January 4th, 2009

Leading Democrat: Bush 'the worst president we've ever had'

Sen. Harry Reid, pictured here with Pres. Bush in an April 2008 file photo, stood by his persistent criticism of the 43rd president in an interview Sunday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – As the nation prepares for the inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama, a leading Democrat is not letting up in his criticism of President George W. Bush.

“I really do believe President Bush is the worst president we’ve ever had,” Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

Reid pointed to Bush’s failed plan to privatize the Social Security program and also said Bush “has done his very best to destroy Medicare” in order support his assessment of Bush’s presidency.

Asked by David Gregory if he had any regrets about his persistent criticism of Bush, Reid responded, “I am who I am.”

“I think you just have to call things the way you see them.”

1. dave

umm. jimmy carter, anyone? nevermind. facts just cloud things.

January 4, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  2. Hawaii

Of course Bush is the worst president ever: 4000+ Americans dead, he can't give speeches, he uses the war on terror as a ploy to scare Americans (look what happened to the Muslim family on AirTran a few days ago!), he "stays the course" even when he admits he was wrong, a president that let gas prices get up to $4.50 in Hawaii! He's a guy that cannot work with a Democratic congress, either, thinking that conservatism is always right. He's drained the 401Ks and investment accounts that my parents and millions of others like them have been working up for retirement.

In an essay that I wrote for a macro economics course a few years ago, I was all for the republican model. Tax cuts so the money coming back to consumers could be spent to jump start a sluggish economy. Boy did I get my head examined!

I'm 29 years old – the only democrat in office during that time was Clinton (I was a baby when Carter was in office). We had Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II – looking at history, these republicans basically screwed America for a long time to come. Good luck Mr. Bush, and good riddance.

January 4, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  3. change in America

President is the worst president we ever had I know it going to be celebration in the street when he gone.

Bush the worst person in the world

January 4, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  4. So True

People knew he was bad during his 1st term, but they voted for him again.

January 4, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  5. Paul in SC

Worst Senate and Congress we have ever had. Your approval rating was lower than Pres. Bush. No room to talk!!

January 4, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  6. LD

Give the guy a break. He had the worst circumtances to deal with ever. Hey dems- you won. We'll see who the best president is after 4 years.

January 4, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  7. And how many terrorist attacks have we had in the last 7 years under Bush??

None. Zero. Zilch.

But now Obama comes along and I ask: How will Obama improve on Bush's 100% terrorist free years-Answer: He can't.

Buy your armored car and flak jackets now.

January 4, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  8. Dave

Isn't Harry the guy who declared "the (Iraq) war is lost" ....

Nuff said....

January 4, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  9. Clinton Supporter

So I see Tubby had to withdraw. Isn't that a shame. What goes around comes around. I'm sure Bill Clinton is having a good laugh, I certainly hope so. I know I am!

Turns out Richardson preferred Barack and his sleazy Illinois friends to Hillary Clinton. And how right he was to "stick with his own kind." Definitely not Hillary's type at all.

There will be overwhelming silence from the Clinton camp, but personally, I'm hoping Carville says something so I can have another good laugh. He did hint that we were not through with scandals among the Democratic "leadership."

Now I wish someone would go after Howard Dean. I guess I'll have to be satisfied with the Blagojevich nonsense for the moment. Sooner or later, the ways in which Barack himself got dirty hands will come out, too.

I'm patient. I can wait.

January 4, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  10. casper

i don't know if he would be the worst, but i do believe america is at an all time low, it's a sad time.

January 4, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  11. Dan

Stupid thing to say when your coming guy has no experience and has done nothing and is starting with bad economy and very complicated world situation, and is aguy that tries to please all!
    Wait a bit before you conclude the Bush period (that was less than ideal, but why the need to such an extreme statement at this point.. campaign is over and Obama did not start!)

January 4, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  12. brian

Well, D'uh.

January 4, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  13. MA

I think the "gang of 2 1/2" - Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld, should be tried for war crimes.

January 4, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  14. Rex from TX

Bush placed politics over science and religion over politics. Thank you, God, for getting rid of Bush!

January 4, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  15. Greg, NH

I believe George Bush has been one of the best presidents we ever had. There was no 9/11 in any of the other presidents' term. Harry Reid is the worst politician and the senator we ever had. He has been campaigning that Iraq war is lost. I am sure American people will teach him lesson in the coming election.

January 4, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  16. BOOMER

Bush is stupid and his wife may have canckles but that Jenna has a nice tush

January 4, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  17. upchucked

Ted:Canada, you seem to feel the Israelis are the aggressors in this feud. Let me ask you this. If Cuba started firing missiles at Florida, to the tune of 50 or 80 a day, day in and day out. How do you think the US would respond? Should we listen to the UN when they say to exercise restraint? Should we hold off on action in the hopes that Cuba would stop? Lets expand it beyond Cuba. Name me one country that you would allow to act as a belligerent toward the US without our taking retaliatory response.

And what has Hamas' response been? Have they said they would stop the rockets? No, they have only said that they will kill all the Israelis that cross into Gaza. About the same thing as Saddam saying it would be the mother of all battles.

Personally, I think Israel should wipe the SOBs off the face of the earth. It might just be that this is the time and place for it to happen.

January 4, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  18. TT

My 9 year-old son keeps on asking how and why Bush got elected a second time; I have not answer for him 'cause I've been asking the same question myself. If Bush is the worst those who elected him and/or supported him until recently must be willing to share the blame.

January 4, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  19. Sam

"Leading Democrat" ?? If so the democrats are in worse shape than thought. Without a doubt he and his house counterpart, Nancy, are the poorest excuse for the word leadership I have ever seen.

January 4, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  20. Fed up

Reid is an idiot. And everyone who supports him is an idiot. The current Congress is responsible for the entire sub-prime melt-down. It was the sub-prime fiasco that tanked the economy. This idiot can't even run the Senate well and he thinks he and his gang is fit to run the American Auto Industry? I just call them as I see it. Reid is an idiot.

January 4, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  21. Wisest one of All

Very True! And the saddest part is that the racist empty suit hussein nobama is going to make Bush look like Lincoln. Proven Fact!

January 4, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  22. Gloria

Without reading the article.....

I sooo CONCUR !

January 4, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  23. CL Cook

To most living Americans he is probably to worst we've had so far.
    In the great sense of history, he won't even crack the bottom ten.
    We've had much worse Presidencies. It's just that most of us weren’t alive during their reign.

January 4, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  24. suzyku

He's right! This country has seen enough of the Bush family to last a lifetime! Good by, good riddance!

January 4, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  25. Independent

I guess 76 % of the American people have said the same thing...he is the worst in my lifetime.....

January 4, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |