January 5th, 2009

Minnesota canvassing board certifies Franken win

Democrat Al Franken moved one step closer Monday to claiming a seat in the Senate.

(CNN) - The Minnesota State Canvassing Board certified the results of the recount of Republican Sen. Norm Coleman's fight to retain his seat against Democrat Al Franken. The results show Franken with a 225-vote lead.

1. Ryan, Salt Lake City, UT

I guess Al Franken is good enough, smart enough, and people do like him.

January 5, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  2. carter from mn

Seriously guys how can you say that Al Franken stole this election. Throughout the entire recount process Norm Coleman has been trying to block votes from being counted and now that he is behind he calls shenanigans. Also I do remember a comment from the former Senator saying that if he were in Al Franken's situation (on November 4th when Al was behind by 215 votes) that he would stand aside... way to live up to your word. Although I do have to say, Al Franken, only 42% of us voted for you, remember that and you may get re-elected. I would also like to point out that people from Minnesota all realize that this election was done right and that it was very transparent, So we don't always vote for career politicians, boo hoo. We vote for who we think can best do the job, and I would vote for Jesse Ventura again because while he stuck his foot in his mouth a lot, he got a lot done here in Minnesota.

January 5, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  3. Wayne from Fullerton, CA

All you folks calling one side a scumbag or that they stole the election are obviously condeming the very system you claim to hold so dearly. It was an election..., very close indeed. The votes were recounted only once..., and not at the request of either party. It was done so because Minnesota law requires it. You gotta stop bagging on the one team because your team didn't win. As an unbiased observer..., I must say I know little children who act more adult than you are acting.

January 5, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  4. Jason

Nothing as pleasant to my ears than right wing bitterness! Ahhhh...

January 5, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  5. alvino

Way to go Al! This marks the end of Coleman's reign of corruption. Why is it that some feel that if you count the votes, the election is stolen?

January 5, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  6. Dave

The state of Minnesota has taken the label " the land of fruits and nuts" away from California.

January 5, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  7. Micah

Say what you will about the Bush administration. It really has no bearing on this article.

What is interesting is that in both 2000 and in this election, the Democrats were VERY concerned and crying over whether every vote got counted. In both, once the Democrat took the lead, the demos' lawyers called everything to a halt (in spite of ongoing questions of whether all votes were properly counted) and a declaration of the demo as the winner.

In Florida, the demos were pushing for democrat votes to be "found" or "deciphered" while looking through the crystal ball of "voter intent." The same thing happened here. Franken pushed for votes to be counted but when the same standard would have given Coleman votes, Franken did not want them to apply.

Whatever happened to putting your cards on the table, counting the votes, and letting the results stand. As it is, the demos push in any race they lost until they can drum up enough votes to put them over the top.

These actions, along with most of the Democrat Party, are pathetic.

January 5, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  8. Rick-Missouri

Well, I'm not surprised. Everyone knows the Dems are the dirtiest, filthiest, scummiest, low-down, cheating, ballot box stuffing, election stealing people on Earth. The recount wasa great way for the Dems to quietly have 'missing' ballots 'found' so 'every vote could be counted'. PLEASE!!! And if you saw the ballots that were considered questionable, and that went to Franken instead of Coleman, it's most disturbing (ballots that were obviously for Coleman were often declared for Franken, unless of course you saw things through the eyes of a Democratic election official...). The only positive thing to come out of this is that Franken is too stupid to come-up with any legislation, or debate the issues. He will be completely harmless, though he will help give the Dems one more vote. The citizens of Minnesota will get to see Franken for the idiot that he truly is, and will never re-elect him to the Senate. Honestly, I predict the citizens of Minnesota who really voted for Franken (not those whose votes were erroneously changed to be for Franken), will rue the day that they elected this clown to Congress. Honestly, I've never seen a worse pick for Senate in my life! Have you heard this idiot? His radio show was canceled for a reason: nobody wanted to hear his tripe. He's also a super-sensitive wimp with a bad temper. I can't wait to hear what he says when he's pressed to debate issues on the Senate floor. He'll then get to show his true comedic 'genius', the only problem being, he will be attempting debate the issues in a serious manner!

January 5, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  9. J.P..

Ok hippies... now that Frankin has recounted and recounted his way to a senate seat, you have now officially lost the right to piss and moan about Florida 2000. Can we call this one even?

NOW can we storm the castle???

January 5, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  10. Rae

Hurrah!
    Being from Minnesota, it's great to finally have someone who cares about the political process. To those that are arguing that this was stolen, in no way do I feel that that is the case. In my opinion, we have representative elections, and I feel like our system is pretty strong.
    Franken asked for votes to be counted when they may or may not be in his favor. He took a chance that worked out. He simply wanted the ballots counted. Imagine that, a place where votes actually matter.
    I, for one, am glad that my vote was a part of his election.
    There were 12,000+ Absentee ballots rejected, and Coleman and his cronies have gone through them to find 650 that were in his favor to be accepted. I say, count them all! These absentee ballots were rejected properly, but if Norm wants them counted, then we should count ALL of them (including the other 550 or so that he didn't hand select). Don't you think?

January 5, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  11. MIKE J

THIS IS AWESOME!

January 5, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  12. Jason

Nothing as pleasant to my ears than right wing bitterness! Ahhhh...

January 5, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  13. alvino

January 5, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  14. Rae

Hurrah!
    I, for one, am glad that my vote was a part of his election.

January 5, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  15. American

I am happy that MN got rid of corrupted coleman, repubs stealing election is your but this time your tactics didnt work, rememeber you can cheat once but not all the time.

Go Al!!

January 5, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  16. John

Yahoo!!!!
    Through hard work, Al gets another, "Franken Decade".

January 5, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  17. American

I am happy that MN got rid of corrupted coleman, repubs, stealing election is your but this time your tactics didnt work, rememeber you can cheat once but not all the time.

Go Al!!

January 5, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  18. Jason

Nothing as pleasant to my ears than right wing bitterness! Ahhhh...

January 5, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  19. Peter

Coleman is a hypocrite. When he had a slight lead he chastised Franken for wasting taxpayer money on a recount. It was not Franken,s call to make. State law ditates that all close elections are subject to recount. Now that he is behind Coleman says he will sue. I sure like his face. Both of them.

January 5, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  20. Dave

January 5, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  21. Micah

These actions, along with most of the Democrat Party, are pathetic.

January 5, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  22. mitch

I am looking forward to when Carrot Top steals the Minnesota Governors race from Will Farell. But seriously folks.... Any comparrison to Florida and Ohio are rediculous. For one, those results were upheld not overturned. Secondly all the major liberal news outlets investigated Florida and Ohio ad naseum and found nothing, despite the enduring liberal urban legend of the "Stolen Election". I guarantee the New York Times will not be investigating this election. I was always taught that a statistical impossibility is proof of cheating. Frankens vote pick ups are loaded with statistiacal abberations

January 5, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  23. Rick-Missouri

January 5, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  24. Rae

Hurrah!
    I, for one, am glad that my vote was a part of his election.

January 5, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |