January 2nd, 2009

Carville makes painful prediction for 2009

Simple math says Democrats are more likely get caught up in a scandal, Carville says.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - You know, people will insist that 2008 had 366 days. I don't believe it. I think it had 36,066 days.

It certainly felt much longer than any year that I've ever experienced. Only time will tell what's in store for us in 2009, but first I have a few predictions.

Internationally, I believe there will be a peace agreement between Israel and Syria in the next 18 months. It is something that will be a priority for the incoming Obama administration.

In domestic politics, my first prediction is one that pains me to make, but I'll make it anyway.

The Democratic Party has had a recent run of corruption and sex scandals. Mathematicians say that there are no such things as streaks and that the last event has nothing to do with the next. The only people who disagree are crapshooters and political operatives. Since I am both, I firmly believe that there are streaks and that political scandals happen in clusters.

Full story

Filed under: James Carville • Politics
  1. Mike

A peace agreement between Syria and Israel? Is this man insane, stupid, or both?

January 2, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  2. Tim

The democrats have scandal after scandal, they are just not reported because of the double standard. Take for example Obama's comment about not looking like others on the dollar bill. If a white man had said that, it would be all over the news and would be the end of his political career.

January 2, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  3. HaHa!

Oh how I LOVE reading the comments that say "I'm voting for the other party now, because of all the scandal". Ummm..... scandal seems to hit BOTH Democrat and Republican.... it's not picky! That's because all politicians are of the same stock, reguardless of their views... basically it seems you have to be scandalous to be a politician now-a-days! For every one that gets caught, just imagine how many more are getting away with it! So you sound foolish to say that because of scandals, you will vote with the other guy who is against your most core beleifs, be you a conservative or liberal.

Hmmmm...... someone forgot their thinking cap today!

January 2, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  4. CanIcallyouJoe

2009 will be no different. The government of the United States has been brainwashed into thinking 1984 is some kind of instruction manual.

WAR IS PEACE.
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY.
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

I'd get used to those concepts, save we actually do something to change the complacency currently plaguing this nation. Evidence is so blatant that it's amazing to me how things aren't pointed out. Case in Point: We're commenting on an article written by someone involved in the government being published on a national media website – a media website that is claiming to give the people unbiased information about the world.

January 2, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  5. facts are facts

Conservatism and Capitalism breed corruption and since the U.S. is a conservative thinking country with faith based capitalism corruption will remain it's ideology. If you don't believe it do some thinking about all the power hungry and wealthy people who can't get enough as they just keep on filling their pockets and the pockets of their cronies.

Greed it's the American way.

January 2, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  6. Big Ed

Well, I hope that things turn around and that there are a number of successful initiatives for the Obama Administration. I respect Mr. Carvelle, however his wife is a nut! When she speaks (talking involves being coherent and having a worthwhile message – speak, well we teach our dogs to "speak") it looks like someone stuck a turd under her nose.

No one knows for sure what 2009 hs in store for us. I am hoping for peace, goodwill and prosperity for all Americans – Democrat and Republican!

January 2, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  7. GOParty Pooper

So Jimmie is making predictions – same guy who thought Clinton would win.

Well, then perhaps he should change his name from Carville to Criswell.

Here's a prediction for you: No one will care what Carville has to say.

January 2, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  8. rplat

The absence of “streaks” or unrelated, independent events occurs only if such events are completely controlled by the unbiased randomness of nature. The Democratic bungling is not random; it's influenced by the complete idiocy and incompetence of their members. Carvell needs to review his old math books (if he ever studied math).

January 2, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  9. gregg45

wow old timer... any more good news ,,, lol.....oh wAIT,, there is no , as i have heard, no blacks in the senate, is this true,,, is this true...oh my god.. please help us all... what will will we do... im crying,,,

January 2, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  10. Greg, San Francisco, CA

This nice thing about making predictions is that when they don't come true, most people don't remember them – like when Carville predicted Hillary Clinton would be President. Any Mr. 'Reality' I have yet to read another blogger more detached from reality – have you considered institutionalization?

January 2, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  11. Juan Grain

He is usually on target.

January 2, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  12. S Callahan

Well James, you don't have to predict this...the Bible already told us the consequences when nation or man leaves their faith in God.....we reap what we sow.

January 2, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  13. cobra

It is a sad state of affairs that our country is in, the economy is in a bust and people are hurting. How is it that we the people keep sending the same bunch of scum to Washington, it matters not which party you claim as most of the ones that are sent to Washington have only one agenda, that is to get re-elected and/or rich. Why do we the people keep sending in crooks and convicted felons to represent us, there has to be something wrong with we the people. How about next election just throwing out all the ones that are in office now and starting over with a fresh bunch of hopefully honest people.

January 2, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  14. prosanto

I hope we do not have another arrogant, right wing Government in my lifetime again. The trickle down economics has proved failure for the second time.

January 2, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  15. sg

Once the American people get a taste of what the Democrats have in store for the US they will be run out of town. I hope Pelosi, Reid, Frank and Dodd are thrown into the sewer where they belong. Actually I have a better idea of what to do with them but it wouldn't be posted.

January 2, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  16. jbs ohio

CNN please stop talking about Obama,you guy's are driving these McCainiacs crazy.He's has done more than bush, and he 's han't even unpact his underware yet.You McCainiacs need to get a hobby,you will have another chance in 2012.If you don't like Obama so what,We dems have put up with your nut jobs in the whitehouse for eight years.I know Obama is going to be agreat prez,he can't do no worse than bush.I have seen so call president bush drunk so many times,CNN why don't you guy's look into,if bush made key decisions while was drunk,NOW THAT'S REPORTING.That's why we are in this mess now.ALCOHOLIC BUSH McCainiacs get him some help,focus on that.

January 2, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  17. mattie

Republicans, give our country a break. You are the ones that want
    to hold on to all our money and disperse it the way that you want. Well
    I'm sorry, but you are not the only ones here in the USA!! And please
    read your HISTORY before making anymore comments about our
    president elect OBAMA. He with our help will make this nation great
    again?? Go OBAMA!!

January 2, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  18. Fani from NJ

I'm surprised at this so called 'prediction'. He didn't even make a proper prediction. Saying "I predict it will be cold tomorrow" in the middle of winter isn't a prediction Carville. Tell us something concrete or else you become another shill on the news.

January 2, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  19. Taa Taa

Irritated in FL, you are not a democrat.. The hogwash you posted is straight from the mouth of a republican who (like with the primaries) is tryig to make people 2nd guess the democratic party. Go back and ask Rush for advise on how to minipulate the public, cause your posting sure did not... and it actually reflects your conservatism...Duh!!

January 2, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  20. Crazy Stuff

Easy call on the Republican Party,, what could be listed that they have done right in the last 8 years, Palin ,Joe Six Pack , was there final show of being dysfunctional, many years until they have any respect. Rice is still talking about what should be done regarding the Gaza issue, she has been talking the same non workable ideas since she was appointed as Sec State.

January 2, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  21. Calling it for what it is....

I believe that the post from "Reality" is dead on. Unlike the loons on both the far right and left, I honestly hope that Obama is a successful President. However, I have seen him make the wrong call twice now. Once on his initial reaction to the Georgian Conflict and now with his lack of saying "anything" on the situation in Gaza. Do not give me the only one POTUS at a time nonsense. It would not hurt him to come out and say the following:

The situation in Gaza is an unfortunate event. I urge Hamas to stop launching rockets into Israel and for the Israelli's to also show some restraint in order to quell hostilities. I encourage all forms of aid to be allowed through into Gaza to relieve the suffering....blah..blah..blah.

anyway, you get the point...."SAY SOMETHING"

Doesn't anybody else find the timing of the Gaza attacks a little "unusual"?

All of this is being orchestrated from Tehran so the world will focus it's attention elsewhere and they can resume and speed up their Nuclear Program.....The Iranians do this at the cost of Palestinian Blood.....Hamas launches rockets for weeks into Israel with little media coverage and then when Israel strikes back after warning them over and over again to stop the attacks....they are the bad guy.....

One thing is for sure....Obama is going to have comment sooner or later.....I only hope that he say's the right thing.......

January 2, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  22. Taa Taa

Anti-Obama, I work for a living too, but I know I'm a democrat. So what is your stupid point? I-d-i-o-t!!

January 2, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  23. BC in NC

Does Bro. Carville think he's a person who can look into the future. I've only read about one being that could predict the future and I don't believe that Mr. Carville could fill those shoes.

January 2, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  24. the idiot

JBS Ohio-Your intelligence coupled with your syntax make us all proud american..

January 2, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  25. BTGH, Streamwood, IL

If Mr. Carville is correct and we are in for some new sex scandals involving Democrats instead of Republicans, that could also mean a change from homosexual misconduct to heterosexual misconduct.

January 2, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |