January 4th, 2009

Leading Democrat: Bush 'the worst president we've ever had'

Sen. Harry Reid, pictured here with Pres. Bush in an April 2008 file photo, stood by his persistent criticism of the 43rd president in an interview Sunday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – As the nation prepares for the inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama, a leading Democrat is not letting up in his criticism of President George W. Bush.

“I really do believe President Bush is the worst president we’ve ever had,” Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

Reid pointed to Bush’s failed plan to privatize the Social Security program and also said Bush “has done his very best to destroy Medicare” in order support his assessment of Bush’s presidency.

Asked by David Gregory if he had any regrets about his persistent criticism of Bush, Reid responded, “I am who I am.”

“I think you just have to call things the way you see them.”

1. FreeNLovIt

We are moving into an era of TRANSPARENCY. Prepare for 666.

January 4, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  2. George

Coming from the Senate Majority leader of the worst congress that we have ever had this is quite a statement. A do nothing congress does not help the government in any way and to try to distract from Reid's leadership by badmouthing the Administration and in particulr Bush really shows a total lack of leadership.

January 4, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  3. Ultra Republican

I hate to agree with democrats, and Reid especially, but Bush really was the worst president in my neoconservative opinion. I'd like to drink a beer with him though.

January 4, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  4. Tom in San Diego

Seems to me this is like:

The pot calling the kettle black!

Geesh...

January 4, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  5. JF

..... you won't get an argument out of me !!!

January 4, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  6. James

Amazing how those who serve as senators or congress men/women want to continue expressing how terrible President Bush is and soon to be was. I think more people need to look at there elected officials and ask the important questions that mean most. Research and find out if they really did anything while serving as your representative. You will be amazed that they probably have done very little.

January 4, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  7. marcus

I agree with senator Reid, he is the worst president weve ever had. The history books will not be kind at all to JR.

January 4, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  8. John in KY

By far the worst in my lifetime!
    I have voted both partyies before but never again !

January 4, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  9. Dave in Chicago

Aaron from Ohio

Well said.. I agree completely. While I am not a fan of Bush, it's too early to completely judge just how big/bad the ripples are in the American pond.

January 4, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  10. SPS

How quickly and conveniently Democrats forget President Jimmy Carter! Democrats complain about Republicans dividing the country, isn't this type of attitude the cause of division? It feels like Liberals, ala Sentaor Reid, only support and love the US when a Democrat is in command. Even though I didn't vote for President-elect Obama and don't really support his agenda, he is my President and my hope is for him to be successful. If he is successful we are all successful. Isn't that what America should be about? This type of speech from a career politician should be laughed at and not applauded.

January 4, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  11. JOEY/ OREGON

Bush has done his best to destroy America. The sooner he is gone the better.

January 4, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  12. Jason Suniga

I think President Bush did the best he can under the circumstances that happened during this time in history. He stood by his word always 100% and always accepted responsibility for his action; what else do you expect in a honorable man. Not all decisions were popular but the job he had was not to please everyone but to lead a country. As a former U.S. Marine that served seven years during his term I am glad to have had him as my Commander and Chief. I served and fought honorably and now I got a high position job in the civilian sector. He is a person that I feel shows true leadership and commitment and is not afraid to speak what he feels is right.
    Thanks,
    Jason Suniga

January 4, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  13. James

there is no arguement- Bush is the worst president~ ever! No matter what way you put it!

Thank god its over! Happy New Year everyone!

January 4, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  14. elmo the demo

Bush may or may not be the worst president that we've ever had but there is now no doubt that Harry Reid is the worst senator that Nevada ever had and worse, the worst Senate majority leader that the US has ever had. He is a crook, a thief (real estate and other delaings, the successful ones and the ones he bungled) and there have been comments about his ties to organized crime. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I can't wait for the day that Harry boy gets to do the perp walk for the cameras. That will be a day to celebrate.

January 4, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  15. DOC

"Temporary" did exactly as he was told to do...

January 4, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  16. flyfhsak

I am not that fond of Bush and I voted for him – twice ! I have seem comments about how O Bama is going to bring PEACE to the Middle East. How bout we just stay out of the Middle East all-together and let the Middle East work out their own problems. Why does the US always have to be the mediator in this pretentious issue when the vast majority of the Arab world doesn't even want our help in the first place. How bout we turn over a new leaf – I know it will be hard, but lets ( the US ) just stay out of every other country's business and worry about our own domestic problems here at home. Look at Iraq for example. We have tried so hard to bring stability and peace ( and our form of democracy ) to that country and after all that effort I firmly believe that regardless if it's a year from now or god forbid 10 years from now the last US soldier out of there is gonna be dodging bullets. We just can't be worlds traffic cop anymore. There's nothin in it for us to keep doing this. That's my take. Reid's no saint but he's partly right about George Bush. Let's see what Obama can do with our broken down mess of an economy. He sure can't make it any worse than it already is. I'm very disappointed in the Bush presidency sorry to say.

January 4, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  17. Brad

Oh, we've had much worse than Bush. But he's definitely nowhere near the the top of the list, that's for sure.

And what a coincidence...because Harry Reid is the worst Senate Majority Leader we've ever had! The guy is a total complainer, and with no alternative ideas to anything he ever criticizes. Get this guy out of our Senate!

January 4, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  18. Jim

Worst in my 49 years--by far. But the truth is he was
    merely a reflection of what a large number of stupid
    people wanted--easy answers to complicated
    question, preferably single syllable ones!

January 4, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  19. Dave in Chicago

P.S. If you write in all CAPS, I immediately ignore you. It's irritating.

January 4, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  20. Joe Brown

Reid is a joke as Majority leader, but he's 100% correct on this one.. and I'm a republican although a moderate one.

January 4, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  21. ml - California

You are one to criticize Reid! True, Bush has been a bad President.
    What does that make you? You have not hesitated to "throw money" to your rich buddies on Wall Street and elsewhere. You have no concern on the impact this is doing to American Taxpayers! As a Senate Majority Leader, I would grade you with an F! Clean up your act and respect Obama, who needs a chance to be a decent President!

January 4, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  22. Ellie

People of Nevada cannot stand Harry Reid. He is a complete and utter JERK. He should be removed from congress all together. Unfortunately the elite control Washington not the real people.
    The democrats wanted power so badly that they have created the hatred towards Bush, Reid and the democrats are the ones who have diminished the office of the Presidency. They speak about the president like he's nothing not taking into account their words are heard around the world. Its no wonder the world thinks it can say whatever it wants about the US. All our politicians have made our country look like a joke. The only thing the policians care about are themselves and the elite. Reid is the biggest WUSS I have ever seen, a guy who thinks HE will tell the American People whats good for us instead of listening to the people. They're all power crazy with our money. Bush isnt the brightest light bulb, but lets all realize something. THE PRESIDENT IS A PUPPET CONTROLLED BY OTHERS ANYHOW. GET A CLUE FOLKS. WAKE UP.

January 4, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  23. bill in montgomery

And this coming from the leader of a Congress that has consistently had a lower approval rating than Bush????? If I were Reid and Pelosi, I wouldn't be talking about someone being worse in their job than they have been. The only thing worse than Reid and Pelosi being in Congress is when they seat that clown, Al Franken, as a Senator! Talking about a joke!

January 4, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  24. Harry

Meet the Press should spend their time talking to credible people.
    All Reid (and Pelosi) have done is make Bush's approval ratings look high.

January 4, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  25. Ry

And in other news, Reid will be making an announcement later today to let the nation know that water is wet, the sky is blue and ice is in fact cold.

January 4, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |