you can predict the future (not even Carville), so why don't we just wait and see what happens. In the meantime, the key word here is "support," not "destruction." Worried about the new government? The economy? Get off your butt and DO something. These people here that you're preaching to won't miss you, trust me.

January 2, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  19. jaye

James Carville is a Clintonite – he destest Obama, and it shows.
    Why CNN continues to have him as their Democratic talking head is beyond me.
    I agree that the scandals are horrible and hurt our country – and I also believe that these scandal ridden politicians should be ousted from office pronto!
    I have high hopes for 2009 – and of the Obama Presidency.
    Lets help him all we can, and stop with all the negative rubbish!

January 2, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  20. jaye

James Carville is a Clintonite – he destest Obama, and it shows.
    Why CNN continues to have him as their Democratic talking head is beyond me.
    I have high hopes for 2009 – and of the Obama Presidency.
    Lets help him all we can, and stop with all the negative rubbish!

January 2, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  21. vic

If Hillary had won James Carville would be on cloud 9 with nothing but positive things to say.
    I wish CNN would find a more Pro-Obama talking head.

January 2, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  22. jaye

James Carville is a Clintonite – he destest Obama, and it shows.
    Why CNN continues to have him as their Democratic talking head is beyond me.
    I have high hopes for 2009 – and of the Obama Presidency.
    Lets help him all we can, and stop with all the negative rubbish!
    Oust James Carville along with all the negative people.

January 2, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  23. Reid

Jeez, Reality... paranoid much?

January 2, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  24. Dieter Zerressen, Denver, CO

Janey: you voted for McCain because he is not scandel prone? Wow, R's have such short term memory. How about the Keating 5, Troopergate, clothing-gate. And that's just the start – I'm sure there's more if someone would dig. Remember, too, McCain said the fundamentals of the economy are strong just a couple of days before the world plunged into recession. Thank goodness that most Americans came to the conclusion that the R's are responsible for this economic fiasco and voted them out. Round 3 will be in 2010 and Round 4 in 2012. Maybe then the R's will have some realistic leadership where they'll make a successful run at an office somewhere outside of the deep south.

January 2, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  25. dancinfool zappa

Why does anybody listen to this hack?

January 2, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |