January 4th, 2009

Leading Democrat: Bush 'the worst president we've ever had'

Sen. Harry Reid, pictured here with Pres. Bush in an April 2008 file photo, stood by his persistent criticism of the 43rd president in an interview Sunday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – As the nation prepares for the inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama, a leading Democrat is not letting up in his criticism of President George W. Bush.

“I really do believe President Bush is the worst president we’ve ever had,” Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

Reid pointed to Bush’s failed plan to privatize the Social Security program and also said Bush “has done his very best to destroy Medicare” in order support his assessment of Bush’s presidency.

Asked by David Gregory if he had any regrets about his persistent criticism of Bush, Reid responded, “I am who I am.”

“I think you just have to call things the way you see them.”

1. JM

He's a fine one to talk. He's the worst majority leader ever. The only one with a lower approval rating than Pres Bush is congress.

January 4, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  2. Tom from PA

For at least my lifetime – Reid's right... GW is the worst I've ever seen.

January 4, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  3. Mesa Mick

Reid doesn't usually doesn't get it but this time he's spot on....

Now, put your money where your mouth is Reid – put Bush on trial for war crimes and breaking his oath of office to "protect and defend" the Constitution. Like so many of the Dems however, you probably don't have the spine for it – to bad....

January 4, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  4. DrMan

At least Bush isn't a racist like Reid. Can you imagine the uproar if Bush had done what Reid did and told Blago not to pick blacks to replace Obama because he didn't want Republicans to win the seat at the next election? He's a bitter old man who deserves all the animosity he gets; at least until he's voted out of office in 2010.

January 4, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  5. richard rohde

Way to strike that tone of bipartisanship that Reid and all the Democrats love to talk about. Why didn't Gregory ask him about all the earmarks he is promising on the "stimulus" bill, while the VPE is saying there won't be any. Which one do you think is being truthful?

January 4, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  6. Clint, Kentucky

And thankfully in 2006 and 2008, Americans voted the way they saw things...

bye bye Bush, you won't be missed...

January 4, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  7. Eric Jones

Yeah Reid, lets just let the liabilities of social security and medicare ruin the entire nation as we sink farther into debt. The fact is we cannot support those who do not work. Look at GM they are the micro version of the entire united states.
    Sorry that i smell too Reid. I hope you find yourself long gone very soon. Your the worst Senate majority leader of my life time. Fortunately for you, Americans don't even seem to know your name, or party affiliation.

January 4, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  8. j

He is certainly in the top 5. This country may never regain the status it once had but he's not the only one to blame. He had help.

January 4, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  9. CommonSense

He is correct. Unfortunately, Reid is the worst Senate Majority Leader we've ever had!

January 4, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  10. observer

Harry ; you criticizing Bush is hysterical !! Look to your own approval ratings . What a hoot !!

January 4, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  11. GOP no more!

that's what happens when a retard becomes a head of state

January 4, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  12. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

AMEN TO THAT....

Bush was a disaster in every way

January 4, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  13. Minnesota man

Reid is right Buush is the worst President ever in the world.

January 4, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  14. TrueIndependent

This is one of those very rare occasions I find myself agreeing with Harry Reid.

January 4, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  15. Notnek

George Bush is the cause of thousands of deaths,, and the looting of the American Treasury by the greedy and powerful. I cannot understand why he is still in office and not in jail.

January 4, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  16. Jeff, California

Nontheless, Harry Reid may very well be the worst Senate Majority Leader ever. His polls are barely better than those of the President. This kind of sniping IS today's greatest problem. Godspeed to Obama and all the change I pray he brings to DC and America.

January 4, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  17. john q public

I am moving to las vegas nv just to vote against this useless politician
    nevada deserves much better than this old bitter man.after he's gone its off to california to help ms pelosi retire.

these clowns need to look at jimmy carter and the current congress
    before they start throwing stones

January 4, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  18. Proud American

I think Reid was being really, really nice with that comment. Bush should be honored...Idiot

January 4, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  19. Neal

True dat!
    Say what you will, but in every measurable way this country is in worse shape now than it was 8 years ago.

January 4, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  20. Texas Teacher

Oh, come on…. I mean seriously! The Republicans have been drunk with power and out of control for 8 years….it is time to take whip and chair and drive them back into their caves! *LOL* And Bush is the leader of the pack... so it only makes sense to begin with him.

Sorry, I couldn't resist! Actually, I'm all for this "all the People" business… but it's hard to keep a straight face looking up from this black abyss Bush and Company have been dug us into! You either laugh or you cry! :)

January 4, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  21. big R

I believe the comments against Pres. Bush are comming from one of the worst leaders of the senate of all times. His posistion did nothing for the country for the last 2 years, and I believe Pres. Obama will get some of the same and he will not be able to get the senate and house to cooperate and pas what he wants. A great stale mate.
    Especially when it comes to the second amendment,and gov, Spending

January 4, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  22. Shannon

I agree. It sickens.. I hope Obama is the greatest we've ever had. I am looking forward. Its time to pay it forward for our country. Lets all make a difference and get back on track. We can do it...

January 4, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  23. Tim

I really believe that Harry Ried is the worst Senate Majority Leader America has ever had. The Senate needs to kick his butt out of the leadership role and give it to somebody who will have the guts to make the tough decisians, stand up to his own people and look out for us.
    Bush has not been a very good President, that's true. But if I were to choose between the 2 as the worst, it would have to be Reid, I think most Democrats like me who are struggling everyday, that have an open mind and not a kool aid drinker, would agree. Shut up and leave Reid.

January 4, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  24. pam Eugene OR

Reid is a blow hard and in his own way almost as bad a Bush. I don't think he will work well with the new administration. He is too fixated on punishing Bush instead of moving forward.
    Reid is way too partisan to be good for US recovery.

January 4, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  25. Patrick

I think Reid is the worst senator we've ever had. When he said "I believe we've already lost the war" he stabbed every person in the military in the back. He needs to be removed from office. Like Bush or not he's done what he's thought is right for our country, Reid has done what he's thought is right for Harry Reid.

January 4, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |