January 4th, 2009

Bush 41: Now probably a ‘bad time’ for Jeb to run for W.H.

Former President George H. W. Bush says son, Jeb, possesses all the qualities necessary to win the White House.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – His son hasn’t left the White House yet, but former president George H. W. Bush is already thinking about the next Bush who might one day move in. The elder Bush says his oldest son, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, has all the qualities necessary to occupy the Oval Office.

“I’d like to see him run, I’d like to see him be president some day,” the nation’s 41st chief executive declared on “Fox News Sunday.” He is “as qualified and as able as anyone I know in the political scene."

However, the senior Bush acknowledged, “Right now is probably a bad time, because we've got enough Bushes in there.”

In the meantime, the former president suggested his son would make an “outstanding senator” because Jeb “really has a feel for people, the issues in Florida and nationally, and his political days ought not to be over, says his old father.”

The current President Bush agrees, openly saying he would like to see his brother run for the Florida Senate seat, replacing outgoing Republican incumbent Mel Martinez in 2010.

1. Justin from New Haven, CT

No more Bushes or Clintons.

January 4, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  2. susan

God save us from another stupid Bush president!

January 4, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  3. BB

I think Never would be a good time for any of the Bushies to run. They ran this country into wars and poverty. That's enough running.

January 4, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  4. david goldman

YES, YES YES !!!!

FIX SOME OF THOSE MISSING CHROMOSOMES

& WE WILL ELECT A BUSH. PSYCH, NOT REALLY.

I GET AN ATTACK OF NAUSEA EVERY TIME I SEE A BUSH !!!

January 4, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  5. Hayden

I am a Republican. I voted for McCain. I will NEVER vote for a Bush again for any office in any state at any time. We are done with the Bush dynasty.

January 4, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  6. Rick

I don't think anybody in the Republican Party is going to let another Bush get his foot in the door. Not gonna happen for JEB. Not in this lifetime.

January 4, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  7. Barack wins but America loses

I would run in 2012 instead myself. Jeb all the way.

January 4, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  8. Alan St Lois MO

Hes only chance is to trick the public and change his last name LOL

January 4, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  9. BKMC

WBsh is the end of the Bushes, enough with the father and sons, they have not served well the great United States of America.

January 4, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  10. Are you crazy? YES!!!

This family is the craziest family I have seen in the political arena in my life! Can this crazy father see what his son has done to this nation? I have students with perfect GPA that cannot get a job, the economy is in the biigest mess in my generation, I have officiated three funerals for fallen slodiers in our area. I cannot wait for the change that this new President will bring. Anyone that will vote for a Bush is absolutley crazy. They are the doubtest rich oil tycoons I have ever seen. I totally agree that this President Bush is the absolute worst President in our history. Good bye!!!

January 4, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  11. strong

Still the same old faces, same old families, same old dynasties.
    Did you believe that we were going to get "change?" If you said yes, you should have never drunk the koolaid ...

It's all a game, people.

January 4, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  12. Give me a break!

As a native Floridian – one who lived through 8 years of Bush as Governor of our state – just let me go on record to say that I would NEVER vote for Jeb for the US Senate. We've had enough. During his time in office, he ruined our state – and his cronie Crist is finishing the job for him. The only thing Jeb did right was during the hurricanes of 2004. Other than that – nada, zippo, goose egg. Floridians will remember and will not be fooled.

January 4, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  13. LF Oneto - VA

Mr. HW Bush, the US is not a Corporation (although W and Dick probably think so). Your son has done so much damage to this country and is, according to 70 percent of the people, the worst President in modern history and one of the worst in history. I have a great deal of respect for you, but please spare us your parental feelings.

January 4, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  14. S.K.

The entire Bush clan suffers from mental illness, and that is no joke. It's sad that Americans are such poor judges of character.

January 4, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  15. R Wolf

Please – no more Bush family members in the White House. They do nothing but ruin this country and have NO ability to understand the American people on any level.

January 4, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  16. Griff

Brothers!!!! Future!!! America embrace it....

January 4, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  17. Tom in CA

Fooled once – shame on you!
    Fooled twice – shame on me!

We've been fooled once by a Bush! We won't be fooled again!

Jeb – run for Senator! You can fool Floridians all the time!

January 4, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  18. Seriously?

Oh God, please No. No. Seriously. No.

January 4, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  19. Robert Jackson

PLEASE NO!!! Florida and the DNC, put every dollar you have to stop this power hungry family. I never want to see the day another Bush is in the whitehouse. I am a Floridian and while Jeb is smarter than his brother W, his priorities are just as askew. He is a smart politician and likes to fake to the left, but he is as conservative as they come and does not represent the values of the vast majority of the US. PLEASE DNC, find a strong democrat to oppose him and fund that person with everything possible to put an end to Jebs career. He should spend time with his crack addicted daughter and not vie for public office again.

January 4, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  20. Sherrol in Canada

You're darn riight about too many Bushes, Bush 41. Please give the American people a break, they need time to heal.

January 4, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  21. GrogInOhio

Yeah, right. Exactly what America needs... 3 failed Bush presidencies. I don't even think today's Republicans are quite that dimwitted.

16 days till the end of the Bush administration.

January 4, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  22. true

The bush kids might have a better shot than Jeb.

January 4, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  23. Fed up with the monarchy

You've got to be kidding me.

With the extremely poor performance, and dismal approval (on both sides of the fence) of Dubya, how can anyone even remotely consider having another Bush in office?

One would think that these people, who are supposedly intelligent, would realize that his brother's shadow is deep enough and dark enough to keep any future Bush out of the limelight however qualified (or in Jeb's case not qualified).

January 4, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  24. Democrat

I'd vote for him! He'd be way better than the pinheads America just elected!

January 4, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  25. Jan Illinois

Understatement of the year!!! Decade!!! Lifetime!!! Period.

January 4, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |