January 2nd, 2009

Carville makes painful prediction for 2009

Simple math says Democrats are more likely get caught up in a scandal, Carville says.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - You know, people will insist that 2008 had 366 days. I don't believe it. I think it had 36,066 days.

It certainly felt much longer than any year that I've ever experienced. Only time will tell what's in store for us in 2009, but first I have a few predictions.

Internationally, I believe there will be a peace agreement between Israel and Syria in the next 18 months. It is something that will be a priority for the incoming Obama administration.

In domestic politics, my first prediction is one that pains me to make, but I'll make it anyway.

The Democratic Party has had a recent run of corruption and sex scandals. Mathematicians say that there are no such things as streaks and that the last event has nothing to do with the next. The only people who disagree are crapshooters and political operatives. Since I am both, I firmly believe that there are streaks and that political scandals happen in clusters.

Full story

Filed under: James Carville • Politics
  1. Texas Teacher

Prosanto.... this is the third run of trickle down economics! It started with Reagan continued through Daddy Bush and finally Jr. Bush! The only break we got was from Bill Clinton. He left this nation in pretty darn good shape despite the witchhunt the Repubs put him through! Jr. Bush just finished the job of his daddy and that paragon of virtue as touted by the Repubs, Reagan! Those 3 presidents have succeeded in nearly destroying our Nation and disgracing us all over the world. What did they care? Not a one thing! They are richer and we are poorer... and they simply do NOT care as long as THEY are just fine! We are pawns... no peasants in their dream... and that IS all!

January 2, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  2. Mobius

Who gives two hoots about Israel vs anybody? Let the savages destroy each other. We have problems of our own.

January 2, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  3. HOY

Thats all he could come up with? I often wonder what role guys like Carville and the late Atwater serve? Change the system Barack

January 2, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  4. PDX Gal

Here's a predicion:
    Republicans will keep lying and hating. And they'll keep believing their own lies. Frigging sociopaths.

January 2, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  5. Pat Healy

Carville,

You're as stupid as you are bald. Please go back to redneck Louisianna and crawl back into the swamp you came from.

January 2, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  6. Israel is America's business

Isarel is the canary in the mine.
    Wake up!

January 2, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  7. Ken M. Millington Mi

Mr Carville. first and formost i would like to take this oppurtunity to say that i consider you to be a political genious and a tenacious tactician.I supported barack since the early days of the primary and i new that you and Pres Clinton would put up one hell of a fight. With that said I couldn't agree more about the state of the Republicans. Theres a war coming inside the republican party! for to long now the evangelical right wing has pushed out the moderate republicans or the fiscal conservatives. thinking that they could keep the United States living in the leave it to beaver days of old. We need forward thinking people from both sides to lead america into a globalized economy not back to the stoneage. Well Happy New Year. Keep fighting the good fight.

January 2, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  8. Honestly Folks

To the simple mind that doesnt understand or appreciate complexity Bush caused ALL of our problems. Wake up folks. Cheap credit hurt didnt happen without support from BOTH parties.

For those Obama-bots that dont understand why people are afraid of him consider this. He wants to increase government spending! Name any country in history that spent itself into long term prosperity.

January 2, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  9. A Canuck

Carville may be a Democrat .....but he blows with the wind !!!!

January 2, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  10. Griff

America has to stop believing the Arabs so much.... Yeah there is the odd one.... But only 4%.... You have to learn to think like them> Me?
    No! I am still learning. But I have so much history of the Middle East...

January 2, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  11. max (NY)

Guys, beware of false prophets. It was predicted in the Bible that many false prophets will rise at the end of time; and it was also advised to not pay attention to what they say and not get confused by them. This Mr. Carville is not only a false prophet, but a fake false one.
    Next time he has something to predict, he should first go and predict it to the toilet bowl, after doing so, if he still feels like predicting, then he must know that he has an unpredictable verbal diarrhea, his best cure is to shut up.

January 2, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  12. Jacob Bergeron

I understand we have many domestic issues to deal with. However any conflict in the world must be look at. The U.S. is supposed to be the beacon of hope and sign of democracy. So it may frustrate Americans that we are focusing on issues that geologically has nothing to do with us. Israel’s conflicts should not be our main focus but we must continue to urge a long term cease fire. The United States needs to improve our global image so we must always comment and have an influence in global conflicts/ issues.

January 2, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  13. Joyce

Tell me something I don't already know. Anyone could have "predicted" that.

I'd say the demise of the Republican party. It's only a matter of time.
    Look out for a 3rd party. Democratic socialism with parliamentary system. That's the way the world is going. Those that want to prevent a Bush type leadership. Someone like Bush could have been removed in the mid way his first term of office.

January 2, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  14. A mirror is a wonderful thing

Democrats will keep accusing of others of intolerance...

January 2, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  15. Ken in Dallas

@Calling it for what it is....

Do you remember two months ago, when the Republicans were trying to blame Clinton for the shape the economy's in?

I don't blame politicians, but philosophies, and the people that turn economic philosophies into religious dogma. The real world has room for more than one philosophy in it; the people that think their role is to be masters of the economy because they have all the Right Answers....

Well, they don't.

January 2, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  16. jona

Carville.. PLEASE return to the pool table you came from. YOU aren't smart enough to predict a sunrise.

January 2, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  17. joe

Here is my prediction for 2009: Congress will engulfed in corruption scandals the likes of which haven't been seen since the Nixon administration. President-Elect Obama hasn't even taken office yet and he's already violated the US Constitution in his appointment of Senator Clinton. Democrats in the Senate are refusing to abide by the Constitutionally valid appointment of Rowland Burris to fill Obama's Senate seat. Caroline Kennedy is publicly campaigning to fill Senator Clintons seat in the Senate which leads me to believe we should be on the lookout for another "seat for sale" scandal. I think the Federal Ellections committee will investigate CNN's roll in the 2008 election and find that it acted unfairly in it's support of Obama and it's deep seated hatred of Sarah Palin. By the end of the year, millions of Americans will have realized that the United States Presidency was in fact purchased by Barack Obama for over $650 million. Unemployment will continue to climb, forclosures will continue to rise, gas prices will go back up and Democracy in Iraq will collaps because Obama doesn't have an idea what it takes to run a foreign policy or to command our nations military. Al Franken will emerge as the victor from Minnisota and by the end of the year be view as a laughing stock. By the end of Obama's first term, VP Biden will be in danger of being removed from the Democratic ticket due to his offensive behavior. Just my predictions.

January 2, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  18. Jim in Asheville

Hey PDX gal. In case it slipped by you unnoticed, the "lying" lately is from your party. Take a hard, unbiased look at recent Illinois politics. Could we agree that politicians from BOTH parties are susceptible to corruption? It almost seems to be cyclical.

January 2, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  19. please

Wow Joe-
    you are really crazy aren't you?

Instead of spewing rhetoric, explain yourself.

How did Obama violate the constitution by appointing Clinton?

I'm waiting...........................................

January 2, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  20. JMH

Yes, scandals will always exist, but unlike some others, I believe we "should" care about them, to the extent that they reflect the character of those we elect into office, and the idea that if they cannot even deal with their own lives in an ethical, transparent, and honest way, then how can we expect them to do so in office. That said, scandal happens on both sides of the aisle, and to try to say one party is worse than the other, is counter-intuitive to the facts. Also, all those who like to namecall and launch personal attacks on elected officials who they disagree with on a politicl/philosophy level, are the biggest problem – because they make the conflict about slapping the person down, versus having an open and honest discussion about the disagrements. I don't agree with Rush Limbaugh 95% of the time, but would I call him "Rush Limpball" like someone did in their comments? No, because that takes away from a real and honest discussion of my disagremeent with his views, and makes it about personal attacks. Contrary to what a lot of people on both sides of the aisle may think - not all Republicans are heartless, cold/mean, and racist - and not all Democrats are socialist-leaning, stupid, and immoral. When are we going to get past the "labels" and personal attacks, and be able to engage in honest discourse about all of the MANY critical issues PE Obama and our country will be facing in the coming years? From the nature of these comments, probably not anytime soon. And that is a tragedy to me.

Lastly – and in the nature of having balanced reporting - for Carville to imply that it's the Southern/talk radio Republicans against the "rest of the country" of Republicans, is really not based in reality ... Carville should realize that contrary to what a lot of Democrats believe, talk radio is merely voicing the unspoken opinions of many people across this country, and to relegate it to "southerners" is doing a disservice to all of those in agreement with some of the views being expressed. I used to discount the conservative talk radio hosts as angry and crazy and racist, because that's what the liberal media would imply - then one day I actually listened because I figured, in order for me to intelligently be able to disagree, I'd actually had to be able to say I listened, and not just for one day or one sound bite, but over an extended period of time ... funny thing is, while a lot of times I did not agree with the "tone" of the voices, much to my surprise, there were a lot of good, solid points brought up that had nothing to do with being mean, or bigoted, or unfeeling – and even in those instances where I did not end up agreeing with the viewpoints, I have formed a new respect for many of the talk radio folks, despite the differences of opinion – because in really listening, I heard intelligent, hard working, and serious people. And this is coming from me, an Independent (i.e. not a Republican). I hope Carville actually takes the time to listen, over a long period of time, to people like Glenn Beck ... he might learn a thing or too about what's REALLY being said out there in talk-radio land.

January 2, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  21. JM

Spot on Joe. You forgot to mention that Frank, Dodd, Schumer, Pelosi and Reid will all be perp walked and thrown in jail. One can dream can't she.

January 2, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  22. Kori

I agree its's time to stop playing the blame game, repubs did this dems this that it's not productive. The fact of the matter is we had 8 years of failed policy and a Legislative Branch that did not serve the interets of the people (both parties failed) I hope conservatives and dems alike will give Obama and chance, the man hasn't even been sworn in and people are talking about are impending doom, give me a break. Do you really think he can do any worse than Bush? quick answer he can't because he didn't surrond himself with yes men, and he isn't afraid to admit fault, go obama!

January 2, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  23. Just John

Well said Ken in Dallas

January 2, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  24. tdewitt@megalink.net

Clinton left us with a SURPLUS. Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II left us in the RED. Remind me...which party is tax-and-spend?

January 2, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  25. Marty, FL

Mike (3:10 pm ET),

No, you are a Republican, because you apparently ditto whatever talking points/rhetoric Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, etc. tell you.

Steve B.,

It's unfortunate you would find some kind of enjoyment out of someone else's misfortune. Your post almost makes it appear as if you want our country to fail. What a sad perspective.

Fortunately, many Americans are optimistic about the new direction our country is headed in 2009 away from the past eight years.

January 2, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |