January 4th, 2009

Leading Democrat: Bush 'the worst president we've ever had'

Sen. Harry Reid, pictured here with Pres. Bush in an April 2008 file photo, stood by his persistent criticism of the 43rd president in an interview Sunday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – As the nation prepares for the inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama, a leading Democrat is not letting up in his criticism of President George W. Bush.

“I really do believe President Bush is the worst president we’ve ever had,” Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

Reid pointed to Bush’s failed plan to privatize the Social Security program and also said Bush “has done his very best to destroy Medicare” in order support his assessment of Bush’s presidency.

Asked by David Gregory if he had any regrets about his persistent criticism of Bush, Reid responded, “I am who I am.”

“I think you just have to call things the way you see them.”

1. Alicia

Tell us something we don't know, Harry. The ignoring the 9-11 attack threat memos. Turning his back on Katrina hoping him and his Cheney friends would go out and buy up New Orleans taking advantage of the situation.

Oh yeah, and Jenin happened on the BUSH watch as well. Look at what is going on now that every other country is appalled but this administration.

Goodbye and Good riddance Bush. We see you are trying to leave as big a mess as you can for President Obama, again the people will have a brain and someone with the 'desire' to be President.

The Presidency was a fluke for Bush and why he stole it in 2000(Florida) and 2004(Ohio). Who would have thought anyone could make a big of a mess as Bush, Cheney and Rove!?

January 4, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. sick n tired

And you Mr.Reid are the worst Senate Majority Leader we've probably ever had! Even though I agree with you about Bush, You and Pelosi have done nothing to brag about! So don't go breaking you're arm patting yourself on the back just yet!

January 4, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  3. shooting fish in a barrel

I think this is pretty well agreed upon by some 70% of the population, the other 30% believing that Palin should run again

Goodness what narrow view of the world that 30% must have

January 4, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  4. charkey

agreed :)

January 4, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  5. Sherrol in Canada

Reid is a crotchety old man, but I do agree with him about Bush.

January 4, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  6. Jack Lancour

I can agree that President Bush was not the best to have ever hold the office but he was far from the worst. Give me him over Carter and Clinton any day. Carter did nothing good or bad and Clinton brought more shame to the office than anyone cares to remember. You can't blame the president for the current situation as we all know congress really runs the country. The congress has done nothing the past four years and if you are being honest about things they had/have a lower rating than President Bush as far as the job goes. Lets start fresh and let gongress and the new president do we what voted for them to do and that is to run the country for the good of everyone and stop the politics that has ruined this great country. As a retired military man I would give my life to protect the country to this day but expect the elected officials to do their job as well and that job s not doing what is best for themselves or their party but what is best for all of us in this great country.

January 4, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  7. Kirsten

I love how Harry Reid says this like he's so important. If I recall correctly, Harry Reid hasn't exactly been a beacon of light himself, so how does he feel he has any authority on this subject.

January 4, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  8. a REAL American

Who are you to talk, Senator? Nobody's denying that Bush made all kinds of mistakes and boneheaded comments, but please tell us, Mr. Reid, what accomplishments do you have to brag about? And no, pushing through pork barrel projects and wasting taxpayer money doesn't count!

January 4, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  9. ABG

If Bush had not been stopped by the Democrats, Social Security and Medicare would have been trashed.

Senior citizens need to be protected from lofty ideas that threaten their well-being.

I am looking forward to the next eight years being lead by the Democratic party.

January 4, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  10. Daniel

sure, he calls it how he sees it now that Bush is leaving office and his numbers are down... just like all the others in Washington, he way too scared to say or do anything when it mattered

January 4, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  11. Puddytat

He may go down as the worst President ... Obama will go down as the RACIST one that sent Black kids to College and White kids to war.

January 4, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  12. Jacky

Ya think?! I'd rather have a President who screwed his intern than one who screwed his country. Please bring back BIll - my check books, savings account, equity in my home, and 401k all miss him.

January 4, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  13. karl ernst

Reid continues to make statements that can only suggest he a complete idiot. Add to this one his statement that the Senate will decide the Minn. seat race which only provides support for that notion. He should ask the people of Minn. what they think. Also, he has apparently recommended to the Illinois leadership that they consider two white women for Obama's vacant seat because he thinks Burris, a black man, cannot win the next election. Such wanton huberis! Finally, since he thinks Bush is so bad, he should try to explain the toilet bowel ratings by Americans that Congress is receiving under the 'duh-huh duo's' – his and Pelosi's- leadership. Mindless blatherings from zero-grade 'leaders' is not what we need right now. All I can say is he must like the taste of shoe-leather because he always seems to have his foot in his mouth.

thanks

January 4, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  14. peggyledbetter

Yes, I agree Bush is the worst president ever in history alongside his brother Jeb Bush who use to be the governer of Florida. I long the day to see Bush moving truck leaving the White House!!

January 4, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  15. Brenda C

With congress with less approval rating than Bush we understand how Harry Reid can make a comment like this. But hold on old man Reid you aint seen nothing yet. IF you get re-elected you're gonna see what a bad President is.

Israel worried about obama presidency:
    News article reports why Israel's worried.

As for our president-elect, his all-too-coy insistence that "we have only one president at a time" has been selective from the start. Glad to pontificate on stimulus packages and union benefits, Obama has used the one-president mantra to avoid taking stands on difficult issues that bedevil or bewilder him.

Our president-elect needed to make a clear, prompt statement in support of Israel. He didn't. If I were an Israeli leader, I'd be worried, too.

Obama's notorious for avoiding firm stands that might alienate any important constituency. But you can't have it both ways in the Middle East. He needs to stand up in support of Israel. Now.

Israeli soldiers should not have to go into battle worrying about an American bullet in the back.

January 4, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  16. the idiot

I guess that the "change" we have been waiting for. Sounds like the same old attitude to me. Perhaps Reid can take the prestige of the Congress down a few more points. Way to start out Harry.

January 4, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  17. Give me a break!

And that's the way I see them, too, Harry. Now...you, Nancy, and the rest of the Dems had better get busy getting this country back on track – WITHOUT ANY PORK – or else you'll find yourselves out the door just like Bush!

January 4, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  18. Andrea

I agree. Worst president in my lifetime–52 years. Its a puzzle that he was ever elected to a second term. Hopefully we can put this all in the painful past and recoup 8 years of bad policies in short time.

January 4, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  19. dr.mimi de la cruz

REID & OUR OTHER ELECTED OFFICIALS SHOULD TAKE

SOME OF THE BLAME FOR NOT STOPPING BUSH IN HIS

TRACKS WHEN HE WANTED TO GO TO A SENSELESS WAR

& WHEN HE DECLARED WAR ON THE RIGHTS OF THE

AMERICAN PEOPLE. IT WAS CLEAR FROM DAY ONE THAT

BUSH WAS ATTACKING US & OUR ECONOMY MORE THAN

THE PEOPLE THAT BLEW UP OUR BUILDINGS WITH OUR

CITIZENS IN THEM. BUSH COULD NOT HAVE DONE ALL

OF IT WITHOUT HELP. I AM CALLING IT AS I SEE IT TOO.

January 4, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  20. Reatte Beaumont, Texas

This coming from a dumb person himself and his side kick nancy pelosi they are the worst we have ever had they are a bunch of kids a one year old could do a better job than them oh yea and then vote themselves a raise of over 4000.00 and we have people losing jobs everyday. He needs to go get under a rock with the rest of the do nothing congress and then come the 20th of this month we are going to see some crap that noone has ever seen before then we will see who is the worse we have ever had.

GOD HELP THE U.S.A

January 4, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  21. SMR

I agree that the 1-2 punch of Bush,Cheney by far was our worst. Bush was dominated by Cheneys and his cronies. Only the rich and big business ( big oil ) can call them a hero. Many will say that they kept us safe, but 911 happened on his watch. We are hated around the world because of Bushs stance on IRAQ, bulling tactics and plain ignorance on the world financial situation. The American people have seen enough to never elect another far right candidate again. I BELIEVE THAT THIS ANMINISTRATION SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED AND TRIED FOR ALL WRONG DOINGS!!!

January 4, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  22. Griff

Mr Bush was not a Democrat-President..

January 4, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  23. IndiePA

I agree most wholeheartedly! What this man and his cohorts have done in so many ways to this nation will take years and years to repair. I cannot believe that there are still American citizens who are as oblivious as he as to the harm he has done. I still read of supporters who indicate that he is a "God-fearing" man, that his personality traits have caused the issues. Well, the Islamic terrorists are "Allah fearing". Does that give them an excuse? His personality traits have caused the issues...well, if you consider arrogance, stupidity, inability to speak coherently (even when documentation is provided) and a mind set put in place by Cheney, Rumsfeld and the other anti-Constitution idiots as personality traits, I'd have to agree. Good riddance!!!!! Hopefully, this country will have a future.

January 4, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  24. Ted:Canada

Yes BUSH fell into every political trap possible!!

NOW for the future!

Isarel promoting world hatred and terroirism...

Amercia needs to tell them to STOP – they will not listen to anyone else...

Obama – your silence will come back to hurt you BIG TIME!

DO NOT repeat BUSH and mistakes.

You DO NOT win peace by war – Bush's mistakes.

January 4, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  25. Former Republican

PART OF THE PROCESS OF GETTING IT RIGHT IS TO OWN

OUR MISTAKES. I VOTED FOR BUSH TWICE. I GOT FOOLED !!!

I DID NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE INTELLIGENCE REPORTS.

REID & OTHERS DID & THEY LET BUSH DO WHAT HE WANTED

TO DO. SOME OF OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS DIDN'T EVEN

BOTHER TO READ THEM. ALL THAT VOTED YES ON IRAQ OWN

A PIECE OF THE BUSH LEGACY. THEY ALL BUSHED US.

January 4, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |