January 4th, 2009

Longtime Clinton aide says he'll run for VA governor

Terry McAuliffe, a longtime aide to the Clintons, made an announcement about his own political future in an online video released Saturday evening.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – After years at the side of Bill and Hillary Clinton, Terry McAuliffe told supporters Saturday night that he intends to run for Virginia’s highest political office.

“On January 7, I will announce my candidacy for the governor of Virginia,” McAuliffe said in a video e-mailed Saturday evening and posted on terrymcauliffe.com.

“As governor, I’ll make it my job to protect your job, grow this economy, make Virginia a leader in renewable energy, focus on long term transportation solutions, and give our children the best education so they have a chance to pursue the American dream right here in Virginia,” McAuliffe says as he looks directly at the camera.

Striking a theme reminiscent of President-elect Barack Obama’s presidential campaign, McAuliffe told supporters, “When it comes to fixing our economy, there’s no such thing as a Republican job or a Democratic job.”

“It’s about bringing people together create good jobs. That’s the kind of leadership I believe in.” he added.

The formal announcement of McAuliffe’s candidacy has been expected for some time. McAuliffe, a longtime aide of both former President Bill Clinton and Sen. Hillary Clinton, most recently served as the national chairman of Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign.

Virginia Republicans have nominated Robert McDonnell, the state’s Attorney General, to try to reclaim control of Richmond for the GOP. McDonnell has already been endorsed by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal.

McAuliffe faces primary competition from at least two fellow Democrats: state Sen. Creigh Deeds and Brian Moran, a member of the state House of Delegates and the chairman of the House Democratic Caucus, also have announced their candidacies for governor.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Terry McAuliffe
  1. Sherrol in Canada

Something about him doesn't ring true, he won't be trusted and won't carry Virginia.

January 4, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  2. Brandon4Hillary

Go Terry

January 4, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  3. Carpetbagger

What is it with the Clintons and carpetbagging?

McAullife, stay away from VA. We do not need or want your kind of politics here.

January 4, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  4. Sherrol in Canada

@kushiro.............

Amen, nuff said!!!

January 4, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  5. James From Chicago

He'll make a great Governor.

January 4, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  6. FreeNLovIt

Rich or poor, everyone has a dream. Go for it!! This is the land of the FREE and BRAVE...

January 4, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  7. Brandon4Hillary

OMG the haters, we got your back terry! Go get em! Terry!

January 4, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  8. Ernie in LA

Texas Teacher, you need to move to Alaska and shoot you a moose.

January 4, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  9. Peter M

This man is a drunk. Anyone who saw how he run Hillary's Campaign into the ground would have to be stoopid to hand him the entire state of Virginia to screw up. People of VA. watch out; tell Terry to take a hike.

January 4, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  10. Gimmeabreak

McAuliffe certainly fits the Democrat's current mold for politics: crooks (Blago), shady dealers (Richardson), loudmouth empty suits (Reid, Pelosi, etc.), cheats (J Edwards), and incompetents (Schlossburg)...

January 4, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  11. Who was Michael Connell?

Another needlenosed,lipless Republican in Demos clothing.Thanks for Nafta, outsourcing and insourcing our jobs to India,and anyone else that would give him a bag of money.

January 4, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  12. No Hillary = No Obama

Hillary Clinton lost the election, in part, because of people like this guy who couldn't see the steam roller coming until it was too late. What kind of foresight is this? Virginia can have him.

January 4, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  13. Dave

Is he going to run his campaign like he ran Hilarys? If so he souldn't waste his money.

January 4, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  14. William Wirt

Oh My God - Will China claim us soon!

January 4, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  15. UVATeddy

There should be a minimum residency requirement, for all states, to stop carpetbagging trash. Stay home Yankee!

January 4, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  16. Cindy Nelson

I hope he runs and I hope he wins. He's a good guy, and I think he would do a fine job.

January 4, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  17. T.T.L.

With all due respect, Mr. McAuliffe is far too partisan for Virginia. We are a moderate state that respects good ideas whether they come from Democrats or Republicans. We do not tolerate the venom of national politics, and we will, no doubt, produce our own genuine Virginia candidate and keep the opportunists in their respective realms.

January 4, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  18. A Virginian

I'm a Virginian, and I will not be quick to vote for anyone tied to Hillary Clinton or The Bush's.

January 4, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  19. This guy cost Hillary the nomination-----

He blew the 20 point lead Hillary had over Obama by having a non-strategy--we don't need him anywhere in government- WE ONLY WANT "SMART" PEOPLE-NO MORE JERKS

January 4, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  20. Ann

good luck..

January 4, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  21. Texas Teacher

the idiot January 4th, 2009 12:33 pm ET

Yes Texas Teacher and the NEA will lead the way just like it has for the last 50 failed years with the complicit support of the libs and ACORN to elect another union toady.
    -------------------------------

Pitiful.... you just called yourself IDIOT... NOT ME.... *LOL*

I will not even dignify ignorant comments from the obvious.... what did you call yourself....idiot.... with a response! :) Watch out.... "your sheet is showing".... I think proud american said that....

January 4, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  22. Texas Teacher

All I can say to the nay sayers.... is that if the truth hurts, let it hurt!

Repubs are the one who dug us into this hole..... now they need to get out of the way and let someone who knows what they are doing get us out! And that, my dears, is Barack Obama and Company!

January 4, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  23. Texas Teacher

Ernie in LA January 4th, 2009 2:53 pm ET

Texas Teacher, you need to move to Alaska and shoot you a moose.
    ___________________________________________________

Ernie, when you have to attack the messenger instead of the message, you have lost the debate. Basic rules of debate...

I give you credit... at least you didn't call yourself. idiot....or was that you? :)

I usually don't waste my time responding to such nonsense. Your opinion/s about me are none of my business. I know who I am and how to be in the world. So I do not need to defend my stance on any issue.... Agree or not, it's up to you... I really don't care one way or the other.

January 4, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  24. Renee

The nerve of this guy. He is way too combative. I hope the folks in VA have other worthy democrats to consider.

January 4, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  25. joseph

another bush dont think so!hopefully george will be headed to the hague for war crime. for sure worst political famly ever bushes

January 4, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |