January 4th, 2009

Bush 41: Now probably a ‘bad time’ for Jeb to run for W.H.

Former President George H. W. Bush says son, Jeb, possesses all the qualities necessary to win the White House.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – His son hasn’t left the White House yet, but former president George H. W. Bush is already thinking about the next Bush who might one day move in. The elder Bush says his oldest son, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, has all the qualities necessary to occupy the Oval Office.

“I’d like to see him run, I’d like to see him be president some day,” the nation’s 41st chief executive declared on “Fox News Sunday.” He is “as qualified and as able as anyone I know in the political scene."

However, the senior Bush acknowledged, “Right now is probably a bad time, because we've got enough Bushes in there.”

In the meantime, the former president suggested his son would make an “outstanding senator” because Jeb “really has a feel for people, the issues in Florida and nationally, and his political days ought not to be over, says his old father.”

The current President Bush agrees, openly saying he would like to see his brother run for the Florida Senate seat, replacing outgoing Republican incumbent Mel Martinez in 2010.

1. janey

This country can't stand another bush......

January 4, 2009 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  2. Dwayne

The last thing the United States need is another BUSH, whether it's Mayor, Governor, Senator, and GOD help us President.
    George (Worstever) Bush, in the best interest of the U.S. will be the last Bush to ever hold office. GOD HELP US

January 4, 2009 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  3. FreeNLovIt

That's okay. W made all the mistakes a politician can MAKE in the history of the universe. Now, it is up to us, to make sure we elect Prez who serves America, not the lobbyists. It is up to future Prez to NOT repeat the same mistakes that he made. Let's learn from it and MOVE ON!!! STop living in the past like these TERRORISTS and EXTREMISTS who must always carry BOMBS. Do Good!!!

January 4, 2009 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  4. FreeNLovIt

To George in Alaska

Thank you for sharing the truth. Right now, only the TRUTH will set US all FREE. For eight years, we have been on an ALCOHOLIC journey, denYing our alcoholism and denying TREATMENTS to our alcoholism. Lies can only take us so far and you'll have to embrace the truth, to truly live.

January 4, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  5. Tim

By the time Bush was inaugurated in January 2001, signs of a recession were appearing. the Bush years seemed to exemplify the most grievously wrong-headed aspects of U.S. foreign and domestic policy since the election of Ronald Reagan in 1980. The 2008 election will mark the end of an era, though no one knows for sure what will come next. The Bush White House has brought the world’s most powerful nation to a point of crisis, possibly even to the brink of catastrophe. The financiers and stock brokers have run rampant in the 2000s under President George W. Bush. They’ve been called, only half-jokingly, “The Masters of the Universe.”
    But their excesses have been encouraged by the Bush administration, the Federal Reserve, and the government’s regulatory agencies, which have combined to facilitate an explosion of leveraged speculation in the housing, hedge, equity, commodity, and derivative markets. More shocks undoubtedly lie ahead. Has the New World Order proved to be a parasite that killed its host? Maybe in the U.S. it has. This administration has been the worst in history.”
    One thing is certain: the legacy left by President George W. Bush is indeed a kind of Armageddon. We can't have another BUSH our our leader to promote their own agenda. WAKE UP AMERICA !!!!!!!!!!!!

January 4, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  6. John Bumgardner

I have always considered CNN to be the "Clinton News Network" and articles like this prove it. Was FDR the worst ever also because of how he handled Pearl Harbor?
    And why is the senior Bush considered "old" when tomorrow CNN will run articles of liberals suing people for being called old?

January 4, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  7. Anne

I would agree that W. is one of, if not the worst president. It should be noted though, that we're the ones that re-elected him. And instead of pursuing impeachment proceedings, we kept him in office. To some(emphasis on "some,") extent, we have no one to blame but ourselves. We re-elected him in '04.

January 4, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  8. Lisa Vilen

Anyone see a Jeb Bush/Palin ticket in 2012? Oh yes, I see others have commented on that already. I'll be mean and say: The hillbillies will love that one.

January 4, 2009 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  9. Laura

Christine: What's this WE voted Bush into the Presidency stuff? YOU might have, but I certainly didn't - niether time, so none of his failures are MY fault, honey. Actually, I blame it as much on the people who voted him in (like you) as on W. himself.

January 4, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  10. max (NY)

Ha,ha, ha; Haaa haa... Ouch! I'd love to laugh, but if I do, I'll poop.
    I'd rather cry.

January 4, 2009 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  11. FortLauderdale

Florida is in dreadful shape. The economy is worse than the rest of the country, thank you. The infrastructure is inadequate and not up to the population. The state and the counties and the cities are broke. The Libraries are broke. Crime in Miami is the favorite topic of TV shows, fiction and non-fiction. The schools are awful (and broke). The environment is degraded and the metropolitan areas overbuilt and ill-conceived.

Is that what Jeb Bush will bring to the White House and America at large? Wait a minute. I thought his dad already did it.

There is a saying: A bird in hand is worth more than two under the Bush. Well, we've got two - make it three - under the Bush. Let's find a bird. Maybe it can fly.

January 4, 2009 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  12. Roland

Read my lips:
    No more Bushes in the Whitehouse!

January 4, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  13. Modest Republican

Alrighty than!

H.W. Bush wants his kid, in the office. I get that. I totally get that. I think Jeb is actually more qualified than his brother Dubya. I also think that he would be a very good President if he would be elected.

H.W. was not a bad President. He was the reason Clinton worked his magic the way he did. H.W. provided a modest stimulus package which WORKED and saved the country from an economic downfall. The recession went on for about 3-4 months before he caught on and said something was wrong.

As for Obama. I voted for him. I felt that voting for McCain would be a sign of ignorance. I am a right-winger though...and considering I am at a decent age I too may run for the open Senate Seat!

JUST KIDDING!

January 4, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  14. Cheryl from MN

Well all I have to say about this is, I hope the American public has learned a very good lesson from having a Bush as President. If my fellow Americans are fool enough to elect another Bush for President, I tell you, we are a DUMB lot and we deserve whatever hardship and suffering we get from it! I feel the Bush family think they are American Royality and own the White House and we Americans are no better than the dirt they walk on. I hope I don't live to see the day another Bush serves as President.

January 4, 2009 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  15. Zion

What's really unfortunate is that Jeb is actually the smart Bush. He would never run with Palin. That's okay, America agrees on one thing, we need to keep our bushes shaved. I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

January 4, 2009 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  16. No more Bushes or Clintons or..;.

Regans or Nixons or Kennedy's or

there should be a rule of one per family

January 4, 2009 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  17. Karen

Jeb Bush is as much a liar and a cheat as his brother. We cannot afford to tolerate the lying and shady dealings of this family ever again.

Please... no more Bushes ever in the White House.

January 4, 2009 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  18. S Callahan

Christine...you are right..but with the state of this country...and the world...I think it's fair to give some vent.....
    But you have to laugh....really..this is a democracy...not a kingship....
    it's not a right to be put in high position..it's a privledge and some mighty ones are facing some neaby humbling....what isn't solved in this life will certainly have finality in the next.

January 4, 2009 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  19. Susan

Oh great-the Bush's are already plotting to send up yet another of their own to take this country even further down the sewer than what we already are. Jeez, anyone who thinks another Bush is the answer to this country's sorry state is just hopelessly stupid.

January 4, 2009 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  20. LP

i Jeb Bush the eldest son of George HW Bush? i thought dubya is the eldest!

January 4, 2009 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  21. johnny5bears

JEB 2010 U.S. Senate. You have my vote sir. Heck, I already got my bumper sticker on my vehicle.

January 4, 2009 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  22. Read MY Lips

What arrogance!

I cannot think of anything that would make me happier now than to see Dubya and his gang of treasonous s.o.b.s indicted for war crimes and crimes against humanity, sent to the Hague, and imprisoned for life!

Hey George Sr., Read MY Lips: NO MORE BUSH!!!

January 4, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  23. noah

really?

jeb was a terrible gov. bush was terrible president. Hopefully the republicans and americans are smarter than that!

January 4, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  24. Mel of Alexandria, Virginia

Everyone who is qualified has the right to run, but as for me and my house we will stay out of the bushes because a snake could be waiting

January 4, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  25. Who was Michael Connell?

NEVER,two stooges were more than enough,the best part of Jeb ran down bleep bleep bleep.

January 4, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |