January 2nd, 2009

Carville makes painful prediction for 2009

Simple math says Democrats are more likely get caught up in a scandal, Carville says.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - You know, people will insist that 2008 had 366 days. I don't believe it. I think it had 36,066 days.

It certainly felt much longer than any year that I've ever experienced. Only time will tell what's in store for us in 2009, but first I have a few predictions.

Internationally, I believe there will be a peace agreement between Israel and Syria in the next 18 months. It is something that will be a priority for the incoming Obama administration.

In domestic politics, my first prediction is one that pains me to make, but I'll make it anyway.

The Democratic Party has had a recent run of corruption and sex scandals. Mathematicians say that there are no such things as streaks and that the last event has nothing to do with the next. The only people who disagree are crapshooters and political operatives. Since I am both, I firmly believe that there are streaks and that political scandals happen in clusters.

Full story

Filed under: James Carville • Politics
  1. Peace

Making prediction is the wastage of time. What we hear later is "I was wrong".

Why not instead, list down what was the success and failures of the year behind us. Propose what to be done to overcome those failures.

It will be helpful by doing so, and leave the guessing work (prediction) to the witch doctors.

January 2, 2009 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  2. Dan, TX

Obama, democrats and republicans can do nothing if we don't stand up for ourselves. We like to blame the politicians rather than look in the mirror. Sex scandals, really? That's the problem with America?

The problem is that the average American believes they deserve everything handed to them on a gold platter. Until people take responsibility for themselves there is nothing the government can do. (Taking care of yourself doesn't mean screw your neighbor to get ahead, it means helping your neighbor and you community as a means to help yourself).

Obama has shown himself to be a catalyst to empower people to organize themselves. This is his strength. If he continues down this path, 2009 will be the start of America coming back very strong by playing to its strengths - that is, you and me.

January 2, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  3. MP

Man...if only Carville was so insightful with his predictions when it comes to football. I could seek unemployment and collect some good government benefits, but first, take out a second mortgage on my house and bet it all on the Colts in the superbowl. Then 2009 would be the best year ever. I could call myself a democrate and live off the government and my illegally obtained cash!

January 2, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  4. Brooke in PA

To Vic's comment:
    " wish CNN would find a more Pro-Obama talking head."

As if they don't have enough already? Are you kidding?!! This network is filled with nothing but Obama kook aid drinking talking heads, I'm sorry if that's not good enough for you.

I love James, always have. I love his optimism about an Israel-Syria agreement, it's a hefty prediction.

January 2, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  5. proudliberal-independent

I predict that a progressive agenda will be lost, while President Obama and the blue dog dems try to find 'change' somewhere in the middle, by capitulating to evangelicals and moderate republicans. Things will get better ,but, i doubt there will be much real change.

January 2, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  6. WIlly Brown

Carville left out one topic; racism by the democrats by not allowing the senator appointed by the governor of IL to be seated. The usual Democratic Party corruption and sex scandals is nothing new, they just can’t blame in on Bush anymore.

January 2, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  7. kelly WI

Labels on people. I am sick of it. It's their character that counts not the party. I remember when a mixed marriage was a catholic and a luthern.
    There always will be wars. For men its a competition. Always have had wars in one way or the other since people formed tribes.

January 2, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  8. pam Eugene OR

Carville would be singing the praises of the Democrats had his beloved Hillary won the election. He is unbelievably biased and no matter what Obama does to try to dig us out of the deplorable situation Bush is leaving the US with it won't be enough for Carville. He has made no secret of his distaste for Obama.
    The FACT that politicians in IL are mostly corrupt is not news. BOTH parties in that state have been working under the pay to play rules for generations. This time it just happens that the Dems got caught.
    I am willing to give Obama the benefit of the doubt about the situation in IL and pray he will be able to help US out of the mess we are in.
    No one cares what Carville thinks except Carville and Hillary Clinton.;

January 2, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  9. T

I am a Reagan Republican. I feel we owe it to our country to support our new President to the utmost. The last 8 yrs have shown that Republicans certainly don't have a monopoly on brains. The next 8 will show that politicians, like all people have trouble "keeping it in their pants", as well as putting country before self. Bear in mind we have some really big problems to get past and Republicans need to be facilitators and loyal opposition rather then back biters. If we don't, we will get what we deserve, a Palin candidacy which will spell the end of the Republican party.

January 2, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  10. Polar Bears Against Palen

As a true leftist, I am sick and tired of these middle-of-the-road, wishy-washy Democrats like James Carville. He's a goof.

I love the old folk song, "Love Me, I'm a Liberal", by Phil Oachs. It is perfect for the kind of liberals like James Carville. Gives real progressives like me a bad name.

January 2, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  11. Kim. Dallas, TX

James Carville is the Judas of the Democratic Party. He does not support Obama, and most likely never will. I do agree on some of his points, but will never agree completely with him. He showed his true colors during the primaries.

January 2, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  12. aware

Wrong on the first and right on the second!

The cesspool of palm-greasing thuggery of Chicago politics will continue to overflow and PEBO will get a belated vetting! :(

January 2, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  13. Larry in Houston

James, there will be NO peace with Isreal & the Palestinians, period....
    It will be war in the mid-east, til the end of time, the Bible shows us this.....The only possible way, would be if Iran "all of a sudden" decides to send some missles into Gaza and Isreal, with a possibility of eliminating 2 or 3 million people.....Then, there won't be any fighting, of any kind......(there will be more land, than there is people)
    (right now, there is way too many people that wants the same territory)

Larry C.
    Houston, Texas

January 2, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  14. patriot

Knock it off, Irritated in FL. It's obvious what you are.

January 2, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  15. please

Reality –
    funny name since you have no grasp of reality whatsoever.

How is Obama woefully incapable? That's your boy Bush I think your thinking about.

Iran no longer concerned with American Military Might because of Obama? Seriously, are you a ten year old kid reading daddies grown up books or something? Iran did more in advancing a nuke under Bush then ever before. Iran realized that America is bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan to worry about them. It had/has nothing to do with Obama.

maybe you should stick to coloring books....

January 2, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  16. Brian - Trinidad

I'm a big,big,Carville fan because I loved the way he tapped into the ordinary man-on-the-street thinking during the Clinton years.I still admire and respect him,but it saddens me to see that he has fallen into the same path as the other big-shot political pundits,namely the Obama-Worshippers Club.Is anybody going to take an objective view on Obama?The country is going to go the way the Obama Presidency will go.And so far the Obama President isn't shaping up to be the different change-oriented Presidency that it promised.The simplest things have been screwed up so far.Start with the senate seat replacements.How can we expect Obama to bring heads of state with huge historical differences together when he can't even get a senate seat replacement done without major controversy?And why isn't this being talked about,Mr Carville?

January 2, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  17. Jo

The Republican Party has forgotten that a true conservative might care about a person's private life be it choice issues or homosexuality but would never try to legislate personal behavior. A true conservative wants justice for all people and for the government to have very little to do except protect the country militarily and to tend to those matters not left to the individual states. Until the Republican party purges itself of the moral judgers and reverts to its true conservative roots, it will continue to lose elections. The Republican strategy of claiming moral superiority and calling Democrats murderers and perverts is no longer working and hopefully will never work again.

As to the Carville prediction of further scandals, it probably will happen because some politicians (regardless of party) just cannot resist the temptation which accompany money and influence. I bet Carville knows of the possible scandals and is just waiting for them to be exposed.

January 2, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  18. Why????

Mr. Courville, of course there will be peace for a little while. I had said that a few months ago. So many are looking at the election of President-elect Obama as a historian moment; which is; but many aren’t seeing the big picture. President-elect Mr. Obama is where he should be at this time.

I knew he would will this election and that Hillary wouldn't be his Vice-President; but chosen for another post in his cabinet. I also knew John McCain would pick a woman as his runner mate. No matter what the haters says about President-elect Mr. Obama; his agenda will prevail. Those appointed by President-elect Mr. Obama is where he/she should be at this time also..

There is so much hate from some about the President-elect on this blog. You don’t think God created Hell for the fun of it? Do you?

The haters should get ready for what will happen after we are granted peace and safety. This will occurred after President-elect Mr. Obama has served his terms.

January 2, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  19. EW

I wish that everyone on both sides wiould stop spewing idealogical lies and start living in reality. The reality is that these elected individuals are OUR employees. When is the last time that government of any kind has solved any problem?

There is no accountability. The GAO? Bureaucrats looking after other bureaucrats? It's more like the fox guarding the henhouse. Politicians are drunk with power that they have taken and have not been granted by the Constitution. We will continue to see corruption and scandals until the people wake up and stop electingthe same corrupt scumbags over and over again.

More government is the problem, not the solution.

January 2, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  20. CHRIS

Anti-Obamabot January 2nd, 2009 12:47 pm ET

I work for a living therefore I must be a Republican

__________________________

Idiot.

January 2, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  21. Kevin B

To the naysayers: The success of the Obama administration on the economc front is in all of our interest. Anyone not wanting him to succeed is bringing a pox upon you own house, and shows a deep flaw in your character.

How can you all yourself and American while at the same time hoping for the worst?

GWB and crew have done themselves in by aligning with all that is negative and shortsighted, (A lie is always revealed) they had eight years to get it right and look what it has wrought.

Dwindling retirement accounts, OBL still on the loose, home prices down, crumbling infrasructure, etc. (what more proof do you need?)

I say godspeed and good luck to Pres Obama for if you fail, we may all fail and we can not afford to fail as a nation !

January 2, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  22. Angel

Corruption and scandal in politics? The HECK you say!

January 2, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  23. Hopeful

@GET REAL January 2nd, 2009 12:52 pm ET

Thank You, your post was so good I had to post it again
    Finally someone with some common sense

Of course, you could all try to be optimistic… Adpoting the "us" and "them" partisan attitudes are just making you people rave like loonies. Despite what both sides may claim, change starts at home, so despite the bad weather, you could be out helping in your community or raising your family instead of posting venom on the 'Net.

Even if I sound like a hippie-dippie liberal right now, I think I have all the evidence I need when I look at you all losing your minds. Seriously. None of you can predict the future (not even Carville), so why don't we just wait and see what happens. In the meantime, the key word here is "support," not "destruction." Worried about thenew government? The economy? Get off your butt and DO something. These people here that you're preaching to won't miss you, trust me.

(Just like they won't miss me… even if this does get posted, I'm sure it'll be lost in a sea of negativity anyway… hello? *tap tap* is this thing on?)

January 2, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  24. Larry in Houston

Hey Reality, you're an Idiot.............
    If Isreal really wants peace over there, they would start acting like sensible people, instead of Idiots.....Don't you know that they have control over congress ? over 90% of those in congress have ties, or are related to people in Israel.......(if they aren't a little 'jewish' theirselves) so, in essence, they are going to take up for their OWN people....

Larry
    Houston,, Texas

January 2, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  25. HouseDiva

OLD TIMER....

i agree with your prediction over Carville's prediction..

the only things missing from these predictions is that the Bush regime will be investigated and tried, and that there will be a REAL 911 investigation.

January 2, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |