January 2nd, 2009

Reports: Bennet to replace Salazar

Obama tapped Salazar for interior secretary.
Obama tapped Salazar for interior secretary.

(CNN) - Denver Public Schools Superintendent Michael Bennet is Colorado Gov. Bill Ritter's pick to replace Sen. Ken Salazar, according to several media reports.

Ritter is expected to name Bennet to the position on Saturday, according to Denver media outlets.

Salazar, a first term senator, is President-elect Barack Obama's choice to be Interior Secretary and is expected to easily be confirmed by the Senate.

Ritter had narrowed down his choice to either Bennet or the popular Denver mayor John Hickenlooper, and made his final decision on New Years Day, according to the reports.

Ritter's office would not confirm the report to CNN.

UPDATE: Ritter's office has announced the Governor will name his Senate choice Saturday in a 4 p.m. ET news conference.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Paul C.

Griff and Richard Rhode, you really need to take your doctor's advice and stop sniffing glue! It makes you stupid! LOL, your diatribe is as laughable as the morons who think the WTC and Pentagon were brought down by controlled demolitions. As for ACORN, that's been settled. You bringing that up shows you lack of facts and intelligence. But I guess some people like you live in such denial that you invent things that you think are real. Anyways, nobody pays attention to pitiful people like you anymore so continue to rant looney tunes! LOL Good job with Gov. Ritter, I have watched Mr. Bennet for a while and like what he has to offer. It's like another poster said, nice to have an EDUCATED person!

January 2, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  2. Dan, TX

How about a bio on the new appointee?

January 2, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  3. USAF MSgt, Ret.

I don't want to sound critical of my president-elect who I campaigned for and supported, but I wish he was picking some of these Congressional homesteaders who can't be defeated and won't retire to let someone younger take their seat. But I trust that he knows what he's doing. I have a lot more faith in Obama than I ever had in Bush.

January 2, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  4. Mark, B'ham., Al.

This one worked out smooth but I hope he is not just another democrat kissing the Teachers Unions A## and get our kids caught up with European and Asia students who go to school more days, more hours, and learn hard math and science instead of athletics, drama, and music.

January 2, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  5. Dan from Philly

Griff January 2nd, 2009 4:11 pm ET

"Barack Obama trash-ilusion… He! Barack Obama has no idea what he's doing, or what he is supposed to do… America! If Barack Obama chooses: Alice in Wonderland,… Play a game of Cards… But make "Obama your Queen" of Hearts…"

Don't eat the brown acid, dude. Seriously.

January 2, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  6. GuyInVA

Did anyone read Dave Barry's columns from the Democratic National Convention in Denver? His article on Denver being a cow town with a mayor named Hickenlooper was hilarious. Not mean spirited at all, just funny. He just can't let go of the mayor's name. He satirically puts down folks from Denver and says, "what a bunch of Hickenloopers." Funny writer (I know, better than I am).

January 2, 2009 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  7. WIlly Brown

LOL @Mark's comment. Happy New Year!

January 2, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  8. MikeH

Hey folks, Griff and Rohde are probably the same person (Ann Coulter?), and is just a troll looking for food. Don't feed 'em.

January 2, 2009 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  9. Fay Tx

Paul C. January 2nd, 2009 5:25 pm ET
    TO–Griff and Richard Rhode, you really need to take your doctor's advice and stop sniffing glue! It makes you stupid! LOL, your diatribe is as laughable as the morons who think the WTC and Pentagon were brought down by controlled demolitions. As for ACORN, that's been settled. You bringing that up shows.**** THANK YOU PAUL C....
    Griff and Richard Rhode are you Guys Related?

January 2, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  10. Young voter

I'm 26 but I think purposely choosing people for their youth is discrimination against the older generation. Being older doesn't mean being less qualified. Then again, I respect my elders so maybe I'm in the minority here.

January 2, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  11. OC

American: the fundamental issues in the Palestine/Israel conflict concern land (borders), illegal settlements, refugee crisis and status of Jerusalem– not Islam. Christian Palestinians are also refugees and exiles.

January 2, 2009 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  12. I hope he was a miracle to Colorado

because our schools need a miracle, my parents were teachers, I appreciate how hard they work, but we need an overhall

January 2, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  13. janet , ohio

This guy looks like an idiot, sorry, but has the nation heard him speak yet?

January 2, 2009 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  14. Texas Teacher

EnigmaNetx, another American GrandMother who's Mad as Hell.

Thank you very much... :)

Here's an Old Indian Grammie who is also Mad as Hell!

January 2, 2009 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  15. alvino

Willy Brown has once again shown that he has been water-boarded too many times. He clings too tight to Rush's skirt and takes the inane rantings of Hannity as Gospel.

January 2, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  16. alvino

Griff-

Simmer down. You will be all right with proper therapy. People might think you are more creditable if you write in complete sentences.

January 2, 2009 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  17. Rick Sutter

EnigmaNetx,

Do not EVER include me in you "we" and "us". I am ashamed there are people like you in this country, but I have to live with it. You are brainwashed and delusional. MY dream is doing fine, thank you. I just hope I have some of it left by the time Barry and his team are through with us.

January 2, 2009 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |