January 5th, 2009

Obama girls go to school

The Obama transition team has released photos of the Obama girls preparing for school Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama doesn't begin his term for another two weeks, but daughters Sasha and Malia began theirs on Monday.

According to the president-elect's transition office, Michelle Obama accompanied the two daughters to the Sidwell Friends School Monday morning - along with an expansive motorcade of U.S. Secret Service agents.

Sasha, 7, is in second grade and attending the elementary school campus in Bethesda, Maryland while Malia, 10, is in fifth grade and attending the Sidwell Friends middle school campus in Washington, DC.

View more photos of the Obama girls getting ready for school

Filed under: Malia Obama • Popular Posts • Sasha Obama
  1. Baze

Who cares

January 5, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  2. richard rohde

As much as I am uncomfortable with PEBO, I certainly would not even dream of attacking his family or saying anything derogatory about them. Maybe the lefties could leave Palin's family alone, but then again that will never happen. It's the difference between honest diagreement and pathological hatred and the the lefties are demented.

January 5, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  3. Nebraskan

Is this really worthy of being on the POLITICAL ticker? Telling where these girls are going to school, when they start, etc.?

January 5, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  4. Crazy wacko

Thanks for the info!

January 5, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  5. This is NOT CHANGE

Big Deal.

January 5, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  6. Robin

The girls are great and will do fine.

January 5, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  7. Obaman

Obama and Michelle are real role models for the nation. May the Lord help them!

January 5, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  8. Elizabeth in Texas

I cannot imagine what a emotional change these girls are going through and how nervous they are today. I bet Michelle is even more nervous for thos precious girls.

I am praying for this family.

January 5, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  9. C Spurgeon

Wish them well in their new adventure..now the press needs to back off and give them privacy so they can enjoy their new school and friends,

Nice family and I hope a great President. Happy New year to All!

January 5, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  10. Leigh

And how is this news?? They go to school like anyone else's children, albeit an expansive motorcade, etc. I don't see the attention bestowed anyone else's children on their way to school as most of the time, children of all ages love going to school on their first day.

CNN – please stick to more important and urgent news stories happening daily here and around the world!

January 5, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  11. TAMMY

HI GIRLS, I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE SPECIAL, KEEP YOUR HEADS UP HIGH, AND BE ALL THAT THE WORLD KNOW YOU CAN BE. YOU HAVE GREAT PARENTS AND THAT ALONE, REGARDLESS IF THEY ARE PRESIDENT AND FIRST LADY YOU GUYS ARE LUCKY TO HAVE PARENTS LIKE THAT

January 5, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  12. carol

Good Luck to these two cute little girls, hope they enjoy their new school and make some nice new friends.
    Looking forward to seeing the whole family on Jan 20th...what an historic and proud moment for this country.

January 5, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  13. micheal

I remember what it was like to go to a new school, and even if they are the "First Children" and it seems all on top of the world for them, I know this is a stressful day for them.

January 5, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  14. Sherrol in Canada

I hope, seperated by campuses for a year or two, won't result in any form of anxiety for Malia and Sasha. I'd imagine the different locations was a topic of discussion in the household and no doubt both parents worked very hard to dispel any fears.

January 5, 2009 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  15. versala

This was a bad move by the Obamas.....

They should protect their young girls from the media instead of promoting their celebrity status.

January 5, 2009 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  16. sensible Cape Coral FL

We are fortunate indeed to have such a beautiful family in the White House. I feel very sorry for those of you who can't – or won't – rejoice in this event.

January 5, 2009 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  17. Sheri

Wishing the O girls a happy new year and a spectacular year in school. Young ladies I wish you well! Be blessed.

January 5, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  18. JAS

Welcome to my first family. I am so excited.

January 5, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  19. Virginia

Did grandma drive them?????? Not on your life, like Michelle thought she would. Grandma won't be doing anything like that–Secret Service will be on them like we can't imagine. I don't like Obama, but I feel sorry for these girls to be put in this huge fish bowl they call DC life. I hope someone in the White House keeps them grounded and safe–Mom and dad have their heads in the clouds or elsewhere......

January 5, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  20. Obama for Premier in 1917

Funny that the "common man's" president chose to send his kids to a private school. How's that for "change?"

January 5, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  21. ken

Next stop, White House. Let the future begin.

I feel normacy in the air.......................

January 5, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  22. BB

Richard Rohde – you appear to be in need of psychological monitoring and possibly meds to control your negativity. Please get this year off to a better start for yourself and your family.

January 5, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  23. Pat

Going to a private school. The millionaire Obama sends his children to a private school while telling the rest of us to send our children to the 3rd world public education system. Another case of do as I say not as I do.

January 5, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  24. Gail

Welcome Obama Girls! You are both adorable and will be a great role model for all young girls no matter what race.

Good Luck to President Obama and First Lady Michelle. You are both an inspiration to our Nation.

January 5, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  25. Louis

Leigh - chill out! Geez, someone woke up on the wrong side of the Senate aisle, didn't they?! They're the children of the President of the United States - it IS news when they arrive in town and go to their new school for the first time. Do you t think the principal, teachers, students and parents of those Sidwell Friends campuses are gonna carry on the day "like any other" day? NOT!! Someone - LEIGH - is a bit out of touch . . . or just bitter . . . Oops! Did I say "bitter"?

January 5, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |